NEurope
mike-zim

Things you have always wondered

Yeah, and why do crinkled crisps/ mini cheddars taste better than no-crinked ones.

I think i know this one, basically during the 'making process' the flavouring doesn't get into the crinkles thus giving a mixture of none flavoured/flavoured areas.

Also, it has a larger surface area and a different over all texture, leaving a very nice taste ;)

ive wondered how can men actually become homosexual?

what is it inside them that says i want to give it him/take it from him/hump his ass, etc?

ive wondered how can men actually become homosexual?

what is it inside them that says i want to give it him/take it from him/hump his ass, etc?

curiousity

but more to the point,

when i look at some people, or talk to them, at some point, i just have the urge to kill them for no reason, and i replay that in my mind and see what happens, and then the consequence of what happens makes me stop myself from killing them,

it worries me, am i a psychopath?

I have a similar thing, sometimes i am just.. being casual and i get the urge to punch absolutely everyone. Why is this?

curiousity

but more to the point,

when i look at some people, or talk to them, at some point, i just have the urge to kill them for no reason, and i replay that in my mind and see what happens, and then the consequence of what happens makes me stop myself from killing them,

Nope..just different. I have the urge to kill certain people i know, but not as bad as your case.

But what i wonder is: If you were able to dig to the center of the earth, would you get crushed by gravity? Because gravity comes from the earths core, pulling every thing down from every direction, so would you be squashed?

This thread reminds me of "The Last Word" Column from New Scientist.

If all the known plants (up to pluto) were to stay the same distance from the sun's surface as they are now, how big would the sun have to be so that all the planets would be sucked in by it's gravitational pull? (Not so that it engulfs them all with it's size, so they are pulled towards it's center)

Yeah, and why do crinkled crisps/ mini cheddars taste better than no-crinked ones.

If we're to believe the crisp makers, it's because the grooves hold the flavour more...

But it's lies- all lies!

But what i wonder is: If you were able to dig to the center of the earth, would you get crushed by gravity? Because gravity comes from the earths core, pulling every thing down from every direction, so would you be squashed?

Yes.

I actually read that if you get to the centre of a planet, which is impossible on one such as ours (but would be possible if the planet were made entirely of liquid, and if you could stand that sort of pressure) you are pulled by gravity in every direction at once, resulting in weightlessnes...

Very poetic.

I wonder why the hell is "space" black. I mean black things absorb all colors (radiations wtvr), but space is just... well... nothing. WTF.

Sometimes I also get the urge to beat some people but only if they gimme a reason. I'd say you're a psycho :P

If the big bang happened, what caused it? And where did the thing that caused it come from?

How did everything esle come from that?

How do computers work? How can all of this appear on a screen just from bits of metal and electricity? How did someone invent this? How did they even begin to imagine the idea of it?

ooh i can answer a few of these;

time travel is impossible, traveling backwards in time is not possible, so don't worry about any problems there. if you still messed up about time and such read a really basic book about special relativity, one with little maths, it'll help you understand alot of random time based concepts (as well as totally mess your head up)

black things are things that dont emit visible light, or very very low amplitude light. There are 2 causes, 1: the object absorbs all the light. 2: there is no light being emitted of the object. space is the latter, there is no visible light (or very very very low amplitude that we cannot detect), and there is nothing for the lgiht to reflect off, so no visible light can come from areas of empty space.

the big bang, more than likely happened, we know what was going on in alot of detail about a nanoseconds before (around that time, someone correct me if thats the wrong value) but we have very little clue the point of the big back. I'm pretty sure at this time its impossible for us to know what happened before the big bang and what caused it. Theres no way for us to get any information from before it happened. so for the time being "god" is just as good an answer as anything.

Computers are very complex and made from alot of different technologies. it was invented by lots of different people over long periods of time, and put together and refined. I do physics at uni, and we did a practical a few weeks back about hardwireing a computer, the logic is realy hard to get your head round, using different circuits in such a way to get different operators, like addition etc. The logic processes behind it were really hard.

I really like how alot of these questions are physics based, and glad i chose the subject to study at uni, gcse and a-level physics are basically a joke, but you get to learn alot more about the world and random questions like these (the reson why i carried on doing physics was to learn random crap like this). However you also figure out that we actually know nothing, and everything we do and know is just a simplified version of whats going on

Ginger Chris, you raised a point. However you're slightly wrong about time travel.

Although you can technically look back on time and look into the future. You'de need a laser or some kind of light emmiting device that travelled faster than the Earth and back to you, thus you could look back to the past or look to the future.

I wonder why the hell is "space" black. I mean black things absorb all colors (radiations wtvr), but space is just... well... nothing. WTF.

Maybe space has a colour but we just can't see it so we see it as black :P

Some scientists said that space is actually beige (sp?) anyway, cos of all the dust and everything floating about, it appears beige.

curiousity

Is that a serious answer? I hope not...

Edit: Sorry, that was trollish of me. But I just don't like homophiles (not accusing anyone, just saying that saying that everyone that is a homo/bi-sexual is just "curious" doesn't seem very nice to me)

looking "back in time" is kind of easy, information only travels at the speed of light (although i once read about the "spooky effect" where gravitational fields travel faster than light, but im not sure if thats still around, anyoone know?). When you look at distant stars you technically looking "back in time" as the the light the gave off was several light years ago. ie we observe a supernova in the sky 200 thousand light years away, that actually happened 200 thousand years ago, its just we're only getting the information now.

