NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Playstation Discussion Archive

What's screen tearing?

Is it when the image sorta splits in 2 for a second.

Yeah, think thats what its called. Anyone know why it happens? Shame Pedro doesnt enter these boards ( least I dont think he does ) Im sure he could explain it.

Screen tearing happens when the GPU renders more frames than the monitor can keep up with. Think of it like the monitor is busy displaying a frame, but the GPU has already finished processing a new frame. Then the monitor tries to keep up by displaying the new frame before it has finished the previous one, and that makes the image "tear" or ripple. There is an excellent explanation of it here:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

Alright peeps? No need to worry- I haven't got a PSP :heh: but a few things caught my eye last night on Gametrailers. First there is a review for an RPG, Dragoneers Aria. I'd not heard of the game and I watched the review and it turns out that the game is pretty much as generic as an RPG can get, anyone been interested in it? The other things I was watching was from Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, the game may be a spin off but it looks really good- especially for a handheld game! I watched a fair few pieces of media on the game including the intro FMV, and it looks really good and mirrors the original FF VII intro which I thought was a very nice touch.

Anyhow, heres some linkage if anyone wants to check em out:

http://www.gametrailers.com/platformlist/psp/index.html

I know Takeo was intrested when I bought FF1 PSP, if anybody is intrested Im selling on the trades board

Picked up one of those PSP Slites today. They do look the same really but they are quite light. Feels empty.

Makes you wonder, with all these really good games why the PSP was an utter faliure (in comparison to DS/DSL sales anyway)

Japan first Day Sales: 14/9/07

Crisis Core FF7 (PSP) : about 350k

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (DS) : about 250k

Fate / Tiger Colossum (PSP) : about 40k

Well i wanted a silver one, which sadly looks as though it ain't coming out in Europe!

Also the special edition ones are slightly dissapointing.

May give buying one a miss actually. Only have Silent Hill Origins on preorder.

Yakuza 3 Details

If you'd told us that Sega would be continuing its Yakuza series with a third game on the PlayStation 3, we wouldn't have been too surprised. While the game was a big flop internationally, in Japan, the first two have combined for over a million sales on the PS2.

Now if you'd told us that the third game would actually be a prequel set 400 years in the past, we'd have looked around for a giant cone (or bench, or car) with which to smash you over the head (in case you haven't played Yakuza before, and few of you did, this is a typical scene in the game's battle system).

Officially titled Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! in Japan, this PlayStation 3 adventure takes Sega's adult-oriented franchise back to 1605. Gone are the neon signs of Tokyo and Osaka, now replaced by the neon signs of an Edo Period Kyoto.

The game begins in the enclosed town of Gion, where girls use their bodies for money, and men use their money to buy dreams (that description is translated directly from a Famitsu article on the game... please don't write). Unlike the first two games, which were set in fictional towns designed to look like real places, Gion is a real historical part of Kyoto that was known for its geisha girls.

The story begins when main character Kazumanosuke Kiryu, a bodyguard who will take on any job if the price is right, is approached by a young girl named Haruka. She asks Kiryu to kill Musashi Miyamoto. Musashi Miyamoto is actually Kiryu's past self, and the name he goes by when outside of Gion. This, incidentally, is the same historical Musashi Miyamoto who's regarded as one of the finest swordsmen.

If you're familiar with the Yakuza series, you'll recognize the Kiryu and Haruka names. The two characters may share the same name as the hero and heroine of the first two titles, and they may even share the same basic model design, but they seem to have no actual relation. Presumably, these are the names we'll see in future Yakuza titles as well.

As we've come to expect from the series, Sega has hooked up some serious talent to do the voices for Yakuza 3. The voices for Haruki and Kiryu haven't been revealed, but here's a sampling of the talent for a few of the other characters.

Kojiro Sasaki (voiced by Shouta Matsuda)

Nagayoshi Marume (Naoto Takenaka)

Itou, the bodyguard (Susumu Terajima)

The mysterious monk (Hiroki Matsukata)

Seijyurou Yoshioka (Masaya Kato)

Toji Gion (Takeshi Tsukamoto)

In Japan, these are some of the biggest personalities in television and movies. They'll be put to use this time for more than just their voices, as Sega is using face scan technology to make their in-game counterparts share some visual similarities.

