NEurope

I could probably disable it for you, but how do I know you're really you :eek:

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Have him show up at NE HQ to show you his ID.

• Haha 2

On 05/07/2019 at 1:25 PM, Shorty said:

On 05/07/2019 at 3:03 PM, Sméagol said:

Have him show up at NE HQ to show you his ID.

There’s a HQ? Man I did not know that!

do I go down a green pipe to get there?

seriously though, I now have an intense dislike for 2FA through an app.

do I need to pass security questions? Perform an elaborate improve comedy show? Lie detector? Do I need to do a captcha to prove I am not a bot? Might have difficulty with that last one 

Edited by Agent Gibbs

6 minutes ago, Agent Gibbs said:

There’s a HQ? Man I did not know that!

do I go down a green pipe to get there?

seriously though, I now have an intense dislike for 2FA through an app.

do I need to pass security questions? Perform an elaborate improve comedy show? Lie detector? Do I need to do a captcha to prove I am not a bot? Might have difficulty with that last one 

The Lastpass authenticator app allows you to backup to your Google account so if you lose the app you can restore it easily. Authy does something similar I believe, which is fairly popular. Other authenticator apps are available.

Not sure why the Google one doesn't allow to backup. Probably "security".

The app method is more secure than via text.

For what it's worth, yes an improv comedy show would work. 

In the past I've been able to get my Google authentication back when I've switched phones but it has been a faff. Can't remember what exactly but there is a link to an alternative method. 

Stupid question but are you still having issues and need me to switch it off?

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

For what it's worth, yes an improv comedy show would work. 

In the past I've been able to get my Google authentication back when I've switched phones but it has been a faff. Can't remember what exactly but there is a link to an alternative method. 

Stupid question but are you still having issues and need me to switch it off?

Yeah please can you turn it off, I authorised my home PCfor 30 days so istill have access here, but ihaven'ta clue when that runs out. Once i've foudn the right app to do it (authy or the one @Ike mentioned might be worth a try) i'll reactivate it myself.

The google Authenticator app supposedly can restore 'accounts' you have in it with backup codes, but you need to generate them before hand and there seems to be no other alternative i've found yet.

45 minutes ago, Agent Gibbs said:

Yeah please can you turn it off, I authorised my home PCfor 30 days so istill have access here, but ihaven'ta clue when that runs out. Once i've foudn the right app to do it (authy or the one @Ike mentioned might be worth a try) i'll reactivate it myself.

The google Authenticator app supposedly can restore 'accounts' you have in it with backup codes, but you need to generate them before hand and there seems to be no other alternative i've found yet.

The backup codes are per site to give you access in case you lose access, so it would only give you login access to your Google account so you can disable and re-enable the 2 step. 

The method @Ashley is probably refering to requires you have access to your old phone with the authenticator app on with root access and using the command line on a PC to dump the SQLite database. There's no other way to restore existing linked sites, apart from using Titanium backup which just cuts out the command line, it still requires having root and access to your old authenticator.

I'm assuming you''re on an Android phone so it might be different on iPhone.

6 hours ago, Ike said:

The backup codes are per site to give you access in case you lose access, so it would only give you login access to your Google account so you can disable and re-enable the 2 step. 

The method @Ashley is probably refering to requires you have access to your old phone with the authenticator app on with root access and using the command line on a PC to dump the SQLite database. There's no other way to restore existing linked sites, apart from using Titanium backup which just cuts out the command line, it still requires having root and access to your old authenticator.

I'm assuming you''re on an Android phone so it might be different on iPhone.

I am on Android but I didn't do all that... I clicked the "verify using another method" but maybe I'm misremembering and I got Shorty to sort it out for me. 

Anyway, @Agent Gibbs you should now be okay

Yeah iPhone still (and honestly not sure why these days, i kept it for my music but i use Spotify now)

Looks all good now, just need to reset up 2FA thanks @Ashley @Shorty and @Ike for all the help and advice

Is it possible to give Sheikah and Ronnie their own little section of the forum to argue in? Might clear up some threads for other people to chat in :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ThiophenSJ said:

Well kinda. I had an account before, named Thiophen, but I was unable to get back into it. Thus I've just been lurking semi-constantly, until I finally had the urge to write something. :p

@Shorty is there any way we can help @Thiophen regain access to their original account please? :smile: (assuming that access to it is wanted of course)

24 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

@Shorty is there any way we can help @Thiophen regain access to their original account please? :smile: (assuming that access to it is wanted of course)

Nah, I'm fine with my new account, but thanks for asking. The problem is, I don't remember the password of my old account and the email-adress is not existing anymore. But anyway, I don't need the access back. You can delete it though, if you want.

Edited by ThiophenSJ
  • Thanks 1

Weeeell I probably won't delete an account you have no access to.......... So it can just sit there, preserved for all time :)

• Thanks 1

Did you change the comment system on the frontpage to Disqus? I'd swear there was a native comment system before.

On 13/09/2019 at 12:03 AM, Sméagol said:

Did you change the comment system on the frontpage to Disqus? I'd swear there was a native comment system before.

Like two years ago, yeah. 

I've got a question about the accessibility of the main site. When I type in N-Europe.com by default it goes to http://. When I go to the forum it goes to https://, so the more encrypted route.

The case is my work WiFi started blocking http websites, so on my work WiFi I can access the forum but not the main site. I can manually type in https://www.n-europe.com but that is not loading properly.

I also read that in the future Google Chrome may start blocking http sites or elements completely.

So the question is: is it possible to make the main site also encrypted through https? That way it may be a bit more future proof.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for pointing it out. There was a certificate in place but a redirect needed adding, and the content links needed updating.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shorty said:

Thanks for pointing it out. There was a certificate in place but a redirect needed adding, and the content links needed updating.

Cheers @Shorty, it works and I can now access the site on my work's wifi!

On 10/10/2019 at 3:02 PM, Happenstance said:

Get back to work!

I mean, he's part of the staff here, so he already is?

• Haha 2

I don't think you can?

I think we can when creating or editing a topic (but worth giving it a go to see if you can) but honestly we jokingly used it when we switched to this forum and then forgot about it!

(It is on topic creation by the way, just checked. It appears under the subject box)

18 hours ago, Ashley said:

I don't think you can?

I think we can when creating or editing a topic (but worth giving it a go to see if you can) but honestly we jokingly used it when we switched to this forum and then forgot about it!

(It is on topic creation by the way, just checked. It appears under the subject box)

No I don't see it, so I guess it's the crew. Too bad, I wanted to add a tag in a thread, something that was possible in the old forums, and since I still see some tags here, I presumed I was able to do so here as well.

4 hours ago, Sméagol said:

No I don't see it, so I guess it's the crew. Too bad, I wanted to add a tag in a thread, something that was possible in the old forums, and since I still see some tags here, I presumed I was able to do so here as well.

Maybe it is something we can add. I think it's probably just an oversight rather than intentional.