NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Playstation Discussion Archive

I'll have to stop using Xfire now...

*sigh*

Heh heh yeah, I don't use it as much as I use to anyway, but now its to do with PS3 I don't want anything to do with it :heh:

Me and Jordan are Sony hateboy brothers :hehe:

Silly 1up!

September 12, 2006 - Today, 1UP News caused a bit of an Internet dust-up with speculation about Sony using Xfire -- an established gaming networking client -- as their own PlayStation Network Platform (PNP). This speculation was prompted by Viacom's Q2 earning's report conference call in which Tom Freston, then still President and CEO of Viacom, commented on how Xfire was developing under Viacom's ownership. "Importantly," Freston said, "Xfire just signed a deal with Sony to create a version of their platform for the new PS3, which will now enable Xfire to extend its reach further into the huge console gaming market."

According to Xfire CEO Mike Cassidy, however, the 1UP article contained some inaccuracies. "We do have future announcements," Cassidy told IGN. "For now I can only tell you Xfire is not part of PS3's PNP."

A representative from Sony explained to IGN that Xfire was contacted and that "some of their [Xfire's] tech will be included in the PS3 launch title Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom."

IGN's own Jeremy Dunham recently offered a tour of the debug version 0.85 of the PNP and a glimpse at Dark Kingdom, which is a fantasy RPG developed by Sony.

Both Sony and Xfire assured us that there would be more details about the PNP and Xfire's role in Dark Kingdom revealed closer to the Tokyo Game Show, which begins September 22.

http://www.360monster.com/newspost.php?id=0000001138

With Dead Rising enjoying masses of success, the chances of Capcom releasing a sequel are fairly high. Although a sequel hasn't been confirmed by Capcom, according to the October edition of Electronic Gaming Monthly, one of the US' most popular gaming magazines, is reporting that Sony may have convinced Capcom to make Dead Rising 2 a PS3 exclusive.

While the October issue of EGM is not currently available to the public, subscribers, who get their copies early, have been posting the magazines contents in message boards. The article also suggests that Resident Evil 5 will also be a PS3 exclusive, despite being officially unveiled at X05 last year.

Looks as if it may be time for Microsoft to dig into those deep pockets again.

Some good news for the PS3 if true.

Sony's PS3 controller can't be called the Dual Shock 3 if it doesn't rumble, so what's the company to do? Rename their controller.

A 1UP user passed along the suggestion that we check the patent records for the name 'Sixaxis' and see what turned up. Scanning the trademark's text it's clear that this could be any number of things (see image above).

However, the term "six axis" has appeared frequently in Sony PR, including multiple times in the May 8, 2006 announcement of the controller's motion sensing functionality:

The controller for PS3 employs breakthrough technology of high-precision, highly sensitive six-axis sensing system that does not require any devices other than the controller itself for seamless interactive operation, thus eliminating additional settings to TVs. With this technology, ways to enjoy PS3 will be further enhanced by accessing PS3 through the network, while retaining the six-axis sensing capability.

1up.

Why 6? That doesn't even make any sense?

The two ticks only move in 2 planes and I thought that the controller could sense in 3 planes or rotation. Is the controller that crap that it only senses 2?

Why 6? That doesn't even make any sense?

The two ticks only move in 2 planes and I thought that the controller could sense in 3 planes or rotation. Is the controller that crap that it only senses 2?

It does make sense... +y, -y; +x, -x; +z, -z... but it's lame nonetheless; "breakthrough technology" my ass, borrowed (as in stolen) technology.

It senses tilt, and it should know when you have it upside down, since a gyroscope knows it's possition through gravity, it's just a center gravity gyroscope, tilt it and he registers those. much like Wii's nunchuck.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...1820.37210.htm

Quote: GI: What about the Nintendo controller? What do you think of that?

Allard: I think it’s well intentioned. I think it’s great for them to say, “We’ve got to make it more approachable.” It’s the same reason our DVD remote, at the press conference I could have done our whole demo on the DVD remote because we put A, B, X, Y on the remote. We put the guide button on the remote. We put the media center button on the remote. You’re going to be able to play casual games on Live Arcade with the remote control.

