NEurope

2. Qs

I got a permission error thanking j7 but I can thank you shorty?

Also on the mobile theme why can't I just click the name of the thread? This damn blue squares are tiny.

1. We don't allow jayseven to be thanked, he doesn't deserve it.

Not really, I don't know why that happened.

2. We didn't make the mobile theme.

(The only way I've accessed it, is by wall posting to someone when I can't do it because I've wall posted within the last 30 seconds) but then it comes up with a conversation list of our merged wall comments. :D

You mean 'view conversation' that has been there since visitor messaging?

You mean 'view conversation' that has been there since visitor messaging?

Oh.

Is anyone else getting 404 errors when trying to load N-E? It keeps happening to me, quite a few times per day. And usually lasts a while.

Just wondering if it's just me.

6srn86.jpg

Is that what you're getting?

If so try doing what it says and let us know what happens.

6srn86.jpg

Is that what you're getting?

If so try doing what it says and let us know what happens.

I got that page once actually. Now I get some green looking page which names an error on it or whatever. Just happened again. I'll take a screenshot next time.

But yeah when I tried whatever that page suggested, it didn't work. Couldn't flush my DNS thing. =P

Hmm well this was also happening to GCTonyHawk (it is he who provided the cap) and Shorty said it seems that his (and presumably) your ISP hasn't updated its DNS server and he/you're going to the old one. Not sure what's happened since but last I heard Shorty was stuck waiting for the AA so...

It is good practice for everyone to change their DNS servers to either google or OpenDNS.

Ok it happened again so I took a screenshot. The screenshot you posted Ashley is the one that shows up when I try to load the main site/news site. This is what I get when I try to load the forums:

Afbeelding2-6.png

I tried to do that whole DNS cache flush thing but I just get this error: -bash: dscache: command not found

And I don't know anything about all this stuff or how to change to a different DNS or log into a router and all that...

Ok it happened again so I took a screenshot. The screenshot you posted Ashley is the one that shows up when I try to load the main site/news site. This is what I get when I try to load the forums:

Afbeelding2-6.png

I tried to do that whole DNS cache flush thing but I just get this error: -bash: dscache: command not found

And I don't know anything about all this stuff or how to change to a different DNS or log into a router and all that...

Are you clicking on a link in your bookmarks?

I was having the same problem when doing so from my phone but then I just typed in the address directly, at which point the site loaded normally, and came here before saving a new bookmark. I could load the site in one window, and generate that error in another at the same time.

Edited by Captain Falcon

[img.../IMG]

Can you try using another browser, to check that it's not your browser cache?

To flush DNS on mac, the terminal command is

lookupd -flushcache

If you're on leopard you can use

dscacheutil -flushcache

To access your router and change the DNS servers, you will usually find an IP address written on the bottom of the router. Visit that address in your browser like you would any normal URL and then look for DNS server settings. There should be boxes to enter two DNS servers, these are the OpenDNS servers to enter:

(if you do this, make a note of the current servers, if any, before you change it)

There's a proper guide here: https://store.opendns.com/setup/router/

Apologies for this situation. I know I'm not in a place to make excuses but this would've happened anyway, since even if we stayed with AMN we were going over to a new server.

Edited by Shorty

I was getting that for a while, but clearing my DNS cache solved the problem. I did have to restart the browser before it worked though.

I was getting that for a while, but clearing my DNS cache solved the problem. I did have to restart the browser before it worked though.

How do you know if you've successfully flushed your DNS cache though? I mean I still don't know if it worked or not. =/

I'm not sure I want to change the DNS servers or whatever since I don't know what it does and I'm not the only one using this internet.

I typed in the exact command listed on the website, and didn't get a syntax error, Normally you would get a syntax error if you typed it in wrong.

How do you know if you've successfully flushed your DNS cache though? I mean I still don't know if it worked or not. =/

I'm not sure I want to change the DNS servers or whatever since I don't know what it does and I'm not the only one using this internet.

A DNS server is like a computer which your ISP uses to match up domain names to the actual computer that the site is stored on. Your ISP should refresh these at least every 72 hours.

OpenDNS and Google provide alternative DNS servers which are updated much more frequently. It's actually a significantly better practice to use theirs. And if you make a note of the current DNS servers before you change it, you can always put it back immediately afterwards.

Did you try on another browser?

In Chrome (7), I still have some display issues. The frontpage looks ok now, but when I click an article, it still displays incorrectly. I'm sure it's the exact same problem as with the frontpage first, slthough this is less annoying. But the title of the article, the menu on the left, and the searchfield, all display over the logobanner.

Weirdly, in IE 9, it initially loads up the same as in Chrome, but seems to correct itself, I assume when it's fully loaded, then looks ok.

But, it seems to have a different issue on the forum itself, the sponsor links below.

Screencap attached if you're interested.