NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Playstation Discussion Archive

Gameplay just dispatched my PSP Value pack with free screen wipe and Lumines today! They are saying it will be delivered in one working day, although I hope they are mistaken and that it comes tomorrow instead, I don't think I could wait until Monday.

Congrats, you'll have a orgasmic time with Lumines, it's such a beautiful game.

Have you seen Loco Roco, that game looks extremely cool and crazy.

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/locoroco/index.html

shame the "original" control scheme mirrors the "original" control scheme of this game, that is out in europe and japan for a year now, and now, september 2005 came out in america.

kingofswing9mk.png

the other half of the game... is like mercury for PSP... so it's only original in the artwork, the rest is a rip off combination, still looks fun... but I dont like to see sony copying nintendo in style... I mean... are they going to put a revolution control in PS3 and put a touchscreen in PSP? arghhh

According to the presentation material demonstrated on the Annual Operation Strategy Meeting, Sony has sold 6 million PSPs all around the world. And the sales in Europe were the best ever in the history of the PSP sales.

Meh if it's a good game then I don't have a problem with it, some people are way too strick.

I guess we should shoot Nintendo for taking home console backward compatibility from Sony?

Meh if it's a good game then I don't have a problem with it, some people are way too strick.

I guess we should shoot Nintendo for taking home console backward compatibility from Sony?

that doesn't change the way we play games nor the fun we have, originality does, but sony isn't being original.

still looks fun, but i'm sure sony wouldn't do it if nintendo DS sales weren't so good, f*ck them :bah:

Yeah, tell mw why people would buy UMD's? I think they're destined to fail in style!

I'm fairly sure I remember reading somewhere last week or the week before that they're currently outselling PSP games by quite a margin.

For me it'd be that I could take some of my fave films and stuff with me on occasions when I might be sitting around for a couple of hours with nothing much to do. Also that if I get a US PSP I'll be able to import films and TV shows before they're shown/released here in the UK. (Though I do already do that with DVDs as well).

Loco-Roco looks like a mix of DK king of the swing and Kirby.

Didnt see that coming *rolls eyes*

There are NO games that interest me announced for the PSP other than Rockman: Rockman.

And I still don't get the point of UMDs!!

the rockman game for psp was awfull. i cant belive they making a new one.

that doesn't change the way we play games nor the fun we have, originality does, but sony isn't being original.

still looks fun, but i'm sure sony wouldn't do it if nintendo DS sales weren't so good, f*ck them :bah:

Let me ask this; have you ever bought a sequel that doesnt have a massive difference between itself and the last installment? If you havent then fair enough - if you have, dont you think youre being a little bit hypocritical?

If an idea works, it makes sense to use it. Hell, if no-one ever copied the platform game format, just how many games would we have lost out on? It seems ironic to me that the people who believe that they are most open to new experiences are the ones that want to limit an experience to one developer. Get over it. Originality is nice, no doubt about it; but if you arent happy to wait months or years for a new game to be made because no idea can be used twice then quit complaining already.

On a side note, Loco Roco looks incredibly cute. Damn you Dom! *shakes fist*

Let me ask this; have you ever bought a sequel that doesnt have a massive difference between itself and the last installment? If you havent then fair enough - if you have, dont you think youre being a little bit hypocritical?

If an idea works, it makes sense to use it. Hell, if no-one ever copied the platform game format, just how many games would we have lost out on? It seems ironic to me that the people who believe that they are most open to new experiences are the ones that want to limit an experience to one developer. Get over it. Originality is nice, no doubt about it; but if you arent happy to wait months or years for a new game to be made because no idea can be used twice then quit complaining already.

On a side note, Loco Roco looks incredibly cute. Damn you Dom! *shakes fist*

Well... how would you feel if a band gets a CD out that is a copy of the unique sound that other band has done?

if a band does it's own sound and uses it like 3 times, I might like it, but if they change from a prooved to sell sonority to a new one, I gain even more respect for them. If a band starts as a copy of "insert-name-here" they might loose my respect from the start, and concerning that, i've got no respect left for Sony in respect to how they make games.

making music equal to other bands isn't dificult, what is dificult is to make something new that feels like "your music" and not ripped off from others.

there's a standard for gaming, you can make a game of a "genre" like platform or RPG without copying it, because it's standard, inovation is not, and it's what turns games from a genre into a diferent experience, Zelda OoT and Majora Mask used the same engine and were diferent as hell, both were original, wind waker was also original for example, I've yet to buy a expansion pack of more levels for any game, and I dont plan to, all this maintaining the original control scheme, but it didn't borrow that control scheme from other game it was created from ground, it's not the case with rocco locco, i didn't say it didn't loook fun, I said it kinda anoys me, because in PSP forums everyone is saying "WOW how original, it's sony with nintendo style" and that pisses me off.

hypocrital... i wouldn't go that far, but i'm elitist no doubt about it.

I dont criticise sony for GT4 and such, but I would criticise nintendo if they atempted to do it... I hate rip offs, if sony wants to inovate they shouldn't rip off gba games and PSP existing games like mercury.

looks fun and I would like to play it, but I refuse to give money for it let alone buy a PSP for it, i wouldn't say the same thing of mercury for example.

