NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CompSci

Windows on a Mac, totally legal now!

I have often considered buying a mac as a second PC, but have always been put off for various reasons. If I can get a 2 button scroll mouse and Windows on it, then I will definately have to reconsider!

Umm.. Is it just me, but isn't buying a mac and using windows on it pointless? It's like you're getting a hugely overpriced windows pc. I mean what's the point in a mac if it hasn't got os x? I know that the build quality is better, but it also has almost no way of upgrading it. Other than buying the next version.

Note: this is not a post that says macs suck or something like that, I'm still considering to get a mac laptop.

I think this is top stuff by Apple, giving more choice to the consumer is a good thing in this case.

I hope, and I think that it's very probably, that soon there will be something similiar to mac-on-mac/mac-on-linux/vmware for Mac OS X where you can boot Windows in a seperate window.

And booting Windows on a Mac has always been legal. It's the other way around, booting Mac OS X on a non Mac is against the Mac EULA (though EULAs hasn't been proved in any european court as far as I know)

Umm.. Is it just me, but isn't buying a mac and using windows on it pointless? It's like you're getting a hugely overpriced windows pc. I mean what's the point in a mac if it hasn't got os x? I know that the build quality is better, but it also has almost no way of upgrading it. Other than buying the next version.

Note: this is not a post that says macs suck or something like that, I'm still considering to get a mac laptop.

Also, because of the way mac's are built, if you ran windows on a top end mac and a top end pc and compared them, the mac would out perform. This is because all the hardware inside is designed to work with each other, where as pc hardware is bottle necked with driver in-compatibilites etc. I can't remember the fine details, but Schpicks will, I remember a massive post he wrote ages ago going into the fine details of it.

Also, because of the way mac's are built, if you ran windows on a top end mac and a top end pc and compared them, the mac would out perform. This is because all the hardware inside is designed to work with each other, where as pc hardware is bottle necked with driver in-compatibilites etc. I can't remember the fine details, but Schpicks will, I remember a massive post he wrote ages ago going into the fine details of it.

This is super ill-informed.

Thats not exactly accurate anymore since Mac's no run on x86 hardware there are obviously some differences but its a lot closer to windows hardware than it used to be.

I hope, and I think that it's very probably, that soon there will be something similiar to mac-on-mac/mac-on-linux/vmware for Mac OS X where you can boot Windows in a seperate window.

And booting Windows on a Mac has always been legal. It's the other way around, booting Mac OS X on a non Mac is against the Mac EULA (though EULAs hasn't been proved in any european court as far as I know)

QEMU runs on Mac OSX I believe. (It's ace BTW.)

I doubt I'd make much use of it at all.. Not that I can afford a MacBook pro.

Seriously once you've tried OS X you wont want to go back, of course there are certain creature comforts like Office, Photoshop and the Mighty Mouse to make you feel at home.. but really it's a better platform.

I don't use AIM so iChat is no good for me, I might use Windows XP to boot up for video conferencing over MSN- and games of course but that's about it.

PS. Bogbas, how can you say a Mac is hugely overpriced despite having better build quality.. and in the same post a better OS.

designtop20060228.jpg

£449 BYODKM (bring your own display, keyboard and mouse)

Mac's used to be exclusive, overpriced.. but the iMac, Mac Mini and the soon to be announced MacBook (replacing the iBook) are really quite competitive on the price, especially considering you get Tiger, iLife '06 and Front Row.

I'm still running an iBook G4 with Tiger.. it's okay, I was thinking of waiting to upgrade my Mac when Leopard comes out late this year and just upping the ram and wireless in my current iBook.

If I can get a 2 button scroll mouse

You've always been able to use 2-buttoned mice on them, since about 1995 anyway. Even the MS Intellipoint mice work on them.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad thing? There's a danger that developers will stop releasing Mac OS versions of their software now that Mac users can boot Windows. At least the smaller ones, anyway.

No risk, they're confident Mac OS pwnz enough that people will just use it 99% of the time.

It's just to make the switch as easy as possible for the whole family I think.

Of course there are implications for the gaming market, serious ones.. but not for the minor software industry.

Mac dev community is super strong me thinks.

Philosophically I think it's stupid, because Macs are renowned for reliability.. this comes from Apple designing all hardware and software.. having control of all aspects of the hardware from the centre of the OS.

It's a shame if this tarnishes the reliability image of Apple instead of having the intended detremental effect on Windows XP.

Totally legal now? Was it illegal before?

As I said in my first post in this thread: And booting Windows on a Mac has always been legal. It's the other way around, booting Mac OS X on a non Mac is against the Mac EULA (though EULAs hasn't been proved in any european court as far as I know)

Sign in to follow this