NEurope

How about a "General Nintendo" thread for franchise-based discussion (i.e. non-console-specific talks of Pokémon/Zelda/Maria/etc). Perhaps even merged with Retro. Also, do we need the Wii Channel board? It may as well get merged with the Wii board with the amount of use it's getting.

Who is Maria? :p

How about a "General Nintendo" thread for franchise-based discussion (i.e. non-console-specific talks of Pokémon/Zelda/Mario/etc). Perhaps even merged with Retro.

Wait what, Retro? The retro board stays as is.

So does Retro_Link.

Also, do we need the Wii Channel board?

Yes.

Who is Maria? :p

I think we need to merge the entire forum into a single thread.

---

Okay, seriously. I see no reason why it shouldn't be okay to create new boards or maintain the existing ones. Things are clearly not broken the way they are and there are more than enough people willing to look after what we currently have. As long as these forums can be moderated by volunteers and people use them at least semi-regularly, there's no reason to remove them. They aren't doing any harm.

If you start condensing things, it's going to be hard to stop. You may essentially end up with a NeoGaf situation that, as much as I like it, probably wouldn't suit this community. The other end of the spectrum is the IGN boards situation, with a board for EVERYTHING - a complete mess.

However, a trial condensing may be useful to determine the effectiveness. I don't think anyone here would really disagree with that. Then again I believe some of the earlier trials we've had were basically permanent changes masquerading as trials. Am I wrong?

Edited by Guy

Okay, seriously. I see no reason why it shouldn't be okay to create new boards or maintain the existing ones. Things are clearly not broken the way they are and there are more than enough people willing to look after what we currently have. As long as these forums can be moderated by volunteers and people use them at least semi-regularly, there's no reason to remove them. They aren't doing any harm.

If you start condensing things, it's going to be hard to stop. You may essentially end up with a NeoGaf situation that, as much as I like it, probably wouldn't suit this community. The other end of the spectrum is the IGN boards situation, with a board for EVERYTHING - a complete mess.

However, a trial condensing may be useful to determine the effectiveness. I don't think anyone here would really disagree with that. Then again I believe some of the earlier trials we've had were basically permanent changes masquerading as trials. Am I wrong?

But unused boards can discourage threads. For example the high scores or online gaming. Nobody looks in there so nobody is going to make threads in it. But if it were in a better place or merged with another board then people will make the threads.

As long as these forums can be moderated by volunteers and people use them at least semi-regularly, there's no reason to remove them. They aren't doing any harm.

The main harm they do in my eyes is make part of the forums look stagnant and dead. As Moogle says, they also discourage people asking for help. I wouldn't mind if that board didn't exist and someone made a brand new thread in Handheld because they were stuck on a game, even if that game had its own thread somewhere.

It depends on your definition of semi-regularly really. The import discussion board hasn't been touched since early January. There were only two threads created in 2010.

I think most of us would agree on a general forum "reshuffle". Get a bit of structure sorted.

Probably sounding like a broken record but any chance we can recreate the Rate films thread? (Or even just something similar)

I think its been long enough since the big thread mash up that you guys must be able to see the drop off in movie chat? Yeah we get threads about the new films but never any chat about older ones anymore which is a real shame. We could even specify in the thread that if possible to keep chat to movie specific threads but I really do think some kind of more general thread is needed.

It annoys me actually, the lack of movie chat. I've mentioned this before.

Fine and well threads being made for the big new releases (they were created before the revamp anwway), but when I've tried making threads for individual, non-current, less popular films, they've bombed. I know the argument is "That's fine! 2-3 or replies doesn't means it's any less of a thread!" but it's...cluttered having pointless threads everywhere. Let me rate Mighty Aphrodite by Woody Allen in an environment where others are doing the same with other kinda unmentioned/old films, without having to see it sink like a stone.

grumble

I'm fascinated by these new members with weird names and obvious spam in their signatures. They can't be spam bots, can they? Their posts almost make sense and are usually somewhat related to the threads they are posted in. They have to be real people, right?

I picture people akin to Chinese gold farmers who are paid to register on various forums and make a few posts that hopefully won't be immediately deleted because it's not quite as obvious that they're spam.

I wonder if there's much money in that.

^That's pretty much what Shorty reckons :) People paid a pittance from india to physically get past verifications and post thinly-guised spam. We must be on some sort of database as we get them fairly frequently.

Guess that's a no RE: films.

Give us a chance. We are completely swamped with Pokémon threads to moderate here. :indeed: If only they had their own sub-forum! :cry:

Edited by darksnowman

Guess that's a no RE: films.

Less. Than. Twenty. Four. Hours.

Hold your horses, its mothers day. Some of us are busy y'know?

Right, not sure if this is the right place but i have a bit of a problem that arised today when browsing the forums.

Everytime I click on any link on the forum it decides to give me the 'N-europe Lite' setup. Now this is fine on my iphone, but i hate it on my laptop and it won't go away!

I've tried changing the templates and logging in and out (simple stuff).

Anyone else having an issue?

Cheers for the reply, but unfortunately neither worked.

Tried setting it to different ones, but as soon as I click save it reverts again.

It's really odd.

EDIT: Nevermind, fixed it. For some reason my computer decided to save that skin as a preference, deleting cookies sorted it.

/facepalm

Edited by Arnieboy

Since I read it.

It's been 10 days.

Have you come to a decision? :kiss:

I'm fascinated by these new members with weird names and obvious spam in their signatures. They can't be spam bots, can they? Their posts almost make sense and are usually somewhat related to the threads they are posted in. They have to be real people, right?

I picture people akin to Chinese gold farmers who are paid to register on various forums and make a few posts that hopefully won't be immediately deleted because it's not quite as obvious that they're spam.

I wonder if there's much money in that.

^That's pretty much what Shorty reckons :) People paid a pittance from india to physically get past verifications and post thinly-guised spam. We must be on some sort of database as we get them fairly frequently.

Yep. If everyone could make sure they report those users, we'll be faster at stamping them out.