NEurope

Thanks :) I've just sent them a message asking about the things I can do, I won't need apt-get if they already have midnight commander, or if 'make' works.

The plan sounds nice but their website could be a little more comprehensive. The Knowledge Base has one category, "Email", which is empty :heh:

Edited by Shorty

The plan sounds nice but their website could be a little more comprehensive. The Knowledge Base has one category, "Email", which is empty :heh:

Haha, yeah. They're terrible in that regard :laughing:

By the way people a good way to help our server, and thus the 503 errors, would be to not fill it with stuff :heh:

So if you've got an avatar try hosting it elsewhere and linking it. Similarly with attachments.

We are working on ways to improve things (and deleting old attachments and threads) but just wanted to let you know how you can help too.

I'm with Odwin about deleting stuff.

It'd be awesome if you just chopped off 95% of the history.

Don't worry I'm doing that too. Just deleted several hundred threads.

Speaking of its just been brought to my attention that deleting a thread automates a PM to the thread poster. Apologies if you've gotten one/lots. Will switch this feature off in the future when doing mass deleting.

Edited by Ashley

Awesome.

Delete anything older than a month.

Go on.

DO EEEEET!

Unique content is really good for your search ranking, so we won't be doing anything quite as drastic as that.

It takes up space, which is causing server strain, which is causing server downtime, which is causing sad faced members.

Is anyone else being asked to sign into a website any time you go to a page on the forums? Get taller.com or something like that.

It takes up space, which is causing server strain, which is causing server downtime, which is causing sad faced members.

I get that, but why are some people interested in deleting everything up to a month ago? It seems a bit extreme.

Some people are extreme. It's the nature of life. I'm certainly not going to delete things a month old, don't worry.

Is anyone else being asked to sign into a website any time you go to a page on the forums? Get taller.com or something like that.

That's not actually an advert or anything, that's because of the theme you're using pointing to files on a server which is no longer accessible. Thought I had stopped it though... hopefully will have gone now.

Edited by Shorty

How old are you Wesley?

I'm 23.

I have to think about it for a second before I realise that.

But I don't suggest you delete anything that's older than 23 years because nothing will get deleted.

Although I appreciate you trying to preserve anything I may have had an affect on.

Hum, I'm training to be a teacher and I realise my email is the same as my forum name, can it possibly be changed to DJCG instead to prevent future employers from digging dirt on me?

Can you put the skype icon image on your own server? It’s not showing up for me, which results in a messed up layout (the avatar & info area is wider than the rest).

It never really annoyed me because only a few people have their skype number in their profile, but then again, it’s easily corrected..?

ne-skype.png

I’ve added a fake skypename myself, in order to show it directly, but it doesn’t seem to show up (at all in this case), maybe it takes a while, or perhaps it is because it’s a fake name.

Anyway, if it works it’ll be clear if it’s just me or something on your end.

Edit 00:

Hmm, weird. Magnus snuck in a post while I was posting.. But anyway, it also seems display correctly for me, in every case, even the one above. ::shrug:

Edit 01:

God dammit. I’ll be up all night finding out why it works now but didn’t initially!

Edit 02:

Although, usually you can blame these kind of things on the cashe. Stupid cashe.

Edited by Sméagol

No, I can view the image outside of the forum when it’s missing. Anyway, like I said, must be a cache thing or something. Sometimes it’s there, sometimes it’s not, but it’s not a big problem.

Bit of a strange one, but is the forum running slow for anyone else? It's fine on my computer but ever since I updated to ios 5 on iPhone, it seems to take ages to type and for posts to load up. All other websites I visit on my phone are fine. Just this one

I know there's a smartphone version of the forums but I prefer the normal one.

Guys, I have a question about the layout: why does the forum appear on the left side of the screen? I just realised the optimal resolution for my widescreen monitor, and now the forum appears on the left with a huge amount of gray space on the right. If I go to the main page of the news site, however, all of the stuff appears in the middle like it should. What's going on here, some setting I've missed? :o