Four years ago I wrote an email treaty and said, “Why aren’t accelerometers in remote controls? Why can’t I scroll down my channel guide with a gesture instead of up, up, up, up? So I think that’s interesting. We did a lot of research with gamers, talk to a lot of game developers and said, “Should we put an accelerometer in there and do the tilt thing?” And there wasn’t that much enthusiasm around it. Maybe Nintendo will be more persuasive and have more ideas in first party than we did and that will take off. I don’t think that’s the way you’re going to play FIFA. I don’t think it’s the way you’re going to play Madden. I don’t think it’s the way you’re going to play racing games. I think the traditional controller for traditional categories is really going to be what drives that. I don’t think most Electronic Arts games are going to be played with that thing. I think they’re going to be designed for the classic controller.

But to the extent that they do innovative games and bring new gamers in, that’s good. The extent that we think, “Hmm, we’ve got to do something like that too because now there’s a category of third parties that really want a simplified controller.” That’s good. I’d be lying to you if I didn’t say, “Why don’t we just take the Atari 2600 joystick, slap a battery and radio in there, and make that compatible with Xbox 360 too?” Just like we did with USB keyboards you can plug in. Remote control, that’s great. Let’s take it one step further and do a simple controller. We’ve talked about it. I like the idea. I don’t know if I like the implementation because it ain’t my remote. How am I going to watch a movie on Revolution? Am I going to have a different remote than that or am I going to have to use the four colored buttons?

:blank::rolleyes:

^ Yeah right, why do they (sony and microsoft) want to take credit of inventing/having the idea first when jumping in the bandwagon?

Just for the record I had the idea 5 years ago, way before J. Allard; nah, not really, just lying with all my teeth just like him, it's easy to affirm those things.

Gyroscopes have been around for decades, sure... but research and development for using them on wii is no laughing matter, that's the diference between thinking "this is possible" (we all knew it was) and really investing in it... Wii is not a GC controller with a gyroscope in the middle. (PS3 *cough cough*)

Bottom line: They just wish they invented/made the concept if it turns out sucessful. the LOSERS.

The prices of a console and its games are one of the most important factors consumers consider when making a purchase, and Activision CEO, Robert Kotick has just confirmed that PlayStation 3 games will be retailing for around USD60 in North America, the same price Xbox 360 games launched at last year.

"We have not seen a lot of consumer resistance at the higher price points and we expect that all of our next-generation products will be launched at $60 price points," Kotick said, during a presentation. The price tag should come as no surprise to many, especially considering the fact that game prices have been going up regularly, and that Microsoft has already set a precedent with its pricing last holiday season.

Earlier this year, Sony's President, Kaz Hirai suggested that the price of PlayStation 3 games may range from USD60 to USD100 in an article in PlayStation Magazine.

Many game companies have cited rising development costs as games get more realistic and comlpex, and Kotick has named the upcoming Spider-Man 3 game as an example. "[spider-Man 3] is the most expensive product that we've created, and for good reason. You'll see how much it really takes advantage of the assets and the capabilities of the hardware," he promised.

At the moment, it is unclear if other game companies will be following suit and pricing their games at the same price range as well, and no pricing details for other regions were announced. Other Activision in development for the PlayStation 3 include Call of Duty 3 and Tony Hawk's Project 8.

www.ps3land.com

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

43fdfa7f84ik5.jpg

154cea00efub8.jpg

So that means:

Metal Gear Solid 4

Ninja Gaiden (remake i bet)

Devil May Cry 4

Its looking good.

The latest issue of Famitsu has an interview with Kazunori Yamauchi for the new Gran Turismo on PS3.

+ They'll release 2 versions for the new Gran Turismo (they use the same "Gran Turismo HD" name of the E3 demo for the product names) for the PS3 soon. Both support online multiplayer.

+ The proper GT5 is going to hit in 2008. GT HD is meant to grow the rich network service before GT5. The online modes are based on the 4 modes in GT4:Online beta (Quick Race/Tuned Race/Private Race/Time Attack) and several other modes are added. The online will be launched worldwide at the same time.

