NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Playstation Discussion Archive

Sony’s PS3 becomes the fastest selling home console in the UK, selling an estimated 165,000 units in its first two days of release, bettered only by its older handheld sibling the PSP which sold around 185,000. PS3 is the most expensive console to be released in the UK, launching at £424.99 with 22 games from 7 different publishers while PSP had 24 games available from 11 different publishers when it was released in September 2005. PS3 launch software registered almost 3 times more units than PS2, but with a similar software to hardware attachment rate of 1.65 compared to PS2’s 1.67.

‘Resistance: Fall of Man’ leads the PS3 assault on this week’s All Formats Chart, awarding Sony with their first All Formats No1 since ‘Shadow of the Collosus’ just over a year ago. Sony’s ‘MotorStorm’ on PS3, by Cheshire developer Evolution Studios, starts its engines at No2 while there are a total of 6 new PS3 games represented in the Top 10 with 13 new PS3 games in the Top 40 (5 of which are exclusive to Sony’s new format).

‘Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories’ from Rockstar/Take 2 tumbles from No1 to No6, behind multi-format newcomers ‘Brian Lara International Cricket 2007’ on Xbox 360, PS2 and PC at No3, Sega’s ‘Virtua Tennis 3’ on PS3/Xbox 360 at No4 and Activision’s ‘Call of Duty 3’, up from No20 to No5 thanks to the release of the PS3 version.

Other PS3 games represented in the All Formats Top 10 are Sony’s ‘Formula 1: Championship Edition’ at No7 and ‘Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07’ from EA which slips from No5 to No9. Format holder Sony grabs the Top 3 games in the PS3 Chart, more than both Microsoft and Nintendo, who only managed the top two in their respective Xbox 360 and Wii launch week charts. Codemasters’ ‘Brian Lara International Cricket 2007’ is not the only non-PS3 new release to make the Top 10 with THQ’s PC game ‘S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl’ sneaking in at No8.

There are 12 new titles that enter the All Formats Top 40 this week, but not all are on PS3 with EA’s ‘UEFA Champions League 2006-2007’ debuting at No15 and ‘TMNT: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ from Ubisoft at No19.

‘Ridge Racer’ may have topped both the All Formats and PSP chart when Sony’s handheld was launched, but Namco Bandai Games/Sony’s ‘Ridge Racer 7’ on PS3 has to settle for No11 across all formats and No5 in the PS3 Chart. EA’s new ‘Def Jam: Icon’ on PS3 and Xbox 360 is at No12 with the Xbox 360 version representing 63% of sales. Sega ‘Virtua Tennis 3’ lobs ‘Virtua Fighter 5’ in the PS3 Chart, coming in at No6 - one place ahead of the fabled beat-em-up, with the PS3 exclusive brawler having to settle for No14 in the All Formats Chart.

Sony’s 5th and final PS3-exclusive launch title ‘Genji: Days of the Blade’ enters at No16 rounding off a very successful week for the publisher.

9685software.png

1223ps3chart.png

Seems like the consoles still sitting on the shelves are down to Sony have a large number of units ready rather that a lack of demand.

So guys, how do you words taste? (You know who you are ;)).

It will be interresting then to see the follow up numbers in the coming weeks, there will be no excuse that small sales are due to shortages.

I dont think the launch in Australia went that well, but again it could be excess supply (annidoctal evidence: small price drop from RRP, JP-HiFi extending 10% off PS3 games, my friend at EB pissed off he did a midnight launch to only shift 6 units). Lets hope Sony are quick to drop the price so I can pick up a unit. Already 1080p widescreen LCD's are becoming affordable here in Australia, and should quickly half in price.

The thing with PS3 vs 360 dilema is that 360 already has a slew of AWESOME games. Give the PS3 some time, and a price cut and it will be much more worthwhile.

and a better control pad, Sony desperately need to make it more comfortable maybe by moving the analogue sticks a bit (SWAP THE D-PAD AND LEFT ANALOGUE PLEASE!!!)

The sales will probably calm down, but the main reason is alot of people were saying it wouldn't sell too well at launch. This is launch and I have to say 165k for a £425 is pretty well in my book.

I think i post this here.

- Final Fantasy XI (Xbox 360, PS2)

!!!

UK is once again Sonyland, that kinda pisses me off... I don't have anything against Sony, but when I talk to normal/casual gamers in my school, they're all pro sony, and they don't give any other consoles a chance. One guy was like "oh, I'm gonna get a ps3 so I can play all my PS2 games on it!"

And one guy was like "OMG, you can play online and download demos, this shows that PS3 is the best console evaR!"....

Am i going nuts or does that mean Sony just took about £62 Million from UK launch sales? That should turn the bank managers frown around...

I think i post this here.

Square Enix Party 2007 lineup

Video & Playable

- Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (NDS)

- Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings (NDS)

- Final Fantasy Tactics: Shishi Sensou (PSP)

- Itadaki Street DS: Dragon Quest & Super Mario (NDS)

- Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Wii)

- It’s a Wonderful World (NDS)

- Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP)

- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (NDS)

- Final Fantasy XI (Xbox 360, PS2)

Video only

- Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition (PSP)

- Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition (PSP)

- Dragon Quest Monster Battle Road (Arcade)

- Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete (Blu-ray Film)

There was me thinking SE gave bottom love to Sony? Guess not so much these days...