When I wrote my original post, I guess I was fuelled by - "still looks fun, but i'm sure sony wouldn't do it if nintendo DS sales weren't so good, f*ck them". I guess I just found this ironic when considering that the PS2 has some of the most obscure concepts in games on it. But enough on that; I think that the problem here is, as you already mentioned, elitism. I guess it just bothers me that people are so willing to write off something that even looks appealing to them, as this does to you - because of some bias. This is a problem that a lot of people, definitely at CE, seemed to have, and it still troubles me. If something is enjoyable, why fight against enjoying it? (please dont now go and kill someone because you find it enjoyable). It seems that a lot of people are willing to struggle against - of all things - a game out of principle. Seriously, so long as youre having fun, whats the point? I have played many games that I would consider to be either "generic", or not much different from its predecessor - and enjoyed a lot of them. Of course, a spark of freshness is always appealing, theres no denying that; but I think a lot can be said for playing something you know you will enjoy, that doesnt necessarily push any boundaries.

I have incidentally bought CDs in the past that sound very similar to one another, and who have based their sound on other bands - because I like the style of music. I dont see the point in only every buying "original" products, because - lets face it - the creator is not always necessarily the most apt at using his creation. Take for example Marble Madness - a 20-year old concept that, with a coat of gloss, new play modes and several monkeys, can be reincarnated as a much-improved experience. Transform your marble into a ball of mercury and dot in a couple of new(ish) puzzle elements and it becomes another game. For this reason Im personally quite glad that people are constantly reworking existing ideas.

I like your examples of Zelda, although I personally would have looked at the Mario platformers - is there any particular reason why you didnt choose them? :) On an(other) side note, I'd like to know your reasons for thinking Wind Waker original - Im not necessarily denying the fact, but would just like your view.

To reiterate my original point, I would still say that these "rip-offs" are what makes the gaming tapestry so colourful. From one idea comes evolution; I think this is pretty important to remember.

I didn't chose platformers because pretty much every 3D game in the third person view since mario 64 plays in the same way, most of them are original in their settings and variations but the control scheme doesn't change, if the game is good, having played others you'll feel right at home, so for me platforms is all about level design and overall fun, not originality, of course if another company does a platformer looking like yoshi's island from SNES or N64 i'll call it a rip off, games must be unique not a better version of the other, sure we could grow on most ideas and make them better than the creator did, but still the game would not be mine, just a improved version from the other guys game, you have to improove on the idea till it's so diferent from the other that it can't be even compared, continuing with the comparation with music, of course every musician has influences, but I for instance when i'm playing something that reminds me of something else, I scrap it, instead of playing the same note combination as someone did before me, I wouldn't feel ok with it, of course most people wouldn't care about that.

About wind waker, I think it achieved cell shaded graphics like none before, sure "jet grind radio" was awesome, but after it came not much games followed, after wind waker... we've had dozens of games using cell shaded graphics and small amount of them getting even close (with the exception of killer 7) so I think it set a standard for future games and a good one at that.

Sure the game wasn't that great compared to the N64 games, but still, the easy way was going along with spaceworld 2000 demo, that would sell more and avoid critics from the mainstream public.

OoT used time traveling that was used in chrono trigger, tales of phantasia and star ocean in the previous generation, majora mask used masks and wind waker used wind, in that point I find the later two to be more original.

locorocoscansmaller_205.jpg

video:

-> http://momodomo.com/locoroco.wmv

Games don't have to be original to be fun. Is Metroid Prime 2 rubbish just because it's a sequel and doesn't improve on anything that was in the first game?

Zelda The Wind Waker is rubbish because it added water and cel shading, but still played the same? Ok if you say it is........

People need to open up their eyes and stop this all mighty anti Sony bollocks. I feel sorry for people who haven't played some of the great hits on the PS2.

"I know I'll hate Sony because they sell more consoles and brought in the casual gamer, Oh look what Nintendo are doing, they are aiming for the casual and new gamers!"

Hypocrite Fanboys! Ah feels nice now that is out of my system. Time for some Burnout Revenge on my Xbox.

loco roco looks awesome!

and to add my two cents to dom's rant, it's a good thing that sony brought more gamers to the market, because they brought their money too, and games will continued to get more and more sophisticated as more money gets pumped into the industry. and about originality, it's great that we have innovative games, but nintendo's been pumping out the mario and zelda franchises for decades now, but that doesn't make them worthless, does it?

Games don't have to be original to be fun. Is Metroid Prime 2 rubbish just because it's a sequel and doesn't improve on anything that was in the first game?

Zelda The Wind Waker is rubbish because it added water and cel shading, but still played the same? Ok if you say it is........

People need to open up their eyes and stop this all mighty anti Sony bollocks. I feel sorry for people who haven't played some of the great hits on the PS2.

"I know I'll hate Sony because they sell more consoles and brought in the casual gamer, Oh look what Nintendo are doing, they are aiming for the casual and new gamers!"