Outside of an adult-oriented storyline, Yakuza 3 appears to bring back much of what made the original two games so special. In addition to exploring a living town, now with more detail than ever thanks to the update in hardware, you'll get to make use of an updated combat system. You can now select between four fighting styles: fists (the standard style from past titles), single blade, dual blade and broad sword. "Heat Action" special moves return, complete with dramatic camera angels.

One of the coolest parts of the first Yakuza games was how your character grew as you progressed through the game. Previously, you learned new fighting moves by consulting with a master. That remains in Yakuza 3, but now you can also learn moves just by witnessing key events. Kiryu will even learn special attacks by watching animals move -- for instance, a dog leaping up to fetch a bone.

Mini games and side quests also have their expected place in Yakuza 3. The game will feature over 100 sub quests, some possibly featuring historical figures. Mini games include shogi, dice and archery -- things you might expect from the Edo Period. Hostess clubs are back, giving you a chance to woo the ladies, although these scenes now take place in a seedy tatami room rather than a seedy bar.

Sega's NE Soft R&D Creative Officer Toshihiro Nagoshi, head producer of the Yakuza series, pointed out to Famitsu in a recent interview that the game doesn't have "3" in the title. That doesn't mean it's an offshoot. In fact, he says the game is being made to surpass Yakuza 2 in all areas, and that we'll slowly learn of the great scale as new information is unveiled.

The information should be forthcoming for this one. Although just announced, Yakuza 3 is already set for Japanese release this Spring, and will have a prominent presence in Sega's booth at the Tokyo Game Show.

What news would that be Dom?

That a new one is coming out for the PS3 ^_^ Will be shown after TGS! WOOO!

I'm still playing 3, 62 hours and 15mins into it so far.^_^

Dom loves Persona so much he'd sleep with it, if it was physically possible.

New DMC4 Scan

5718620070919_173200_0_big.jpg

Info: *Trish returns from DMC1 and Lady from DMC3. People who had the unfortunate chance of viewing the DMC anime that the 3 are well acquainted and are regularly hunting demons. Lady in her 2nd costume from DMC3 redesigned and looking sexier than ever. Trish is about the same, now with slicked back hair.

*The real megaton though is Dante's new weapons, named Gilgamesh. These appear to be Light based gauntlet/greeves weapons which would mean that they are meant to be a replacement for Beowulf or it means that Nero might receive Beowulf.

TGS 2007: Sony's Pre-TGS Showcase

With Kaz Hirai presenting the opening keynote at this year's TGS, all eyes are on Sony to see what titles the company will present for its high powered console. At a pre-TGS press reception, Sony showed off a number of their key titles for the rest of 2007 as well as 2008. No announcements were made, which gave the impression that a larger statement would be made by Hirai to open the show, but most of the titles shown featured new content of some kind. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction on the PS3 was paired with a new and previously unknown entry in the Ratchet universe for the PSP, Secret Agent Clank. There weren't many other PSP titles featured, although the redesigned PSP Slim was on hand, all showcasing the system's Remote Play functionality.

New levels of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune were placed next to stations of Little Big Planet, Wipeout HD, Lair and Gran Turismo HD Concept. While White Knight Story wasn't present at the event, Folklore held down the RPG side of things, while NBA 08 and Hot Shots Golf 5 covered the sports side of the games. Shooter fans were allowed to take on competition with Unreal Tournament III, while puzzle fans were able to check out LocoRoco Cocoreccho! on the PS3.

The PSN wasn't left out in the cold either, with titles such as Go! Sports Ski, Everyday Shooter and Pain highlighting what PS3 owners will be able to download and experience sometime in the future. These were supported by pre-existing titles such as PixelJunk Racers and the expansion to Flow. EyeToy functionality was also showcased, with the most prominent title being Operation Creature Feature, which had players sweeping blobby monsters into exits.

We'll have more detailed information on the various titles shown at the Sony press reception shortly.

The biggest news wasnt that they are bringing out a Duel Shock 3 ( we all knew it would happen ) but that HOME has now been delayed til Spring next year. Thats a big blow to Sony as it was a feature that many were looking forward to including myself.

TRYING to download MGS4 videos... ugh it's always so slow...

EDIT:

Damn it looks amazing. Loved the foxhound "rookie". At least Liquid Ocelot has Ocelot's voice, it makes a little more sense now. I hate that they keep talking about fucking CQC. It was ridiculous in MGS3. Naomi is hot. Acting like a whore, but hot.

But, man this looks hot.

What an awesome trailer, can't wait for Rex Vs. Ray but I hope Raiden doesn't die...