+ Gran Turismo HD: Premium is essentially a GT5 prologue that uses the full graphics power of the PS3. (Pictures show a 3D spectator crowd, very detailed car models with interiors.) The weather changes while racing. It comes with 2 courses (both original and new, city and nature) and 30 cars including new ones. You can buy additional 30 cars and 2 courses (real circuits) later online. This version (or both GT HD, not sure) is a pure driving simulator and almost a tool. You don't get cars in in-game events, you just do whatever you want with games and courses or buy new ones via online.

+ Gran Turismo HD: Classic is what adopts the GT:HD playable demo at E3 and meant to showcase the online aspect. A race is done with about 20 cars. Apparently this version starts with no cars or courses. You download a car for 50 - 100 yen (0.43 - 0.85$) and a course for 200 - 500 yen (1.71 - 4.26$). Over 750 cars and 50 cars are available for purchase. Users can define race events freely and can hold online race events by themselves.

+ Not all cars and courses are available on the release date, they are added monthly. Some models may be a limited release for 1000 units. New playing modes and tuning parts may be available via download. It's still undecided if they allow trade among users in fear of real money trade.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Info

- No release date yet

- This is considered the "complete edition" of Ninja Gaiden

- Racheal is playable

- New stages, battle engine will be improved and upgraded

- Graphics and direction is going for a major overhaul

- New weapons, dual katana wielding

[quote name='Dante;238419

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Info

- No release date yet

- This is considered the "complete edition" of Ninja Gaiden

- Racheal is playable

- New stages' date=' battle engine will be improved and upgraded

- Graphics and direction is going for a major overhaul

[b']- New weapons, dual katana wielding[/b]

holy fuck day one purchase

Still pretty gay that theres no 360 version... then again it is just a remake.

There's horse armor and then there's the kind of microtransactions that Famitsu is reporting (via: Beyond3D and the vitriolic NeoGAF). According to the Famitsu inteview with Kazunori Yamauchi, Gran Turismo HD will have two SKUs on the PS3. One of these games will ship with no cars, all of them will be purchased via microtransactions.

The other, Gran Turismo HD: Premium, will ship with two courses and 30 cars, with an additional 30 cars and an additional two courses online at a later date. The Premium game is being considered a prologue to the PS3's eventual Gran Turismo 5.

The microtransaction-focused game, Gran Turismo HD: Classic will be the online-focused entrant into the GT-series. In this game, players will (reportedly) start with no cars or courses available to them. Instead, they will need to purchase their stable of cars and courses to race on. The pricing reported in the Famitsu piece indicated that cars would cost between 50-100 yen ($0.43-$0.85) and courses between 200-500 yen ($1.71-$4.26). There are approximiately 750 cars and 50 tracks available for purchase in the GT: HD Classic. Let's do the math:

750 cars for $0.50-$1.00 (Sony will round-up, don't you think?)

50 tracks for $1.50-$4.50

A complete copy of the game will cost gamers somewhere between $426.50 and $975, and that's without factoring in whatever Sony decides to charge for the menus (since that's all you'll get with GT HD: Classic).

Does this sound a little familiar? It should. Phil Harrison alluded to a possible future like this one last June in OPM.

I'll give you an example; Kazunori [Yamauchi, producer of the Gran Turismo series] would kill me for this: Imagine Gran Turismo shipping on a disc with one car and one track. And then you can browse, online, a dynamic circuit of vehicles that's growing every day because either the car manufacturers are adding new vehicles or we're adding new vehicles. And you can see a specific-type car that's being called up and say, "I think I'll play with that one. Let me download and play it." Maybe the business model allows you to play it for a day; maybe the business model allows you to own it forever. But that content is now yours on your hard drive. Or [maybe you could download] new tracks, new music, whole games.

Now, is it possible that the game will be a full-priced title with a built-in download system that allows users to download cars and tracks equal to the number of the game's retail price? We hope the model ends up similar to this. However, right now, details are extremely sparse, and Sony has to have an answer to these questions -- most of the people who can answer are over in Tokyo, we'll update if we hear back.

Welcome to next-gen. :blank: :blank: :blank: