NEurope
guarana

Red Steel -1ST Rev game screenshots in gameinformer

To those who say this is "another generic FPS" - how wrong can you be?!

It plays like no other console FPS, all the little things will make this much more immersive than any FPS before, the mannerisms when holding and twisting your gun position (gangsta style as someone said), the action of throwing grenades, letting you roll them too! This is anything but a "generic" FPS!

Anyone who read the info and what Goku21 typed would know this too!

To those who say this is "another generic FPS" - how wrong can you be?!

It plays like no other console FPS, all the little things will make this much more immersive than any FPS before, the mannerisms when holding and twisting your gun position (gangsta style as someone said), the action of throwing grenades, letting you roll them too! This is anything but a "generic" FPS!

Anyone who read the info and what Goku21 typed would know this too!

I agree completely. It's a different take on the FPS genre. Not just the new control over the characters, but the whole respect thing. The ability to just wound people because you might need them later sounds really awesome.

First let me say I will not reveal anything all-new and exclusive right now.

Read this and now remember how I talked about Ubisoft. I always said that out of all the developers, I'm most excited about them. Now first let me say that I have not played "Red Steel." I will however be playing exactly what GI people played soon.

The team at Ubisoft knew that they wanted to make games for the revolution after the DS released. Impressed with how Nintendo had created a handheld that offered new twists on familiar gameplay, as well as all-new game concpts that everyone can play, they knew that the publisher would pursue a similair goal with its next console. After learning that the revolution's remote style controller would be based on motion sensing technology that translates the players movements into the game, the team immediatly began conceptualizing by playing with the remotes laying around there offices, trying to pinpoint what movements were the most fun to do. The engineers on staff spent countless hours waving television remotes around, emulating the motions for digging, throwing, swinging and more. Once their antics began to coalesce into the actual game concepts, they brought their ideas to Nintnedo's President Satoru Iwata and the companys cheif creative officer, Shigeru Miyamoto. "We got tons of ideas of interactions, and these are what we brought to Japan when we went to see Mr. Iwata and Mr. Miyamoto" said Damien Moret, the teams marketing game manager.

This is what the Revolution is about. For those wondering this isn't the only game going to be revealed this month before E3. From my knowledge I don't think any games from Nintendo will be shown before E3.

About those 20 titles for launch. Sounds like a great number. Expected.

Important note for those who still doubt. "This is nothing", "You haven't seen anything yet" , Basicall the words from someone inside Nintendo was: "This is only the beginning"

Nintendo is coming out swinging. They know what they have to do and they are set out to do just that.

No name calling or anything but. Someone on here actually confirmed to me that they are real by confirming that they new about this exclusive title by sending me pm's. Basically as soon as they mentioned a code-name and/or reference to Red Steel I know that they were real. And this was before AMN Revolution posted they're story on "Katana".

should be a good lead up to the nintendo e3 confrence then, i wonder if we will see other titles other then red steel at e3 and personaly i hope activision has something other then anounter tony hawk argh.

Even More info from IGN forums:

This was posted by Cruddy00 in the general board and is for all of you who don't have Insider. This game sounds unbelievable!

DEVELOPMENT INFO

- Game development started shortly after E3 2005. Ubisoft saw and demoed the controller before E3 2005.

- Ubisoft Paris took their idea directly to Iwata and Miyamoto, and were given the go ahead. After that meeting they were given prototype controllers. The article states that Ubisoft worked "closely" with Nintendo's engineers in Japan on the title.

- Game Informer mentions that while conducting the interviews with Ubisoft, they were handed the "latest version" of the controller.

GAME INFO

- During the beginning of the game, you are encouraged to use your weapons ruthlessly, but as the game progresses you become more proficient and strategic. This gameplay idea led Ubisoft to decide to give the game a martial arts setting. "Enter the Yakuza".

- The first third of the game will be all about being "brutal by necessity".

- As you start out you will be less precise and probably favor more devastating weapons (machine guns). As you progress and become more precise, smaller guns will be more preferred. "The overall goal...is to use five bullets to kill five enemies".

- "When fighting with this level of skill, the music and sound effects will reflect it, remaining calm and peaceful".

- "When you fight brutally, the sounds around you grow increasingly more intense".

