NEurope

I however am a hoarder. Introduce doner scheme for higher PM inbox/130x130 avatar and jobs' a goodun' by buying epic server.[/No idea how feasabile/feasible/feasable]

I was making a facetious point about my time preference. As Shorty says we actually have no control over it.

I however am a hoarder. Introduce doner scheme for higher PM inbox/130x130 avatar and jobs' a goodun' by buying epic server.[/No idea how feasabile/feasible/feasable]

I'd like bigger avatars if that's possible.

We all live without the Cube-Europe stuff. My vote would be to cull every thread older than a year, or something similarly drastic. I love culling.

I say even more drastic than that... Anything past the 2nd page. :)

I was making a facetious point about my time preference. As Shorty says we actually have no control over it.

Oh I thought he was just being his dickish self, didn't get that you had no control over it.

Carry on then.

Well ain't that charming? Shorty is an upstanding gentleman who does a hell of a lot for this place.

If your using Linux (which I assume you are, no one uses Windows for hosting really) and have access to it, you could use the rsync command. It only copies changes so it would be a lot faster to backup.

It's a linux server, but the site doesn't have a dedicated IP and runs alongside about 10 or 12 online stores. Everything is backed up using Acronis although another solution is being looked into. I have root access but the server is provided for free in return for a little advertising and I am not at liberty to make changes to the system setup.

One of two things will happen soon:

• A new system will be set up for backups, which solves the problem, alongside us streamlining the site significantly - out of my control
  • We will move onto a new server, which I have just bought a month's worth of hosting with to test its eligibility for running N-Europe/forum (and the streamlining will still take place)

Don't know if it's just me, but the Stretchable theme is pretty messed up on Firefox. May be something I did, but yeah. Look at it!

screenshot20110925at152.png

screenshot20110925at152.png

Ah that theme, I had forgotten about that theme. I was hosting the images elsewhere and that hosting expired. To be honest I don't know if I can recover them, but I'll have a look when I get chance. In the mean time, have you tried the "N-Europe Full Width" scheme?

I'm using the stretchable theme now and apart from the logo disappearing a while ago nothing has changed. I don't know why Nintendohnut seems to have random parts that are taking on a different appearance?!

Maybe some of the CSS was external and is gone now too, the Full Width theme was meant to replace stretchable anyway, as stretchable was just a 30 second job...

I'm using the stretchable theme now and apart from the logo disappearing a while ago nothing has changed. I don't know why Nintendohnut seems to have random parts that are taking on a different appearance?!

Perhaps the images are still in your cache.

I'm not so sure about donor schemes on forums for it encouraging an air of elitism and split base, though I am basing on very little here. How much does the site's hosting roughly cost a month, though?

At the moment, it's free and very powerful - but something is wrong with the configuration, and I need to do a lot of work on the site. I'm really hoping this helps, when I get round to it, because the other options are not as good:

What I'm looking at, because it's about all we can afford now, is a decent but shared hosting plan, at about £90 for two years. It's not a stellar package though though, SSH access and commands are limited, space is limited, db size is limited... I've bought a month's worth to test it and so far it's causing headaches.

What we really need is dedicated hosting, which you're looking at £35-40 per month for the very base package.

Edited by Shorty

Zehosting are good for shared hosting, you get 25GB space but you can add more. I use them and not had a problem with them. I don't think you have direct access to things like the apache settings files though.

At work we use http://www.linode.com/, cheapest option $19.95 USD a month.

Full ssh and root access

Guaranteed Resources

4 processor Xen instances

Out of band console shell

Dedicated IP address, premium bw

Six datacenters in the US, Europe, and Asia-Pacific

HA and Clustering Support

Bandwidth pooling

Managed DNS with API

I don't really need to mess with apache but I tried godaddy and you couldn't even use the 'make' command, went to install it and you couldn't use apt-get either... can't use mysql commands... absolutely useless. About all you could do was search/grep, extract/compress, rename/delete etc., the obvious file management options.

Those two sites look good though, thanks for the suggestions.

I'd genuinely donate £1 a month. I'm sure a dozen or two other members might feel the same. Might go some way to make things more feasible, if at least in the short term?

Yeah that would be great, but I'm not good at seeking charity :heh:

Well I got a month of Godaddy and...

I'm going to try ZeHosting because Godaddy has been absolute shite. Write that off as £4.99 wasted and leave it with a warning: stay the heck away from Godaddy shared hosting plans.

I don't think Zehosting allows apt-get mind, didn't work for me when I tried it unless they use a different command or something. I'm sure you can just ask them if you really need something.

Oh, they have a recurring 10% off code as well just enter 10%OFF when ordering.