NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Playstation Discussion Archive

You can get the games for 10/20£ less than that though. In fact, it could equal out to the same price. But now, you have the option to not ahve to pay so much.

I was just going on the prices and bundles at work (currently £425 for console, MS, Res, Sega Rally and extra pad). Thinking of it from a work point of view as someone was asking me.

The 40GB version is still rubbish.

Joystiq Editorial

We feel Sony's move to drop backwards compatibility from the 40GB PAL model was at best misguided and at worst cruel to its consumer base.

First off, the cost to Sony for including the software emulation is very minimal. Though some people have cite the Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer, both of those pieces of hardware were removed from the PAL design in late February 2007 and cost an estimated $27. Essentially, the software emulation has been running entirely on PS3 hardware for the full extent of its tenure in the PAL region. So that $27 that Sony is presumably saving by not using software backwards compatibility is misinformed.

Regarding PS One titles, Sony has told GameSpot that they will be compatible, which is a good sign. But why not extend those compatibility options to the PS2 library? As previously denoted, that software in its present form runs fine on PS3 hardware.

The 60GB model cost €499 (that's €100 more) and enjoys the addition of 20GB more disk space, two more USB ports, a flash card reader and software emulation - as a whole, that doesn't sound worth another €100 in component parts or production costs, nor does it show what in that list allows for PS2 compatibility software to run better.

There has also been discussion about choice. For this, we want to remind the readers that the 40GB is currently only coming out in Europe, where their only other option is the soon-to-be-dropped (reaffirmed in a line from their recent press release) 60GB version. The 80GB model is not coming to PAL territories.

But perhaps it is a cost-cutting hardware issue that no one has seen. If that's the case, then Sony would be wise to say so, instead of highlighting the 65 PS3 titles reportedly able to justify the loss or downplaying the importance of backwards compatibility when, as recently as 2006 Sony's Phil Harrison said that "backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2 and now PS3."

Could the software be offered later as a download? That's a definite possibility, although it would beg the question why the company couldn't have added it originally, as well as if that compatibility software would be provided for a nominal fee.

As it stands, no hardware deterrent has been revealed, and the public relations are doing nothing to remedy that error. Does adding the software during the production of the unit, particularly when other software like the operating system is being uploaded, cost that much more? We don't see it, and we're grasping at straws trying to find a reason for it. (Other than diverting PAL gamers' money from buying last-gen software to new-gen offerings.)

So what's the big deal - why does the backwards compatibility matter? The previously-mentioned "core value" quote from Phil Harrison best sums it up, that with the PS3 we are buying into the PlayStation brand and all that it entails. Gamers who pick up the 40GB model have lost access to over 8,000 titles - many of them the best gaming has to offer. The elephant in the room is that Sony could ween out backwards compatibility from all its available models over all regions. Should you care? We think so.

So does this mean we are only getting the worst version of the console? :s

Eventually yes. The 60GB version will continue alongside the 40GB one until it is sold out. Then its so long decent PS3, hello craptastia.

looking for a good game to give for christmas, a platformer or an action/adventure thing.

Thanks for advice etc.

PS2 is a awesome classic system. I've got so many games for that console, must atleast be hitting 100 or more now.

What games do you recommend for it?

I still need to finish Okami and FFXII. Trouble is the PS2's now in my brother's room as the DVD player.

I'll probably get the 40gb at some point. (i still only have 1 360 controller, and i've never played an original xbox game on it)

What games do you recommend for it?

Depends what genres you are into. I like alsorts so I've got a fair amount.

Excellent games though are ones like Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, God of War 1/2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Devil May Cry series, Katamari Damacy, If you are looking for certain genres I could recommend you some too.

Here are a few of my favourites.

Ratchet and Clank series

Jak and Daxter series

Onimusha series

Devil May Cry series

Final Fantasy X

The Bouncer

Tekken 4-5

Kingdom Hearts 1+2

God of War 1+2

Extermination

Shadow of Colossus

Under the Skin

Monster Hunter ( only if you have online )

Metal Gear 2+3

Bought and sold, bought and sold, and bought and sold PS2s in the past...But now I am ready to start collecting all the Final Fantasies and other series. But I always like to advance technology-wise...So I am never quite able to want to get a PS2 again but instead look towards a PS3...which has its attractions. So RIP PS2.

This has angered me so much, I was planning on buying a PS3 in the future, but it seems likes its falsing me to buy one now, or I will miss out on BC (Which is very important for me).