- Freeze shot: by fighting efficiently you fill the Freeze Shot gauge...fighting chaotically causes to decreases. When the gauge is filled you can hit a button to momentarily stop time, and then target specific locations on enemy bodies.

- Headshots thus are tempting, but non lethal shots, such as shooting guns out of enemy hand, can be more beneficial.

- By defeating high ranking leaders who command others and sparing their lives, you will be rewarded. He will offer you respect and help (guns, help, new weapons, alternate paths, etc).

- Respect plays a MAJOR part in the game.

- Flailing your sword isn't a smart idea.

- Specific motions with the controller will trigger combos (in the final game). Tracing an X in the air, for instance, will unleash a devastating attack.

- You can stop these combos at any time by simply pausing your own movement. So if you do something that leaves you open to attack, you won't be screwed.

- New moves will be taught to you by two mentors in the game. One will teach you gun tactics, and another will teach sword tactics. If you don't show the proper respect to them, they won't help you.

- Training sessions are offered by the two masters so you can hone your skills.

- Friendly/respectful interaction is tied to the controller. You signal "yes/no" answers by nodding the controller up or down or shaking it from side to side. You show extra respect by bowing to the masters.

- Ubisoft is still coming up with other interactions.

- "You can act disrespectively as well: there are no cut scenes in the game - all conversations take place in game, as in Half Life 2. However unlike that game, characters wont keep prattling on if you walk away from them. They will react angrily to your imputent behavior".

- Staying in the master's good graces is key: they give you missions that can be tackled in any order.

- You track down the gang leaders and try to turn them to your side. If you don't, they will join Tokai's (the main villian) gang.

- You have to prove you are worthy to them by battling them and sparing their lives. You will need as many of them with you as possible to face Tokai. Without their help, you'll have a rough time when you finally face him.

- You turn gang leaders to your side by besting them in battle and stopping a deadly blow miliseconds before it strikes.

GI IMPRESSIONS

- The two triggers on the front of the analog unit activate ducking and jumping. The analog stick controls movement, and the revmote controls aiming. No rails.

- Level consisted of shooting ranges that popped out from behind cover.

- "Aiming with the controller is as simple as using a laser pointer. You point your hand at a target and hit the trigger on the underside of the controller to fire.

- "Unlike other FPS games, which tie the camera and aiming together, Red Steel's camera follows your aim with a slight delay. If, for example, you point to the edge of the screen, the camera will turn to re-center on your view after a second. With the sensitivity of the controller, a standard FPS control would move too much, potentially making the player feel ill.

- "Thanks to the improved reaction that the controller offers, the team can create gunfight scenerios that would be extraordinarily diffilcult with a standard controller".

- Most console FPS games limit their enemies to horizontal planes to prevent player frustration, but targets on a verticle plane are just as easy to hit with the Revolution controller.

- You can aim at a target as quickly as you can move your hand.

- In the demo targets popped up on rooftops and in second story windows, as well as behind cover points on the ground, and all were equally easy to hit.

- While you can quickly shoot enemies anywhere on screen, Red Steel never feels in a light-gun game - this is a true FPS, one that feels like it has drawn from the best of both the PC and console shooter worlds.

- According to lead game designer Oriola, it takes roughly three seconds to turn completely around around in most console shooters, while it takes about one-quarter second in a PC game. In Red Stel, it takes one second.

- AI characters will care for themselves. They will go for cover, attack you while you're reloading. They focus on risk management.

- "They won't walk around a table to get to you. They will simply jump over the table".

- "The benchmark for their intelligence and aggressiveness, says Oriola, is the PC title F.E.A.R., which has widely been praised for it's AI".

MULTIPLAYER:

- Split screen multiplayer with traditional deathmatches.

- Totally original multiplayer modes Ubisoft is not revealing yet. Wait until E3.

- They didn't talk about Nintendo Wi Fi (NDAs). Full details haven't been revealed yet.

- Revolution works by placing a small sensor bar either above or below any TV.

- You can stand at any angle and not lose any accuracy. You can even take your controller to a friend's house and instantly start playing without syncing up the controller.

- "Perhaps most impressive is the fact that although splitscreen reduces the amount of onscreen space you are playing in, you don't have to make smaller movements - you can gesture as wildly as you want, and it won't interfere with the other player's onscreen quadrants

thanks to META-RIDLEYMCAIR

Great new info, even though some of it is pilfered from the IGN cocknoses.

