NEurope

I’m also getting it now. It’s fine on my tablet and PC but I’m having to stop visiting the forum on my phone now as the Captcha is way too often, every time I refresh the page.

Getting the Captcha myself on my works laptop as well as my own and mobile browser.  Had it twice, once from refreshing the page.

I'm not getting a CAPCHA, but i do get a few seconds of Cloudflare checking, which is presumably why my Tapatalk app is refusing to load on my phone.

Yep, same issue here, and I think it's getting worse. It's gone from every hour or so to every fourth or fifth page I visit. 

Haven't tried my desktop yet, will probably do that tomorrow, but I've run some anti-virus scans and nothing is coming up, so I'm not sure if it's us or if security has just tightened a bit too much for the site? 

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be fixed sooner rather than later :smile:

It's to check that you are not all bots.

Please can you check your fuel cells immediately.

• Like 1

dSlIX7L.gif

But it is indeed going on for a while now and pretty annoying. I'm not sure if there is something we can do about it or that it is from the hosting company? Maybe @Shorty or @S.C.G know?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

But it is indeed going on for a while now and pretty annoying. I'm not sure if there is something we can do about it or that it is from the hosting company? Maybe @Shorty or @S.C.G know?

It is probably to do with our hosting, I think it might even be in order to stop the site and forums going down so frequently.

I wasn't aware that there were captcha's coming up though, is this the case for some users?

All I've seen is the DDOS cloudflare protection thing, which seems to come up if you either haven't used the site for a certain period of time, or when first loading it up.

• Thanks 1

We were under attack for a bit, I have lowered the protection level now.

• Thanks 7

15 minutes ago, Shorty said:

We were under attack for a bit, I have lowered the protection level now.

Seems to have gone away for me now, cheers Shorty :peace:

Are there any approval sanctions on new signups or verfications they need to do? @cheezopath should be a recent account signing up to join Smeagol's mafia but word is that they currently cannot post?

4 minutes ago, Rummy said:

Are there any approval sanctions on new signups or verfications they need to do? @cheezopath should be a recent account signing up to join Smeagol's mafia but word is that they currently cannot post?

I'm not aware of any new signup verifications, but it's a possibility as we were having some bot(?) trouble on the site/forum recently, but I think all is OK now.

@Shorty will likely know the answer to this, if nothing has changed though and a new member can't post, then there would seem to be something wrong somewhere.

• Thanks 1

Deferring to @Ashley who I believe put some restrictions on new signups recently to try and scupper bots. I think the intention was to prevent new accounts making threads - not replies.

• Thanks 2

Put on stuff to prevent spam/linking but not to prevent posting at all. Have they verified their email? Some people get stuck there. Can move them past it but currently unavailable, but can do it in the morning if not. 

• Thanks 2

Noticed a few other forums I visit have upgraded the software to the latest version and it seems like a big improvement (more so than other updates) - any plans to upgrade us soon?

2 minutes ago, Will said:

Noticed a few other forums I visit have upgraded the software to the latest version and it seems like a big improvement (more so than other updates) - any plans to upgrade us soon?

Pff, why don't you just leave this one and stay with your cool, new and updated forums?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Will said:

To be honest @Shorty and I keep saying we should and then just... Never get round to it!

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Ashley said:

To be honest @Shorty and I keep saying we should and then just... Never get round to it!

The reason we held off is that lots of custom themes were created and I'm worried how many of them will break.

We could perhaps look into it though, what were the big changes?

There’s a ton of general functionality updates and then everything just seems ‘nicer’ - For me at least. I believe it’s also due to work with the mobile app Invision are currently testing which would be quite nice for some users.

They do seem to have updated the default theme quite a bit which might suggest it would indeed break a lot of custom things. I guess there might be some work re-doing them based on the new default to really get the full advantage of the update.

Wanted to embed this one, but I don't seem to be able to. Does this show up for others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEefZSvh434

I specifically get the error "The link could not be embedded because it is not in a supported format"

If it doesn't show up, is it a technical issue, or some Youtube copyright protection license thing (which I guess, is techically also a technical issue)?

On 25/12/2020 at 7:51 PM, Sméagol said:

Wanted to embed this one, but I don't seem to be able to. Does this show up for others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEefZSvh434

I specifically get the error "The link could not be embedded because it is not in a supported format"

If it doesn't show up, is it a technical issue, or some Youtube copyright protection license thing (which I guess, is techically also a technical issue)?

It does seem weird - I apparently can't paste your link either but Gangnam Style parses fine(picked a super popular filter in case its youtube's backends blocking embedding of videos - speculating merely because my whatsapp 'embeds' of youtube videos dont happen recently but other links continue as normal).

Can you find any videos you WOULD post that you find DO work?

(i am nothing on the technical backend of this place btw these are all my speculations lol)

12 hours ago, Rummy said:

Can you find any videos you WOULD post that you find DO work?

Yeah, but I wanted to embed that particular video. Plus another which had the same problem. Copy protection rights woud be my guess, but I've never seen those errors before.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Yeah, but I wanted to embed that particular video. Plus another which had the same problem. Copy protection rights woud be my guess, but I've never seen those errors before.

Hmm I was just speculation there may be a correlation in your content that more of what you want to use doesnt work. Youtube has certainly gone hard on the ads recently and I did note some stuff doesn't preview embed in whatsapp lately - I'd be curious if its happening to the same videos both here and whatsapp. I think I'd conclude rights/drm issues similar to yourself - poss linked to tevenue protrction and Youtube's monetization schemes. Pure speculation tho.

14 hours ago, Sméagol said:

That video in particular has been set to not allow embedding by the owner.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Will said:

That video in particular has been set to not allow embedding by the owner.

Aha! How is it that you find out? Was half-aware of it as a thing didn't think it was much done by many tho(gotta get dem views innit)