Grrr, so damn angry :mad: :mad:

This has angered me so much, I was planning on buying a PS3 in the future, but it seems likes its falsing me to buy one now, or I will miss out on BC (Which is very important for me).

Grrr, so damn angry :mad: :mad:

The BC is very hit and miss on the PS3, some of the big hitting games dont run that well depending on the version game you have. You may aswell get a PS3 40GB pack and pick up a cheap PS2.

I have a PS2, which has barely been used since I got it as a replacement for my last broken PS2, so I guess the bc isn't too much of a loss. I just wanted to be able to play my old games upscaled. :(

The BC is very hit and miss on the PS3, some of the big hitting games dont run that well depending on the version game you have. You may aswell get a PS3 40GB pack and pick up a cheap PS2.

Its more to do with space then anything, Iam not joking when I say I would not have enough room for 4 consoles (Wii, 360, PS3 and then having to have the PS2 out aswell) small room xD

I so wish I could trade all my PAL PS2 games for NTSC versions, that way I wouldent think twice about importing a NTSC one (Emotion Chip! Yay!).

White PS3 Announced [follow link for pictures]

http://www.jeux-france.com/news22135_la-playstation-3-ceramic-white-au-japon.html

Sony Computer Entertainment announces today the exit in Japan of a model 40 Go de PlayStation 3, of color Clear Black and Ceramic White, as from next 11 November for the sum of 39,980 yen, is approximately 242 euros. Sony Computer Entertainment also announces a fall of price for the models 20 Go and 60 Go as from October 17, passing respectively to 44,980 yen (273 euros) and 54,980 yen (333 euros). It should be noted that new controller DUALSHOCK 3 will be available on the archipelago for 5,500 yen (approximately 33 euros) as from November 11 also.

I recently bought Timesplitters Future Perfect, VERY good games. Perhaps a little easy, but the multipalyer is one of the best on the PS2. Though on the dark levels it's just plain hard to play, which if I was reviewing the game then would take atleast 5% off the score. Making it around 95%...

No, perhaps 89-92%?

I can't give a proper rating as I've only played up to the pinultimate level.

Anyone else got this game? Opinions, etc?

Also I'm looking at Star Wars Battlefront 2 as the origional rocks. I'm just annoyed as Renegade Squadron is only on PSP... Darn, I really want a PSP right now.

Just surfin' the web and I saw a game called Just Cause, any good?

I recently bought Timesplitters Future Perfect, VERY good games. Perhaps a little easy, but the multipalyer is one of the best on the PS2. Though on the dark levels it's just plain hard to play, which if I was reviewing the game then would take atleast 5% off the score. Making it around 95%...

No, perhaps 89-92%?

I can't give a proper rating as I've only played up to the pinultimate level.

Anyone else got this game? Opinions, etc?

Also I'm looking at Star Wars Battlefront 2 as the origional rocks. I'm just annoyed as Renegade Squadron is only on PSP... Darn, I really want a PSP right now.

Just surfin' the web and I saw a game called Just Cause, any good?

Just Cause is an alright game but there are far better games out there on the PS2.

There's alot of classic you can enjoy on the Ps2. Its cheap anyway so no excuses.

...Think of me as some incredibly anal stamp collector, then you'll understand why a PS3 with no PS2 backward compatibility is a no-sale for me. £325 is still a mighty price tag, still sold at the highest price yet with inferior capabilities...What the heck is Sony coming to?

And I was just about to take my beloved Maestro card out when I heard about the new PS3 lite version - but once again, Sony blows the deal.

...But that White PS3 has caught me in a trance...Now I'm picturing playing MGS4 and FF13 with wireless rumble...And ofcourse getting hooked up to all that Blu ray shite...

Jesus...I think I want it now...*_*

Something about the sleekness of the white version that gets me. Black looked too ordinary and unattractive, but the white version seems refreshing coupled with the 'DualShock 3'...Loving it...

(don't take that in a racial sense) :)

Ok, so is it worth me getting the 60 gig PS3 so I can play MSG3, FF12, Shadow of the Collosus, ICO and a few others as well as the PS3 games over the next 5 or so years. Or should I save my cash and just get the 40 gig?

It really depends on if you must play the PS2 games. If you arent bothered or already have a PS2 then just get the 40 GB. Saying that though if you check gameplay.com out you get 2 games if you get the 60GB for 350 extra and both of them ( Heavenly Sword+Resistance ) and supposed to be great. Well I know Resistance is as I have played that :)