Technically, if we discovered a giant mirror in space 100 light years away, and we looked at it from eath directly, (completely ignoring light bending, the earths movement in the solar system etc, its a thought experiment) we would see the earth 200 years ago. so yea its theorectically possible to look back in time, just not interect in it or actualy travel back in time.if we launched our own mirror to do this it would take to long to get far enoguht away, and if it was launched at the speed of light (which would require infinite energy, but still) we couldn't see before the time the mirror was launched.

seeing the future is impossible, the best we can get is a probablitly of whats going to happen. if we knew the position momentum, spin, etc of every partical in the galaxy, (which is not possible due to hisenberg, the operators for these don't commute), then we could still only get a probablity of what going to happen in the future. For large scale systems (people) the probabilities are quite high for a while, but still we cannot get information from the future, we can only predict it with a probablity.

At the present there are too many factors present in even the simplest system. We cannot even perfectly model a real world ball bouncing on the ground perfectly. And everyone knows how badly the weather is predicted, even though hugeamounts of computing time is used to do it.

curiousity

but more to the point,

I get this thing where my arm feels weird and trys to punch the nearest person/object. Its really hard to stop it from actually doing it but I can control it. Also, when talking to someone you hate, is it wrong to imagine yourself grabbing them by the shirt and biting out their throat?

EDIT: Isnt homosexuality caused by something going wrong when the brains being wired up? Its a genetic defect, like needing to wear glasses. Thats what I was told anyway. Oh and 90% of left handed people are gay.

time travel is impossible, traveling backwards in time is not possible, so don't worry about any problems there. if you still messed up about time and such read a really basic book about special relativity, one with little maths, it'll help you understand alot of random time based concepts (as well as totally mess your head up)

I disagree with you there, forwards time travel is very possible indeed and has been both mathematically proved and tested. (knowing special relativity you must know the twins paradox?)

Backwards time travel, however, is much more theoretical, and it seems that it is impossible to travel further back in time than the exact time that the time machine was invented. The basic theory is to use a wormhole (black hole joined to white hole, joins to unconnected parts of the universe through the forth dimension) and twins paradox one end of it so that end is in the future. Go back through the wormhole and you are going back in time.

Another proposed method, and a much more recent one, is to create a circle of light. As light is the same as time on a quantum level (I think) the loop is also a loop in time, which you can move around and thus move in time. This still has the same limitation as the other method, and you have to slow down the light (which can be done, with Einstein-Bose condensate). The advantage of this method is that there's no problem with negative energy.

Also, when talking to someone you hate, is it wrong to imagine yourself grabbing them by the shirt and biting out their throat?

Yes.

And...

Oh and 90% of left handed people are gay.

No shit? I find that really hard to believe. I've known about eight lefties and none of them were prone to budging the fudge.

Hmmm, why are big dicks so important to women?

I say this as, (I using what I know here, excuse me if I am ignorant/wrong) their pleasure is derived from stimulation of the clitoris. So why does length matter?

Also, why do some men have hairy chests and others don't? Surely everyone should have them as it is the body's natural way of keeping warm... I get that people fomr hot climates wouldnt have them as they don't need them etc but fellows in Britain live under the same climate yet some have them and others don't...

And on that subject... what is the point of pubic hair? Im sure it's not there for warmth purposes is it? SO why is it there, along with like bum fluff stuff, i mean what is the biological purpose of it?!

+

Would a Japanese WaveBird work on a PAL system?

Right. I mean, the past has gone, right, zooomsh? The future isn't knocking on our doors yet. And we're too slow mechanically to analyse the present. It's gone before we can conciously realise it. So we're fucked right?

I am swearing. And making spelling mistakes.

Also, why do some men have hairy chests and others don't? Surely everyone should have them as it is the body's natural way of keeping warm... I get that people fomr hot climates wouldnt have them as they don't need them etc but fellows in Britain live under the same climate yet some have them and others don't...

This island has been invaded by everyone from the far North to the Mediterranean. We got pretty mixed up blood.

Hmm (I presume) we're all late teens at the youngest and yet people can't come up with more tactful ways of describing anal sex?

And the concept of what "makes" someone gay, I dunno. I'd say its down to the individual, you will never be able to get a 100% answer for everyone. Some men may just fall in love with men, and they don't see the gender as a factor, but rather they fancy them in the way a heterosexual would a woman. Others say that are born that way, and they couldn't imagine loving a woman.

And chest hair, suppose its evolution. Perhaps it comes from your origins and "developed" countries were more likely to find heating through other methods (eg animal carcasses) and thus slowly chest hair became less common but in other places it was still necessary. But can you honestly say in this day and age you need chest hair?

EDIT: Isnt homosexuality caused by something going wrong when the brains being wired up? Its a genetic defect, like needing to wear glasses. Thats what I was told anyway. Oh and 90% of left handed people are gay.

I believe they call that the narrowminded approach. Its basically saying gay people are broken. And what the frick would what handed you are affect your sexuality. Its like saying people with 70% of people with webbed feet are likely to grow up and teach primary school.

big dicks arent important to women, well normal women that is, mostly its a fetish by the common sex crazed woman.

big dicks arent important to women, well normal women that is, mostly its a fetish by the common sex crazed woman.

However, they do not care about a "a big full scrotum", well at least if TV taught me anything. (Sex and the City before people's minds get dirty).

Same reason guys (en masse) care for the big breasted slutty blondes.