NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Playstation Discussion Archive

http://taketa.livejournal.com/5325.html

came across this today a nice little read entitled "r.i.p playstation?" seems bit biased but nevertheless

is there any size comparisions of the wii/PS3 anyone has come across?

question - these blue-ray movies any ideas how much they are gunna cost?

Most people have dvd players so why should people buy movies again but with bit higher quality :S the quality of dvd playback is good enough for me.

Is this thread just for PS3 bashing? Xbox 360 thread feels like a small community of gamers, this thread seems like a small community of people slagging off Sony lol.

Is this thread just for PS3 bashing? Xbox 360 thread feels like a small community of gamers, this thread seems like a small community of people slagging off Sony lol.

It's because hardly anyone here actually wants to get a PS3 because of the price I think. Loads of people have 360's here so they are talking about that in there :)

this is a wii forum so gunna be a tad biased ;)

And that :heh:

(am I the first person to use the multi-quote feature properly?)

When it comes around to the PS3's release, i think a little community will start to form.

Saying that, i don't think there's that many people around here who care passionately about the sony systems anymore. Look at the official PSP thread, its more or less dead. Hmmm. Maybe people are just losing faith?

this is a wii forum so gunna be a tad biased ;)

Oh yeah, definitely. You'll be hardpressed to find another site dedicated to one console that is not biased. We're biased, but there's waaaay worse out there. ;)

(am I the first person to use the multi-quote feature properly?)

Probably not. But, i must say, its awesome.

Yay for easy quoting and posting.

Poor little xbox360. :cry:.

OMG i just realised how fucking huge the PS3 is and how stupidly ugly it is!!!

and people slag off nintendo consoles for their aesthetics! the PS2 was a fucking toaster for christs sake!!!

thats my epiphany of the night! a thank you! *bows*

OMG i just realised how fucking huge the PS3 is and how stupidly ugly it is!!!

and people slag off nintendo consoles for their aesthetics! the PS2 was a fucking toaster for christs sake!!!

thats my epiphany of the night! a thank you! *bows*

Seriously though... PS3 is a example of bad design for me...

Design is meant to be functional... now let's look at that console... if you put it horizontally it has a rounded top that doesn't allow it to the stacked up with other device or even another console, it has to be on top, as it's rounded it's not even a good surface to leave a DVD game box that is currently in use; and on the vertical it doesn't even allow to use it as a "plain" surface to support the DVD game collection against it as it's rounded. Really, really bad functionality, useless functionality actually.

You can do all of those with PS2, GC, X360 and Wii it's just logical.

Also, as the console has a tendency to generate heat... that heat tends to go up and it finds a ronded, closed top... where does the hot air go? well it goes out on the sides, but really this could mean a few degrees more in there., all because they want to have a rounded top without holes (if they had some holes in the highest part os the piece the air would naturally flow up from there, at least). For god's sake, X360 has refrigeration holes on the top.

I read this at another forum

Actually, DivX can encode with much better quality than XviD with the same filesize. But XviD plays much faster. The best format now is H264/AVC and the best codec for it is x264. It encodes a really clean picture with a small filesize, but it needs a lot of PC power. Anyway, H264 has already become a standart for BD (Blueray Disc) Video.

Is this guy stupid for saying this, or is it really happening?:woops:

Well its not that xvid reads faster but encoding it is faster from what I know.

Are certain versions of the psp firmware required some games? Or can any game play on any version?

Basicly, the latest games for PSP require a high firmware version. If you have the latest firmware upgrade, you can play anything, but when newer games arrive you may need to upgrade again.

This is because its forcing users to change the firmware for the new games because on older firmwares your able to emulate which is what sony dont want on the PSP.

ive read that if you buy a PS3 game you enter into a "contract" so you cant sell the game to GAME/Gamestation (i.e so they can sell second hand) is that true??

prob means you wouldnt be able to sell blu-ray disks either.

ive read that if you buy a PS3 game you enter into a "contract" so you cant sell the game to GAME/Gamestation (i.e so they can sell second hand) is that true??

prob means you wouldnt be able to sell blu-ray disks either.

sony thought about it but they chose not to yet if my memory serves.

thanks that is what i thought might happen :mad: on a better note my psp just paid for itself i was at a press conference the other day and had my psp in my pocket with my showreel on it and used it to show my showreel to some potential clients and behold my company picked up a tv advert gig that should pull in a few quid!!

Yeah! I was just about to post that!

I'll probably get that for the PS3......

I may get Call Of Duty 3 on Xbox 360 now, because COD2 is superb on Live, so hopefully it will be just as good!

the 12-16 yr olds (i.e dont have much money) on this forum is there any of you asking for a PS3 for xmas? and do you expect ur parents to buy a £425+ present for you for xmas?

i would find it a insult at that age just to ask for such a expensive present.

also on a sidenote have blu-ray movies been given a price yet? as they will no doubt be more then dvds. its just dvds with higher quality.oooooooo who cares..im guessing £25-30 each or can get on dvd for ALOT cheaper

Thankfully i'm not buying a PS3 my brother is. His 23 mind you.

and no, i would never ask for a £425 gift for Xmas, even if i was younger. Being 19 years old, the prezzies are kinda decreasing now...but if i was given a PS3 for xmas, that would probably be my gift from my mum/dad.

It's very expensive. Can't see many young-ones being able to get it, sadly. More for the full-time workers and adults.

I read this at another forum

Is this guy stupid for saying this, or is it really happening?:woops:

It could be happening, AFAIK they haven't said 100% which formats the Blueray discs can have their movies encoded in. But they should have by now, so they might and I just haven't seen that info yet.

H264 is a rather awsome movie compression, check out the trailers at Apple, they are all (atleast the HD ones) encoded in H264, and they have both good quality and small filesize.

It's very expensive. Can't see many young-ones being able to get it, sadly. More for the full-time workers and adults.

Even if you've got the cash for it, it's a lot of money to justify to yourself. I could easily afford it, I've just paid off my credit card and got my season ticket, and thanks to my performance bonus I'm still 5 grand in credit, with no car, no kids, cheapish rent and basically nothing which really drains my cash - lots of expendible income. But it just seems like a waste of money at the moment cos there's nothing on it which really interests me.

So is PS3 still aimed at £425?

Yes it is still going to be £425

I agree, I can't justify buying a console for that amount, when there are so many other, more valuable (in my eyes) products that I could buy for near enough the amount. I'd rather invest in a HD-TV than shell out that much on a games console. I'd probably be looking to get a ps3 around the time they bring out the ps4