NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Playstation Discussion Archive

what the fuck are they teaching store staff these days eh?

High prices equals high priority.

PlayStation breaks sales records

The PlayStation 3 console has broken UK sales records with more than 165,000 machines sold in the first two days of release, say analysts Chart Track.

More than a million consoles were shipped across Europe on launch day last week with 600,000 sold.

Sony is hoping to retake its title as the console market leader, as Microsoft and Nintendo head the next-gen race.

Meanwhile, games firm Namco Bandai has said it is to use the PS3's Cell chip in arcade machines.

Microsoft sold 71,000 Xbox 360 consoles during its UK launch weekend, while Nintendo sold 105,000 Wii machines.

But both companies offered limited stock to retailers, which led to shortages.

Ray Maguire, managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment UK said the figures were a vote of confidence in the machine.

"Having broken the record for launch sales, we are now replenishing retail stock across the country," he said,

The first arcade title to use the PS3 microprocessor will be fighting game Tekken 6, Namco said.

While PlayStation technology has been used in arcade machines in the past it is believed to be the first time that the Cell will be used for games not running on Sony's console.

Namco Bandai has sold its PlayStation 2 arcade technology to other firms, but it is still undecided about whether to sell its PS3 Cell-based technology, a spokeswoman for the firm said.

not as far as i know, its just a way of helping scientists by allowing your PS3 to run calculations to do with protein folding. Some people at a uni thinks it might be possible to discover treatment or a cure for conditions such as Alzheimer's and make some money from it basicly.

but the program has a few other lil 'fun' bits to it, like the ability to change in what way your viewing the macromolecule and to see a globe of which PS3s in which areas are running the program at the time on a globe.

I can see how this is good but at the same time is it really environmentally friendly to be getting a shitload of PS3 owners to be running this? I mean PS3 takes a fair bit of power to run.

I'm really interested in getting a Wii (yeah i know, still not yet, but next month.. I swear!) but the PS3, sadly, seems to be the better choice future-looking wise. I'm a Nintendo fan but I might purchase a PS3.. too. Not instead of a Wii, but a PS3 too. Maybe.

Gah.. i dont know..

I have a rather stupid and possibly retarded question

If you connect a PS3 via HDMI, how do you connect it to your 5.1 Surround System?

I only earn £600ish a month and I manage to own all three consoles and take driving lessons. :)

If you connect a PS3 via HDMI, how do you connect it to your 5.1 Surround System?

Through some insanely complex system no doubt.

Can't you people be happy with virtual 5.1? :D

There's a separate output for optical cables on the console. You can select which sound output you want to use in the settings menu.

I can see how this is good but at the same time is it really environmentally friendly to be getting a shitload of PS3 owners to be running this? I mean PS3 takes a fair bit of power to run.

as would a shit load of super computers, remember on the 1up show thing that that foreign bloke said the PS3 is really good at handling 'this kind of floating point calculations' so hey ho, up to the user.

Similar things have been done with a screensaver on PCs and stuff in the past.

Does it make me a bad person that I dont run that "Folding @ Home" crap thing? basically I dont trust that all its doing is calculating protein data, and Im not even one to believe in conspiracies and such, I just wowuldnt trust it.....

There's a separate output for optical cables on the console. You can select which sound output you want to use in the settings menu.

So I'ld have to switch my speakers from my decoder to a PS3 every time I use it?

Does it make me a bad person that I dont run that "Folding @ Home" crap thing? basically I dont trust that all its doing is calculating protein data, and Im not even one to believe in conspiracies and such, I just wowuldnt trust it.....

Trust it? What could it possibly be doing? My only concern was the whole global warming thing, but other than that I can't see how it's a bad thing.

I only earn £600ish a month and I manage to own all three consoles and take driving lessons. :)

But then how much of that 600 quid goes on stuff that isn't gaming or driving related. E.g. travel fare, rent, food, etc.

But then how much of that 600 quid goes on stuff that isn't gaming or driving related. E.g. travel fare, rent, food, etc.

DRINK!!!!!

How old are you and whats your job, if I may ask?

Your current field reporter ZF brings you fantastic news.

In newcastle, the Currys store opposite the entrance to Eldon square, has run in limited in number of launch units. When I enquired about how many they had left in stock - they came back to me the number of 9 units.

So yeah this is PS Thripple looks be getting down and jiggy with it of the residents of the north east.

Despite a launch evening spoiled, the sales of the PS3 for Sony starts up on great with 600,000 sold consoles in two days in Europe.

In France, the figure confirmed by Georges Fornay, president of Sony Computer Entertainment France and vice president of SCE Europe, rises to 78,000 PS3 on the same period of two days. France positions itself behind England and its 165,000 unities, but gets ahead of Spain and respectively third and fourth Germany (the amount again are not known). This is 24% better than the PS2 had done with "only" 63,000 sales in two days. Still according to Georges Fornay, the cape of the 100,000 should be attained during the weekend.

For Sony, this would be the biggest success for all consoles in France. Still according to the builder the Playstation 3 and its 78,000 units does better than the Wii and the Xbox 360, with respectively 75,000 and 49,000 flowed consoles in two days. The scarcity is not there, but to this rhythm, the console risks being very quickly in stock rupture in most of the stores.

I read on engadget that the PS3 sol more in its first two days than the Wii. I that right?

I'm quite suprised at this. Didnt think Sony would have enough units for launch.

Ahah i totally didnt read Dantes post.

After thinking about a job and its money prospects. I actually think the PS3 is affordable.

I read on engadget that the PS3 sol more in its first two days than the Wii. I that right?

I'm quite suprised at this. Didnt think Sony would have enough units for launch.

Ahah i totally didnt read Dantes post.

After thinking about a job and its money prospects. I actually think the PS3 is affordable.

Wii sales were limited by stock (it still is), Sony were not.

Pretty simple if we consider that.

1 million consoles or so available at launch is unprecedented, they were able to do that because they aren't selling that much in other continents.

Still it didn't sold out, and that was what Sony was hoping for. There was more offer than demand.

Good launch, no doubt, but Sony was hoping for more.

Any sinister use you can think of for Folding @ Home could just be done via the firmware without you're knowledge, why would Sony give you the option to turn it off?

PlayStation 3 downloadable content has been a bit slow off the start following the system's launch late last year, but Sony at last seems to be kicking things into high gear. The Game Developers Conference brought about first details on Home and Little Big Planet. And now, the latest issue of Famitsu has revealed first details on an original Japanese production, Pixel Junk.

Pixel Junk is a game distribution service by Kyoto-based Q-Games (not to be confused with Tokyo-based Q Entertainment, maker of Lumines). While the magazine only managed to get the vaguest of details, the service promises to feature unique, casual game experiences delivered to PS3 owners via the PlayStation Network.

The name "Pixel Junk" may seem a bit odd for a Japanese studio operating out of Japan's historical capital, but Q Games is no ordinary Japanese studio. The studio was formed in 2001 by Dylan Cuthbert. Nintendo fans will recognize Cuthbert as the guy behind Star Fox (and its unreleased sequel, Star Fox II) on the SNES.

Cuthbert has worked on numerous projects with Sony in the past, including the famous duck tech demo from the PS2's launch and games like Blasto and Piposaru (Ape Escape) 2001. Every time you turn on your PS3, you're witness to a Q-developed product, as the studio worked on the PS3's operating system, notably the wavey pattern that appears in the background of the main menu.

While pricing and release plans were not revealed in Famitsu, given Q's pedigree, we can't wait to immerse ourselves in Pixel Junk.