NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
The Lillster

nintendo revolution online!

Hello,

I've been working on designing a nintendo revolution website now, for awhile. And i'm just wandering what you think of it.

At the moment I only have the layout/design sorted out, so there is content yet.

Please tell me what you think, and if your intrested in helping out, like reporting news, doing reviews, etc...

Send me a Private Message and let me know!

Here is the link (.PNG) - http://psxsbp.shanaproject.com/nintendo/nro.png

At the moment, I have no name for the website, so i'm just going to call it "Nintendo Revolution Online" for now.

Thanks.

EDIT: Well it looks like my website is perfect! I mean i havn't had any complaints / opinions posted, so it must be good! :D

UPDATE: HTML Version: http://psxsbp.shanaproject.com/nintendo/site/revo_hq_example_only.html

Please let me know what you think.

In my opinion, i think without the mario logo and the revolution on the right top corner will give it a cleaner look. Personal Preference !

I think it looks awesome! What have you made it with? the 'e' in the main 'Nintendo' title looks a bit deformed, and the font for 'Online' top right should be the same as the 'Home' font, but otherwise, I love the style and colour I think it's great! Good work.

Thanks, I made it with Photoshop, but some things were done by someone I know off MSN, so I don't deserve all the credit.

I'll try and make it look better, maybe I should add a few images?

Anyway, it would be nice if someone wanted to work for my website 'hint' 'hint'.

Btw, because I made it in photoshop I still need to cut it, aka trasnform it into sliced images and html code. I'm not very good at those type of things, are there any good tutorials on slicing layouts? or if some one is willing to cut it for me I will be very grateful.

Sorry, I hate to go on about this, but I really really do love this design, where did you learn all of that stuff? I have been looking through the tutorials thread, but I can't find even basic stuff (I'm a total n00b). I have PhotoShop but haven't ever used it, just small things like making a rectangle with rounded corners and that cool 3D effect!

Very nicely done, hope it slices ok.

My only reccomendation is to loose the pixellated mario in the top right, and the horizontal revolution system on the news bar, apart from that its a nice template.

Can I suggest something? Wait until the E3 Nintendo conference, and launch your website after the final name of the Revolution is revealed, with the name of your website including the system's name (and obviously you'll have to do a new header quickly too). That way you'll be the first website with the new name in its address, and you'll be able to start your website with the E3 information flood.

I'd offer to help but i'm a lazy ba***rd. If you're really struggling with help then i'll be glad to chip in, but you'll have to show me how to do stuff.

i made a website on photshop, like you. i used the smooth option everwhere to make the edges rounder :D

im liking that site. especially the wave bit behind the title

Sorry, I hate to go on about this, but I really really do love this design, where did you learn all of that stuff? I have been looking through the tutorials thread, but I can't find even basic stuff (I'm a total n00b). I have PhotoShop but haven't ever used it, just small things like making a rectangle with rounded corners and that cool 3D effect!

Well, i'm sorry I can't really help you with the photoshop part, the reason why my website looks so good is because I had lots and lots and lots of constructive critisism. It also helped that I knew a few guru's in webdesign and photoshop.

To everyone else, I will see what I can do about the changes requested.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

I've made the changes as requested, please take a look and tell me what you think;

http://psxsbp.shanaproject.com/nintendo/nro.png

Changes made;

1. Changed the Online text to Headquarters

2. Removed the mario and Revo images.

Photoshop can be pretty overwhelming at first but you just have to fool around with it, thats how i got decient with it. Just try different things and play around with it.

Looks very good, apart from the gigantic "home" button. Just keep that the same font as everything else in the menu and it will be much better.

Looks very good, apart from the gigantic "home" button. Just keep that the same font as everything else in the menu and it will be much better.

Yeh it's ment to be like that. But if it's that bad, i'll change it.

Btw, do you think the download time was reasonable? or too slow?

I'm looking for staff now, especially news posters. So if your intrested send me an email to [email protected].

Some php coders would be nice too :).

Or Private Message me.

I'm looking for staff now, especially news posters. So if your intrested send me an email to [email protected].

Some php coders would be nice too :).

Or Private Message me.

Hey thats bordering on advertising.

Anyway personally I feel its too generic. Theres a lot of sites like that, you need to be unique and really throw the viewers a bone (as so to speak). Not sure what exactly, but just my idea.

Theres a lot of sites like that, you need to be unique and really throw the viewers a bone (as so to speak). Not sure what exactly, but just my idea.

Maybe you could give him some pointers, as to what you feel makes Revo-Europe unique

I'd like to help with news. Heres some constructive criticism:

1. Centre the logo a bit on the still in development page. It looks slightly out of place.

2. You need some forum skins, then design, no offense, is horrible.

3. If it's a Wii site, not a good step being hosted by PSX (PlayStation).

4. The name needs to change to Wii.

Maybe you could give him some pointers, as to what you feel makes Revo-Europe unique

I don't think that really applies.

Revo-Europe is a large website. It's not being started by one person, it's not being introduced at a stage where dozens of similar sites already exist. It's a well established Nintendo site that has been around since the n64, it has a competent and willing staff and will always be updated. Revo-Europe doesn't strive to be unique (IMO), it just does what it does best.

However, if you want to make a brand new gaming website, you're really going to need some kind of new 'catch' to get people's attention. The number of new websites that pop up, try and post news, write 5 reviews a month and struggle to update and find a community before ultimately collapsing in on themselves and giving up, is ridiculous. These days you need a hook ;)

Sure, Ashley might prompt you with some ideas (if he can be bothered), but they don't have to reflect Revo, because Revo doesn't need to take that approach. I could also come up with some ideas, but really the creator is left with a choice: either code hard, work dilligently, pull together a skilled staff and work from the ground up to create another established game site - or search for that single unique idea, something you're interested in that makes the site as enjoyable to run as it is to visit.

Revo-Europe was started by one person (or two, correct me if I'm wrong).

Revo-Europe was started by one person (or two, correct me if I'm wrong).

You're quite right, two people. My point wasn't that Revo-Europe was not started by one or two people, my point was that it isn't being created now - eight years ago it was a lot easier to get a gaming website off the ground, as the high quality ones were few and far between.

But I refer you to my final point in my previous post, all I'm trying to say is that you either need, as Ash suggested, a hook -- or you need to be prepared to put in some hard work and eventually build up a skilled team of motivated people you trust to work with.

Back on the original topic, you have a nice design, some tight coding and plenty of good ideas, my only criticisms are that the expansive background (there's a lot of it on my 1280x1024 resolution) makes it feel a little plain (perhaps a light gradient would work?) and that you seem to have 2 menus with the same function.

I love it :D when is the site going to have a name change? will it be Nintendo Wii online? (just kidding)

A hook you say? Well how about the fact that the Nintendo Wii is going to be the first (properly) online home Nintendo console. Do a little bit of research on P.C. and Xbox clan websites, or websites devoted to online games. You could set up tournaments and other crap like that. Maybe even review and report on games that appear on the virtual console? I don't know i'm just throwing out ideas here.

Sign in to follow this