Really, really surprised at the amount they've sold. Maybe it will calm down in a while, but you have to say well done for now.

I bought Genji because it was 17.99. It's a game that's alright, but not exactly something you'd go woo play this to someone. Apart from the camera it entertains.

Ah that's the lights of the PS3s that are running the Fold@Home program.

and a better control pad, Sony desperately need to make it more comfortable maybe by moving the analogue sticks a bit (SWAP THE D-PAD AND LEFT ANALOGUE PLEASE!!!)

QFT!!!!!!!!

UK is once again Sonyland, that kinda pisses me off... I don't have anything against Sony, but when I talk to normal/casual gamers in my school, they're all pro sony, and they don't give any other consoles a chance. One guy was like "oh, I'm gonna get a ps3 so I can play all my PS2 games on it!"

And one guy was like "OMG, you can play online and download demos, this shows that PS3 is the best console evaR!"....

QFT!!!

sooo glad i'm not at school anymore . . . still stupid/ignorant people exist everywhere!

I'm so used to it after the 9 years of PSX gaming to care about the analogue sticks anymore. Hated them at first, used them so much it's second nature and all problems have gone.

Wonder if the same will happen with the 360 D-pad, hmm, not keen on that one.

Ahaha, fanboys galore at school, I've always been an open gamer since my early days.

Yeah and for the majority of gamers its really easy to pick up and play, whereas it took me a while to get going on 360 controls...

Yeah and for the majority of gamers its really easy to pick up and play, whereas it took me a while to get going on 360 controls...

really?

i think the 360 controller is the best one ever made, as do a number of games journalist and people i've spoke to.

just because you accustomed to something doesn't make it better.

It's interesting people say that, because my friend Leanne also prefered the PSX/PS2 pad and had to really learn the 360 pad, after learning it, she likes it fine now.

I myself seem to learn pads fast, and yeah I'd prefer the 360 pad out of the two (or three with classic controller/gamecube pad)

really?

i think the 360 controller is the best one ever made, as do a number of games journalist and people i've spoke to.

just because you accustomed to something doesn't make it better.

Yeah thats true sure I was acustomed to it, but the 360 was bit clunky PS controlls are a bit more sleek and I prefer them even though Im used to the 360 controlls now...

All I can say is then well done on Sony for actually supplying more than what the demand was.

But the actual results aren't really that stellar when you considering following facts:

1) PS3 was four months beyond its competition

2) They only sold more on launch because they had more units. It's not like that Wii wouldn't have sold 165 000 units* on first weekend if there would have been more units available.

3) Only 165 000 people were actually interested about buying PS3 even when it was readily available. IF you can't generate enough interest or hype even on launch, you do have problem.

* Number is from MCV

It's not Sony's fault that the competition didn't supply enough, also you have to remember sales reports have to end somewhere. So it could be still going or not.

I really can't see how you can fault Sony for actually meeting demand. 220K consoles is awesome and I didn't see the others do that. Hell Nintendo ship like 10 consoles to U.K every week (just a joke number, but you get my point)

It's not Sony's fault that the competition didn't supply enough, also you have to remember sales reports have to end somewhere. So it could be still going or not.

I really can't see how you can fault Sony for actually meeting demand. 220K consoles is awesome and I didn't see the others do that. Hell Nintendo ship like 10 consoles to U.K every week (just a joke number, but you get my point)

but Nintendo have sold more total, Sony only have this one launch as a kind of feather in its cap.

Yes they have sold more totally, worldwide and in U.K (no surprise there)

It's also hella of a lot cheaper so I would expect it to sell alot more. It's also something different. It doesn't exactly have awesome games yet, just like the PS3 but it's the interest that it's different and the hella cheaper price that is making it sell.

Like I said the sales will probably slow down next week, but down to what who knows. I certainly know they won't be 100 PS3s sold next week, it will be a lot higher.

Yes they have sold more totally, worldwide and in U.K (no surprise there)

It's also hella of a lot cheaper so I would expect it to sell alot more. It's also something different. It doesn't exactly have awesome games yet, just like the PS3 but it's the interest that it's different and the hella cheaper price that is making it sell.

Like I said the sales will probably slow down next week, but down to what who knows. I certainly know they won't be 100 PS3s sold next week, it will be a lot higher.

i'm interested to see if it sells more than Wii or 360 next week. pity we'll never really know.

Well they will be high demand for next week sales, so Chart-Track will probably release them as well.

Well they will be high demand for next week sales, so Chart-Track will probably release them as well.

Here's hoping. If it does get released i think 360 and Wii will both outsell PS3-just an inkling.

Is anyone else bored to death of sales figures?

Still, Sony certainly made a good job of the PS3 launch in the UK. I seriously wasn't expecting it do nearly as well as it has, mainly because I don't know anyone that's bought one, or indeed anyone that knows anyone else that has. Obviously the people around me aren't representative of the country as a whole, but it just seems a bit weird.