NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Playstation Discussion Archive

I think it's too early to have portable consoles running with CDs, PSP is only good for sports games like racing and soccer and then some 2D and some fighters not read/load intensive games with big worlds and such, that is a huge limitation for me, as apart from the fighters and 2D games the other ones aren't really my cup of tea.

Surely its a bit early in the PSPs life to make claims like that? There are several RPGs in the works for the PSP, one of which is the lengthy Breath of Fire 3 - and, of course, GTA. I dont think that developers feel that the PSP is only for sports and racing sims.

I didn't chose platformers because pretty much every 3D game in the third person view since mario 64 plays in the same way

That was my point in its entirety actually; and did you still enjoy them in spite of a lack of originality?

sure "jet grind radio" was awesome, but after it came not much games followed, after wind waker

Ok, so because no-one, lets say, "copied" the style until Zelda, it remains original? :(

that's why PSP's graphics power is overkill for me.

But let me guess - by the time the next Gameboy is out, it will all magically be ok to have a powerful handheld. Hang on, wont that be copying the PSP?

Fuck fuck fuck. Six, count them, six stuck pixels! I'm playing a video that flashes red, green and blue on loop constantly. Apparently if you leave this for long enough, it can get rid of stuck, not dead pixels. Anyone know if there is any truth in this?

Out of interest does the euro psp value pack come with the cloth, i know you can buy the accessory pouch and cloth seperately, just wondering if it comes with a cloth.

Yeah it does.

Goonface, I have heard several peoples accounts of how this has worked for them, but I cant testify as I havent used one myself. I think you can identify a stick pixel from a dead one by the colour; isnt a stuck one a specific colour and a dead one black or something?

At any rate, I dont think I can actually be of any help, so I guess I will shut up. Sorry!

I got my Ceramic White PSP on Friday and I love it. No dead pixels. The screen is fantastic and I've been playing Everybodys Golf like crazy. I've just ordered Legend of Hero from the States. There are some very good looking RPGs being released for PSP over in the US.

Surely its a bit early in the PSPs life to make claims like that? There are several RPGs in the works for the PSP, one of which is the lengthy Breath of Fire 3 - and, of course, GTA. I dont think that developers feel that the PSP is only for sports and racing sims.
no it's not... PSP has it's battery limitations to the point that it's running at 222 MHz rather than 333 MHz just to save battery power, still the battery lasts so little, and it's a 1800mah battery, sure you have 3600mah already but still dont you think it's strange that a game like metal gear has to be turned into a card based game? and the real reason behind that is to avoid the loadings a full featured adventure would bring. GTA is a good exception as it doesn't seem like it's being cut at all, but that's not the limitation in the first place, they can push whatever they want out of PSP, they just have to choose most of the time: sacrifice the battery or the game experience, that or developing in 3D or porting PSone RPG's like tales of eternia and breath of fire 3.

Breath of Fire 3 came out in PSone... the console had 2 MB of RAM... I think some developers will master the battery and graphics/loadings but still there's a quite obvious limitation in there.

We've seen ridge racer with all settings in the maximum lasting for 1 hour and a half and it only loads stuff from the disc at the beggining and end of the tracks...

That was my point in its entirety actually; and did you still enjoy them in spite of a lack of originality?

Ok, so because no-one, lets say, "copied" the style until Zelda, it remains original? :(

surely, I enjoyed them. but that was not my point in the first place, my point was aproach and mario 64 has close to nothing to do with rayman in terms of style. I'm not against using a existing idea and build it around, but i'm against "going shoping" for things that were already done and "copy/pasting" them, that's the same case with music (again) you can do rock music genre without ripping of other musicians, but you can also do it and rip them off. That's an opinion you might not agree with it, and even think i'm narrow minded, but that won't make me change my mind.

but all in all the matter is not originallity, if it's all revolutionary and original there wouldn't really be a evolution, I like classic games aswell even if they always keep the mechanics from other games, but I wont run to the store to buy most of them, because I already played games like that, that said, I'm interested a lot in mercury and the new DK gba game, and I think roccolocco might be awesome to play, but still I think it borrows ideas and style from other games.