Hypocrite Fanboys! Ah feels nice now that is out of my system. Time for some Burnout Revenge on my Xbox.

i didn't say zelda WW was rubish because it played like the older games, not as good, and certainly not because of the control scheme, my favorite zelda game is majora mask, it's not even OoT. I dont even know how to explain what made it worse... was it the second half of the game after the tower of gods? and it's not in the same dramatic wave as OoT and Majora Mask were, forest temple, spirit temple, desert temple and most Majora Mask dungeons

I like the way nintendo aims for all consumers, that's not the problem here, sony aims to be the multimedia machine that happens to play games, dont get me wrong I loved some games on PS2 but their appeal to mainstream gamers is just better graphics and more games, all the achievements in originality in their consoles have been made by third party's.

I think that metroid prime 2 evolves a lot from the first one; diferent settings and the dificulty parts from the one in the end of metroid 1. that said no one called metroid prime revolutionary in the first place, not even a new aproach like pikmin, cubivore and doshin were

Evolution and originality is needed, but regular games like metroid and super mario are needed in the industry aswell, zelda and mario are arguably the "less original" games from nintendo and that way they have a chance to keep improving them.

that said, I maintain my point of view about roccolocco, I might change my mind... but for now I feel it is a game like i've said, if the big yellow thing didn't get separated in tons of little particles like mercury and it didn't control with R and L like DK king of swing... I wouldn't say anything; I couldn't. because in that case they were in fact original so I would have no point in stating what I did.

loco roco looks awesome!

and to add my two cents to dom's rant, it's a good thing that sony brought more gamers to the market, because they brought their money too, and games will continued to get more and more sophisticated as more money gets pumped into the industry. and about originality, it's great that we have innovative games, but nintendo's been pumping out the mario and zelda franchises for decades now, but that doesn't make them worthless, does it?

I think sony is leading the industry in a bad direction, when you talk about money... welll some of them didn't brought their money, some of them have a PS2 and PSP and never even bought a game, piracy my friend. nowadays consoles sell because of piracy and multimedia features, I find PSP a bad aproach to the industry, I hate the UMD idea, but I can say proudly that if it played PS2 games I would run to a store to get it, I just hate the idea of buying a portable console that allows me to play the games I have on my home consoles. I think it's too early to have portable consoles running with CDs, PSP is only good for sports games like racing and soccer and then some 2D and some fighters not read/load intensive games with big worlds and such, that is a huge limitation for me, as apart from the fighters and 2D games the other ones aren't really my cup of tea.

I loved mercury and lumines though, best games for PSP and they are games who dont really push it, that's why PSP's graphics power is overkill for me.

I'd have to say that Sony actually has made some great refreshing games for their system. Ico anyway? Oh and Shadow of the Colossus that is coming out. :)

God Of War also made a fantastic combat system, another Sony game there.

On Piracy it's not like Sony make people pirate games. Sony try everything to stop piracy, they even manage to get Modchip consoles banned in the UK. It's just because they sell so well that people buy the damn mods (although I have one for import reasons). Same with Xbox though, that gets pirated and modded to hell.

the rockman game for psp was awfull. i cant belive they making a new one.

Hahaha!! Okay, well i thought the style looked cool at least!!

I saw some Advance Wars rip-off that looked okay though

I'd have to say that Sony actually has made some great refreshing games for their system. Ico anyway? Oh and Shadow of the Colossus that is coming out. :)

God Of War also made a fantastic combat system, another Sony game there.

On Piracy it's not like Sony make people pirate games. Sony try everything to stop piracy, they even manage to get Modchip consoles banned in the UK. It's just because they sell so well that people buy the damn mods (although I have one for import reasons). Same with Xbox though, that gets pirated and modded to hell.

ico was awesome, god of war was too small, but yeah I agree on you on that.

about the mod chips I dont... it would be easy for sony and microsoft to end most of the piracy in their consoles, they make them from ground, they could make it so the software didn't run, yes they are making a effort with PSP, but it's only because it's not a proven market for them, and about PS2 they take measures but they never the PS3 will be the same as far as we know, they dont want to end piracy, because if ps3 doesn't have piracy and x360 has that might take users from sony to microsoft... that's just how it is.

I remember this quote from microsoft refering to windows: "if they're going to steal software from someone, steal ours" or something like that

I love my PSP, its so beautiful :grin: Also, Lumines is superb, the game simply grabs you and refuses to let you go. Also, it has one hell of a soundtrack, I love the track Shinin by Mondo Grosso, shame I can't find it anywhere :weep:

I got my PSP on Friday and what a nice bit of kit.

Got Burnout Legends with it and loving.

Big up the psp !!!!

i always though that sony, ms and ninty made most of their money from software sales, that's why ms were willing to make a huge loss on hardware this generation. none of these companies have ever wanted people to steal from them, and you're delusional if you think so.

Anyone know if there are any problems from importing a PSP from malaysia? Cos I'll be going there this christmas and decided that I'm gonna buy one from there. Hopefully it'll be much cheaper then it is over here.

And what's this about people wanting the firmware to be 1.50 or something? I think I know why.....something illegal?? :heh:

Out of interest does the euro psp value pack come with the cloth, i know you can buy the accessory pouch and cloth seperately, just wondering if it comes with a cloth.