NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pyxis

Integrated graphics

Ive had this PC for 2 years now and what has always been a let down is the 32mb integrated graphics it came with... Is it at all possible to put a proper graphics card into this PC or not? Im getting a new laptop, but want to still have this one around to attach my wireless router to.

Try find out whther your motherboard has a AGP slot or a PCI Express slot. if it does then you can get a separate GFX card. If it doesn't - hard luck.

If you're getting a laptop, why don't you save your pennies and get a laptop with a sperate GFX card in that? Im getting one with an ATI x700 card - its not great - but it'll do for a lappy.

Anyway, report back about the AGP/PCI Express slot!

How are we going to know if you tell us nothing about your actual PC?

Is it at all possible to put a proper graphics card into this PC or not?
Yes. All motherboards made within the last few years will definitely have either an AGP slot or a PCI-E slot. Find out which one yours has.

God, did i say 2 years? It is actually 3 years old...

Its an:

AMD Athlon XP 2000

512mb RAM

80gb Hard drive

DSCF2256.jpg

Those slots at the bottom are PCI slots right? One has a card for USBs.

I am going to get one of those ultraportable laptops with the 12inch screens, so not much chance of getting a proper graphics card for one of those! This old pc has my wireless router connected to it, so i want to keep it and if possible, finally get to play Command and Conquer Generals (bought it 3 years ago and it remains unplayed!). Will any PCI graphics card be ok?

An ultra portable laptop is a good idea. I got fed up of lugging my 15.4 inch laptop around. It was good for watching movies during lectures though.

God, did i say 2 years? It is actually 3 years old...

Its an:

AMD Athlon XP 2000

512mb RAM

80gb Hard drive

DSCF2256.jpg

Sorry mate, I don't see any AGP slots on there, and it'll definately NOT have PCI Express slots on there... in fact, that's the only pc I've ever seen in my short life without an AGP slot :) I have 0 experience with the PCI graphics card market, but I think it's safe to say that no PCI card is fast enough to run C&C Generals, light as the game may be (correct me if I'm wrong please!)

Hope I could help out.

what Dieter said, you have neither an agp or pci-e slot, the only thing you could get would be a pci based one, but frankly they are wank.

Wow a motherboard with no graphics slot.. and it's definitely not worth buying a PCI graphics card.

If it were my PC, I would buy a decent Skt A motherboard and an AGP card for it, or just use it as an excuse to totally upgrade my system. I see you're getting a laptop, hope that's got a good gfx chip in it!

thanks guys, you've all been really helpful! Changing the motherboard seems like a good idea.

..I'll play C&C: Generals if its the last thing I do!

I thought socket a mobos are pretty hard to find nowadays. I had to upgrade to 64bit after a *cough* bios updating *cough* accident...

I finally got hold of a PCI graphics card...its a 128mb ATI Radeon 9250 and was super cheap. It took me about 5 hours of work to figure out how to disable my integrated graphics. I had to play around in the BIOS screen in the end as my comp started running a dual screen set up with 1 monitor....

Im now a proud owner of C&C - The First Decade. It plays fine on a nice resolution aslong as you stay away from the high quality graphics setting.: peace:

Wow a motherboard with no graphics slot.. and it's definitely not worth buying a PCI graphics card.

If it were my PC, I would buy a decent Skt A motherboard and an AGP card for it, or just use it as an excuse to totally upgrade my system. I see you're getting a laptop, hope that's got a good gfx chip in it!

You think thats crap??? cheack out my rig

800 mhz Pentium 3

320 mb ram

30 gig harddrive space

onboard graphics

basic creative sound card.

Sign in to follow this