But let me guess - by the time the next Gameboy is out, it will all magically be ok to have a powerful handheld. Hang on, wont that be copying the PSP?
I've said it before... If PSP played PS2 games I would run over to the store to buy it, so i'm not really against power, if DS was that powerful I wouldn't complain, but if it had to sacrifice it's battery for it... I would.

If for some reason nintendo makes a "portable gamecube" I'll run to the store aswell, as long as the battery life is enough; but, if they release a cd-based console who can't read gamecube games, i'll be strongly against it.

I dont want nintendo to copy PSP because, for me, PSP has pretty big flaws in the first place, and it's not original to be more powerfull in 2001 everyone was surprised with GBA being a portable SNES and you also needed to buy your home console games again... I guess that's the main reason why I never bought a gameboy advance, mainly because i'm not rich and I have no money for that kind of investment.

:shock: i can't believe you actually care enough to write a post that long! would this be an appropriate time to call you l33t?

no it's not... PSP has it's battery limitations to the point that it's running at 222 MHz rather than 333 MHz just to save battery power, still the battery lasts so little, and it's a 1800mah battery, sure you have 3600mah already but still dont you think it's strange that a game like metal gear has to be turned into a card based game? and the real reason behind that is to avoid the loadings a full featured adventure would bring. GTA is a good exception as it doesn't seem like it's being cut at all, but that's not the limitation in the first place, they can push whatever they want out of PSP, they just have to choose most of the time: sacrifice the battery or the game experience, that or developing in 3D or porting PSone RPG's like tales of eternia and breath of fire 3.

But the whole point of including a 333MHz capability was to allow the machine to process at a faster speed when the current generation of batteries has been superceeded - so that people are buying a new battery, not a new console in X months time. How long do you think it will be until they release a fully interactive Metal Gear? The machine already has Tenchu out for it, another of these "full featured adventures". Just because it hasnt been done yet doesnt by any means mean it will never happen. Also, take a look at Rengoku or Dynasty Warriors - or how about Untold Legends, a huge 3D, action-orientated, "full featured adventure". I think youre looking at things with a bit of a blinkered view.

Breath of Fire 3 came out in PSone... the console had 2 MB of RAM... I think some developers will master the battery and graphics/loadings but still there's a quite obvious limitation in there.

Indeed, it was a PSone game - but it was you that said that the machine would be only suited for sports and racing sims, and I was showing you that this isnt the case at all.

We've seen ridge racer with all settings in the maximum lasting for 1 hour and a half and it only loads stuff from the disc at the beggining and end of the tracks...

Actually, it was also running on WIFI in this scenario. :no: If you plan on playing this way all the time I would understand your point, but I have never had battery issues with my PSP. Sure, I would love a battery that lasts 15 hours or whatever, but what are you going to do?

It seems that the people most keen to bemoan the battery life of the PSP are those that dont actually have them. Maybe Im wrong, but I havent seen many - actually, any - PSP owners here complaining about battery life.

*prepares for scores of complaints*

surely, I enjoyed them. but that was not my point in the first place, my point was aproach and mario 64 has close to nothing to do with rayman in terms of style. I'm not against using a existing idea and build it around, but i'm against "going shoping" for things that were already done and "copy/pasting" them, that's the same case with music (again) you can do rock music genre without ripping of other musicians, but you can also do it and rip them off. That's an opinion you might not agree with it, and even think i'm narrow minded, but that won't make me change my mind.

To go back to the original argument, dont you think that Loco Roco has worked around "existing" ideas? I certainly dont see it as a direct clone to Mercury or Kirby or DK: KoS. Definitely there are similarities between control system and mechanics - how can there not be? - but I wouldnt say its cut and pasted.

but all in all the matter is not originallity, if it's all revolutionary and original there wouldn't really be a evolution

It isnt? I thought that was your original point? :/ Perhaps I misunderstood, but I believe this particular quote is pretty much exactly what I said like 2 or so posts ago.

I guess to wrap up, I want to say that Sony certainly dont shy away from releasing or allowing the release of bizarre gaming concepts on their consoles regardless of what Nintendo are doing ("but i'm sure sony wouldn't do it if nintendo DS sales weren't so good, f*ck them"), and that a game doesnt need to be some unexplored new concept in order to be fun.

