NEurope

Being an absolute idiot.

You guys do realise this is aesthetically corrupting the forum, right? I'm not complaining. Quite the opposite, I think it's hilarious. But others might think differently.

Edited by Guy

Curse that beautiful, reproductive, musical, bread-on-face-avatar-once-upon-a-time bastard!

"You guys"? This isn't us, it's just Odwin. It's always just Odwin.

Nu-uh. Last name change was Ashley I reckon.

Being an absolute idiot.

You guys do realise this is aesthetically corrupting the forum' date=' right? I'm not complaining. Quite the opposite, I think it's hilarious. But others might think differently.[/quote']

Did you ever stop to think your Glee av/sig was aesthetically corrupting the forum?

"You guys"? This isn't us, it's just Odwin. It's always just Odwin.

Bah, just a different head of the same ogre.

That name is absolutely hilarious. Good show, although I can't possibly put my finger on the reference.

I nearly choked on my pipe smoke reading it.

So is "The best thing to happen to you today" the new mega thread with random posts?

I don't mean to be an ass and I can see that Wolfy did intend for it to be something else...

But... it will just turn into the meaningless post/how is your day etc. style of thread surely?

Well, hopefully not. Maybe thread-bans will be used if people use it to post things other than "the best thing to happen to them today". (This is something I just sporadically thought of, not something that's been considered).

Edit: Or perhaps the best thing to happen to you must be a bit less subjective. I mean, on a day when you get mugged and your house burns down, smashing your face into a car door might just be the best thing to happen to you today.

Maybe your day's thing has to reach at least a 7 on a predefined awesomeness scale.

Wesley - it was intended to be a thread for the most positive aspect of your day, not a ''three paragraphs of good things to happen to me'', some people have gone for the latter and although I keep reminding those on the thread and indeed Odders has too, it isn't meant to be a place to list everything good about the day, hence ''best''.

If it does continue I'll just ask a mod to close it, I honestly just wanted something positive for people around - not that there wasn't already, but it wasn't all that personal.

*shrug*

Yeah I get the intention, I was just commenting on what it may turn into was all.

Yeah I get the intention, I was just commenting on what it may turn into was all.

If it does then it gets closed, it'll be fine.

Is it possible to have the automerge function completely removed? It's annoying in mafia games and actually a possible way of cheating without getting caught, and elsewhere most people just edit their original post if they want to add something to it.

I don't see how it can allow cheating, can you specify? The game threads are (usually) busy enough whereby if you have more to add then waiting 'til someone else posts won't take long.

The time between posts has been reduced to 12 hours currently (iirc), and with automerge-prevention posts for GMs it's fine. It's not possible to prevent automerges for specific threads, either.

You can easily edit a post and then just write, automerge doublepost, can you not?

Well for it to be convincing you'd have to add a whole new paragraph, and the time it takes to write a new paragraph in a busy and popular thread is a time of risk - someone might see the original post and then notice your alteration and raise the alert.

if it bothers the GM that much, then they could enforce a rule of their own commanding players to not post unless someone else has posted after them.

You should question why the rule's there in the first place, and remember that technically you're playing amongst friends, and any such loophole devilry will be remembered even when the game is ended.

Rather than trying to change the system that houses the game, try changing the game? The automerge function is something we've abided by for a long time, and it's not really that big an issue.

I'm sorry but we can't change a function designed to help the way the entire forum runs, just for one game thread - the trend of which will soon die out again for another 6 months.

As a matter of curiosity, how old does a thread need to be before posting in it is considered bumping? The time frame can vary between communities so I'm curious in regards to this forum.

We're sort of 'in between' official rules at the moment. Generally you're safe with bringing something back from the first two pages, otherwise it's risky business. Obv. any thread bumped with "lol" is ridiculous. If you're not sure, PM a red or blue name with the thread link and they can tell you yay or nay :)

As a matter of curiosity, how old does a thread need to be before posting in it is considered bumping? The time frame can vary between communities so I'm curious in regards to this forum.

I think it's also based on the actual bumping itself. If it's an old thread try and work out if it's worth bumping or creating a new thread for it.