NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
penic99

Low specs point to good news

I posted this on the IGN boards but since no one there can engage in constructive debate, I thought that I would try here instead.

The latest confirmation of the horse-power of the Revolution didn't surprise me at all. Nintendo have been saying since E3 2005 that the Revo would not compete just based on graphical superiority. Yet at the same time Nintendo knows that graphics are important for the consumer, it's the first port of call when deciding to buy a game; the potential buyer will say to himself "Do the graphics look good?"

However I think that the graphics will look good. Remember Iwata's famous comment, he said that when you see Revolution's graphics "You will say WOW!" I believe this will be achieved in two ways, firstly exactly as Matt has recently stated. Nintendo have a great history of making the most out of the hardware that they have in their systems (e.g. Metroid & Resident Evil on GCN or Goldeneye & Zelda on N64), it will be the same for Revolution. Second and more importantly the Revolution will feature a visual disruptor. What I mean by this is that the Revolution will have a way of displaying the graphics in a way previously unseen in console gaming. I don't know how this will be done or by what technology but all the signs point to this:

# A console with low specs, as stated by IGN, would not cost a lot of money to produce. "But the Revolution will be cheap!" I hear you say, true but unless they're planning to sell it for $100 then they'll be making loads of money off of each machine.

# Miyamoto and others have made cryptic comments about games filling whole rooms or about not using TVs to display graphics.

# Insider quotes proclaiming unseen features of Revolution, such as this recent one from Pandemic studios; "we've actually just seen some things behind closed doors that are just mind-blowing."

Think about this, everyone knows that DS was a test-bed for the Revolution formula and philosophy. Innovative control and newer fresher games. Lets compare each aspect of two systems:

Aspect of System - DS - Revolution

1. Innovative control - stylus and touch screen, microphone - FHC, maybe a microphone?

2. Online play - Wifi connection - expanded Wifi connection

3. Games - New fresh games - new fresh games

4. Backwards comp. - GBA slot - virtual console

5. Expense - cheaper than competition - cheaper than competition

5. Visual - two screens - ???

So what is missing from this mix for Revolution, the visual element.

Satoru Iwata @ GDC - "There are some other unique features of the Nintendo Revolution hardware that we haven't discussed yet that we will be announcing at E3."

So in conclusion don't be too down-heartened by this latest specs news. I think that Nintendo still has a few tricks left up it's sleeve. ;)

theirs no doubt in my mind that they have something going on, whether it be in the graphics department or not

well i think we will have a perfectly adequet console.......

in the X360 and PS3

The Nintendo ???? will be an amazing console.

that is what i expect.

I think I'm repeating myself too often but I really believe they will have stereoscopic 3D, so you get 3D images on a regular TV without any glasses.

And I think that is also the reason why they didn't show any screenshots.

A console with low specs, as stated by IGN, would not cost a lot of money to produce. "But the Revolution will be cheap!" I hear you say, true but unless they're planning to sell it for $100 then they'll be making loads of money off of each machine.

They better not charge much more.. MAX $129 for that hardware, or its to expensive, unless the specs are fake and is much higher.

i am willing to pay £150 for my rev so what would that be in US $?

WAAAAAAAAAY too much.. its about $250 i think.

but in the UK we always end up paying more for consoles because of VAT etc, so nintendo just tend to turn the dollar value into pounds so if the rev was £150 then the US would be $150 ish.

They better not charge much more.. MAX $129 for that hardware, or its to expensive, unless the specs are fake and is much higher.

:/ prise vs Specs? :nono:

I'm buying it anyways. I'll glady pay more than $129 for the revolutionary part of the N5

I must admit if those specs from IGN turn out to the final specs (I doubt it) You are looking at a £100 a pop which would be great.

it will defo be more expenxive than that.a DS cost that much at launch. no way the rev will cost the same.

GameCube was £130 at launch wasn't it? It was gonna be about £150 and they dropped it just before it came out. Or am I going mad?

So in conclusion don't be too down-heartened by this latest specs news

i never was.... nintendo have never said it will be powerul as 360, let alone ps3.

the size of the thing lets you know that....

and the low price = fantastic news.

Nintendo could capture a massive share of the market without making the huge losses that sony and microsoft have to.

i'm surpremely confident about the rev in a way i haven;t been about any new format in my 15years of being a console gamer.

I'll pay up to £169 for a Revolution with a FHC + nunchuka and stand.

I've factored in VAT and just general rounding up that Europe seems to receive.

I don't think I'm willing to stretch to £189 which I'm pretty sure will be a vague launch price.

Europe has to deal with the: oh that's pretty cheap it must be shit attitude.

yeah it defintly carn't be to really cheap or it will get that image, ill pay up to the gamecube price even a bit more if needed since the virtual console feature add's allot of value for me since i did not get the chance to play many snes or nes games.

£149.99 would be a good price if they pushed a lot of accessories with the console, like the nunchuks and controller shell...it would be great opening up a box and finding lots of extras to play around with.

I don't believe those are even the final specs to be honest, strange how it came about a little before today. I'm gonna say the console will probably be about €210.

so nintendo just tend to turn the dollar value into pounds so if the rev was £150 then the US would be $150 ish.

Really? ._. I thought they changed it from $ -> €. Like the DS cost $150, and cost €150 here. How much did GC cost? I remember seeing it retail for €200 at launch or something around that price point. But whatever. There's also a 10 added to the price of games. ($50 -> €55-60, despite the € being worth more. =P).

Nintendo are far more reasonable with currencies.

Sony charged $300 for the PS2, and £300 in the UK- total rip-off.

The DS as you state costed $150, and here it's £89, or £99 with a game- quite fair to me.

The Revolution is stated to cost less than $299 as far as I'm aware.. now if that's the case we can expect to pay around £189, just over half.

If the console debuts less than $299- let's say $249 (which all sane analysts point to) we can expect to pay £169 or below.

The Revolution will ship with the Stand, FHC, Nunchuka add-on, Console, Controller wand receiver and all required AV/power cables. probably a demo disc too?

We wont be getting the shell as standard as far as I'm aware.

I can't see them pulling a 'Sony' on us and charging £249 when the 360 core pack is so cheap in comparison.

I think I remember paying about 199 euro for my GC back in the day; I can't really imagine the Revolution to be sold for less than that. Anyway, I think I'm willing to pay a maximum of 300 euro for it, though of course less is better.

cant remember the cube launch price in Euros, but it was £129.99 in the UK. They stated a price of £179.99 and then lowered it a couple of weeks before the launch, if I remember correctly.

Sign in to follow this