But the whole point of including a 333MHz capability was to allow the machine to process at a faster speed when the current generation of batteries has been superceeded - so that people are buying a new battery, not a new console in X months time. How long do you think it will be until they release a fully interactive Metal Gear? The machine already has Tenchu out for it, another of these "full featured adventures". Just because it hasnt been done yet doesnt by any means mean it will never happen. Also, take a look at Rengoku or Dynasty Warriors - or how about Untold Legends, a huge 3D, action-orientated, "full featured adventure". I think youre looking at things with a bit of a blinkered view.

Indeed, it was a PSone game - but it was you that said that the machine would be only suited for sports and racing sims, and I was showing you that this isnt the case at all.

Actually, it was also running on WIFI in this scenario. :no: If you plan on playing this way all the time I would understand your point, but I have never had battery issues with my PSP. Sure, I would love a battery that lasts 15 hours or whatever, but what are you going to do?

It seems that the people most keen to bemoan the battery life of the PSP are those that dont actually have them. Maybe Im wrong, but I havent seen many - actually, any - PSP owners here complaining about battery life.

*prepares for scores of complaints*

To go back to the original argument, dont you think that Loco Roco has worked around "existing" ideas? I certainly dont see it as a direct clone to Mercury or Kirby or DK: KoS. Definitely there are similarities between control system and mechanics - how can there not be? - but I wouldnt say its cut and pasted.

It isnt? I thought that was your original point? :/ Perhaps I misunderstood, but I believe this particular quote is pretty much exactly what I said like 2 or so posts ago.

I guess to wrap up, I want to say that Sony certainly dont shy away from releasing or allowing the release of bizarre gaming concepts on their consoles regardless of what Nintendo are doing ("but i'm sure sony wouldn't do it if nintendo DS sales weren't so good, f*ck them"), and that a game doesnt need to be some unexplored new concept in order to be fun.

My original point was the individuality of each game, while i said that it wasn't original, what I was thinking is that I could identify pretty clearly from were the gaming elements came in the first place, and the style it used

it's not the type of "OMG, it's in the same genre" or just "it's not original", because I play new versions of existing games all the time, i've played "zelda "clones" before like "beyond good and evil" and it didn't bother me a bit, but I found that beyond good and evil was artistically pretty diferent from nintendo's style in the first place... if it reminded me ocarina of time scenes like "deja vu" I wouldn't like it that much anymore...

about the "but i'm sure sony wouldn't do it if nintendo DS sales weren't so good" let's leave it to rest already, i can agree that it was a bad comment in the first place and if I had a PSP and was happy with it I wouldn't like to hear it either ;)

As for PSP limitations... it think they can be overcome most of them like I said above, but it doesn't mean it doesn't have them, for example PS2 has all the limitations it has and still they made ico, mgs3, GT4 and god of war, the limitations are still there, and I can see them, but I also can see the plataform being pushed, but I'd rather have a well-balanced console in the first place, same with PSP all was done to achieve power and graphics, of course on a portable computer we have to make a choice, there are Pentium 4 and AMD 64 portable aswell as powerfull graphics cards, but that sacrifices battery, if I really need portability i'd rather use a low voltage computer, same with PSP, I dont see myself using it away from home, it's big exposed screen, rounded edges, battery life, and even the portable experience, DS changed the way I play games, i'm not that interested in regular sequels anymore, I just want games to pick and play when away from home, playing it at home is unthinkable though, the same can't be said of PSP, mercury and lumines are currently the only PSP games i'd like to play in a portable console away from home, it's just a point of view, and clearly influenced because of the fact that I have a DS, i'll admit.

Like I said it's still too early for a cd based console, probably sony released it now so developers start working with it and filling the catalog and later release a better version, that needs less energy/voltage to operate. just my two cents...

Im seriously considering importing a white psp, as i the wait to get a euro one is killing me. afew questions though.

Being that it would be a jap one is the japanese firmware in english, can it defo play euro umd movies.

Have you ever ordered anything from yesasia, is it true they pay custom tax for uk orders.

off topic, JO, your posts are legendary.

Im seriously considering importing a whire ds, as i the wait to get a euro one is killing me. afew questions though.