Goku, I can dig that it's a long ol' post and towards the end it was probably a bit boring but I wasn't comparing the graphics in Red Steel to the PSP.. but I was comparing genres.

The bane of some systems is either having too few games, or too many crap ones.. the PSP suffers from the latter- it's been saturated with developpers kean to shift as many sports and racing ports and it has had a detremental effect on the console's image and lineup.

I was simply saying if the Revolution gets saturated with several FPS games on launch and it's hard to differentiate between which is good and which sucks then it will fall a similar fate to the PSP- "great hardware, but not enough solid games"

My biggest worry about the game was the AI, right from the get go seeing the screens I bought it up.. and knowing they are concerned about AI and set a benchmark (F.E.A.R) I am extremely happy.

I'm glad they haven't rushed a WiFi experience, I'd be happy if they used it.. but only if they have the time and money to do it properly.

'Insider' how mature of you?

BigTac now do you believe me? Send me a pm

Wow when did this happen just checked today and saw a massive (currently) 34 paged thread, thanks so much to everyone whos contributed!

Personally Im really intrested in this game and I really like the whole respect thing, and your movements and interactions that you do using the rev remote with your mentors just adds a whole new depth to the game.

Can't wait to see how Ubisoft have handled the multiplayer part of the game.

you must have it on a different setting, my pc only shows 21 pages. however thats a hell of a lot in 2/3 days is it?

this game is sounding awesome! my bro doesnt think it sounds good but wait till he tries muliplayer, haha always doubting.i cant wait to chop peoples heads off.

Now we know it's possible I suggest we start hassling Lucas Arts for that Star Wars fighter.

Does anyone know if Free Radical are making a splitters for the Rev?

Would buy it over Red Steel...

Does anyone know if Free Radical are making a splitters for the Rev?

Would buy it over Red Steel...

Off topic really, sorry but the thread has gone way downhill lately.

There is a general thread for launch titles/titles in development just over here where we are discussing the Free Radical title as well as the other Ubisoft FPS title Killing Day.

Off topic really, sorry but the thread has gone way downhill lately.

There is a general thread for launch titles/titles in development just over here where we are discussing the Free Radical title as well as the other Ubisoft FPS title Killing Day.

Okey dokey

No name calling or anything but. Someone on here actually confirmed to me that they are real by confirming that they new about this exclusive title by sending me pm's. Basically as soon as they mentioned a code-name and/or reference to Red Steel I know that they were real. And this was before AMN Revolution posted they're story on "Katana".

Nintendork first of all you don't know who I am and what I know, so please don't make such useless questions and marks. I knew about the ubi title Red Steel long before BigTac reveal anything. Although I'm not the type of man, going public and saying anything I know and what the one or another company is going to reveal, I have trusted BigTac and told him what I knew about that game (it was the game katana that some sites only few days ago revealed).

This game looks awesome, can't wait for better scans. Well E3 is right on the door and hope we will learn much more about this game then.

Great new info, even though some of it is pilfered from the IGN cocknoses.

Goku, I can dig that it's a long ol' post and towards the end it was probably a bit boring but I wasn't comparing the graphics in Red Steel to the PSP.. but I was comparing genres.

The bane of some systems is either having too few games, or too many crap ones.. the PSP suffers from the latter- it's been saturated with developpers kean to shift as many sports and racing ports and it has had a detremental effect on the console's image and lineup.

I was simply saying if the Revolution gets saturated with several FPS games on launch and it's hard to differentiate between which is good and which sucks then it will fall a similar fate to the PSP- "great hardware, but not enough solid games"

My biggest worry about the game was the AI, right from the get go seeing the screens I bought it up.. and knowing they are concerned about AI and set a benchmark (F.E.A.R) I am extremely happy.

I'm glad they haven't rushed a WiFi experience, I'd be happy if they used it.. but only if they have the time and money to do it properly.

It´s just a quote...I copied the hole post, I didn´t even know you were comparing to the PSP or do you think I´ve read this whole thread?

Judging the length of the post and the variety of topics discussed in it I thought you had read the whole thing.

Well I can't wait till E3 and we have 2 Insiders on our forums :)

Oh yes :D who are they? Are they prepared to give the links for the streaming video feed?