I'm betting you'll struggle to get a DS to play UMD movies no matter what their region.

Umm no i dont think so, sony said it wasnt a fault with the console, just a defect on the screen... i think

My PSP has 5 or so dead pixels, I don't remember the exact number because they are so tiny they really don't matter.

People are making them out to be a huge deal, yet the only (and I mean only) time I see them are when I initially turn the console on, and during loading screens. And that's only when i'm deliberately looking for them.

Tales of Eternia has been confirmed for Europe I hear :shock:

That makes me want a PSP properly for the first time.

Thanks for the help Johelian.

My PSP has 5 or so dead pixels, I don't remember the exact number because they are so tiny they really don't matter.

People are making them out to be a huge deal, yet the only (and I mean only) time I see them are when I initially turn the console on, and during loading screens. And that's only when i'm deliberately looking for them.

The way I look at it, £180 is a lot of money to spend on one item. When I pay that much for an item, I expect it to be functioning 100% and if not for the company to replace it immediatley. A stuck or dead pixel may seem like little, but when you've payed £180, it's a big deal.

Tales of Eternia has been confirmed for Europe I hear :shock:

That makes me want a PSP properly for the first time.

ohhh fabulous!!!! :grin: not that i couldnt import but meh

do you have a source stocka?

I don't get how people are saying that Nintendo creating a powerful Gameboy or copying backwards compatability is copying Sony!!

That stuff is hardly the same as the Analogue stick and rumble.

And if they are copying Sony by doing these things?

Wouldn't Sony be copying the N64 by making a primarily 3D console?!

ohhh fabulous!!!! :grin: not that i couldnt import but meh

do you have a source stocka?

Well the source was in french and I lost it now, but the source is reliable trust me.

Thanks for the help Johelian.

The way I look at it, £180 is a lot of money to spend on one item. When I pay that much for an item, I expect it to be functioning 100% and if not for the company to replace it immediatley. A stuck or dead pixel may seem like little, but when you've payed £180, it's a big deal.

5 fucked pixelss, thats harsh mate. Yu might me able to take it back, i know there is a certain amount before it can be returned.

5 fucked pixelss, thats harsh mate. Yu might me able to take it back, i know there is a certain amount before it can be returned.

The wierd thing is though, they weren't there initially. WHen I got my PSP i searched like hell for them, but didn't find any. Then, I suddenly found one on Saturday night. Then on Sunday morning I found more, which really is a bitch, I mean there coming out of nowhere :mad:

Umm no i dont think so, sony said it wasnt a fault with the console, just a defect on the screen... i think

If you haven't noticed...THE SCREEN IS PART OF THE CONSOLE!!!

I don't get how people are saying that Nintendo creating a powerful Gameboy or copying backwards compatability is copying Sony!!

That stuff is hardly the same as the Analogue stick and rumble.

And if they are copying Sony by doing these things?

Wouldn't Sony be copying the N64 by making a primarily 3D console?!

Because fanboys are saying that the PSP isn't anything new, so they are saying well when the next GBA finally hits stores, that will just be the same as the PSP but more powerful. So are we going to bash it because it won't have a touch screen and so on? I bet those fanboys won't be bashing it....

Because fanboys are saying that the PSP isn't anything new, so they are saying well when the next GBA finally hits stores, that will just be the same as the PSP but more powerful. So are we going to bash it because it won't have a touch screen and so on? I bet those fanboys won't be bashing it....
I didn't say that.

that is... if you're directing that at me, of course

EDIT: about dead pixels theres a 15 day legal period (or is it 30 days now?)in European Union where you can take it back to the store and demand your money back if you're not satisfied, I recomend you guys do that, as I did it twice with my DS the first ones had dead pixels, I was so picky I couldn't even play it anymore... in europe there's a garanty for DS and dead pixels for a year I think, but... I doubt that applies to portugal (meh), anyway... whatever you pay for your console demand a perfect one, dont settle for a defective one just because sony says it's not in the manual ;)

Dead/stuck pixels really AREN'T a big deal. Seriously guys, just you wait and see. Would you dump your girlfriend because she had a couple of spots on her beautiful face? NO FUCKING WAY.