NEurope
Teppo Holmqvist

Bad news for PSP, Walmart stops selling UMD-movies

Yeah, and I remember reading that some major movie companys are canceling making UMD movies at all

This is quite a bad thing for PSP i believe. Isn't Walmart massive in America?

EDIT:

bad not back. meh

Teenage boys realized that watching movies on a handheld doesnt make them more popular or get them girlfriends, they called it a day on UMDs

Good one Sony!

This is quite a back thing for PSP i believe. Isn't Walmart massive in America?

It is more than massive, it is HUGE. For example, company sells about 40 percent of all mainstream music in USA. That's why record companies are even willing to make "Walmart compatible" versions of their album that have all swearing or otherwise controversial material censored.

"It's awful. Sales are near zilch. It's another Sony bomb -- like Blu-ray."

This i found quite a "hard" statement. i am not a fan of sony but totally writing off blu ray before the PS3 has even been released.

Oh i've been waiting for this day, Jack of all trades and master of none indeed.

Sure the whole idea of it playing movies was good, but once people started to realise, "I've already got this on DVD, why should i pay full price to buy it again just to play it on the PSP?" It may be smaller than a portable DVD player but the portable DVD player makes more sense in the wallet department.

It was going to happen. Tne format has so many disadvantages:

1) Can't use UMDs on any other device other than PSP

2) UMD's are just inferior to DVD

3) The cost of a DVD is not much more then a UMD.

Look for cheap UMDs in the summer sales this year. UMD will be gone by the end of the year.

And no you can't call PSP a flop yet.

Yeah UMD's are going the way of the dino but to be honest I think we all knew it wasn't going to catch on.

As for saying the same for blu-ray.. I'm not so sure. I think HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will become like extreme edition dvd's. They're nice to have but no one will totally disown normal dvd's. Not for atleast 3-4 years anyway.

As for the PSP... It's still selling and it's selling fairly well so i wouldn't call it a flop either

The UMD's problem is that you don't need it to watch movies, most people realised it a long time ago that you might as well buy the dvd and rip it to the PSP memory card.

It is more than massive, it is HUGE. For example, company sells about 40 percent of all mainstream music in USA. That's why record companies are even willing to make "Walmart compatible" versions of their album that have all swearing or otherwise controversial material censored.

Same with games as the don't stock the highest age ratting games (games like gta are 17+ rather, so are still sold). So companies edited there games to be sold there (like gta taking out the hidden sex scene from all future copies, so the could continue to sell it at Walmart). They also can controll games cover art, take prodect rub, the added the swim suit to the siluete girl for the us (and UK?) version, because of Walmart.

Can we start calling PSP an official flop yet?

Down boy! Not yet, almost though.

yeah i was thinking that, i think Walmart order companies around to make products the way they want to, (other than music), and if they don't make them the way they want, they won't buy and the company in question does badly. Ahhh Walmart. heh.

I know i think it's crap. I played that racing game, you know the one... It was slow and sluggish, and you waited ages for it to load what a piece of crap. The only amazing thing i find about the PSP is the screen, its unbelievable.

While looking for the name of that racing game, i found this...

929985_20051215_screen003.jpg

WTF?

I know i think it's crap. I played that racing game, you know the one... It was slow and sluggish, and you waited ages for it to load what a piece of crap. The only amazing thing i find about the PSP is the screen, its unbelievable.

While looking for the name of that racing game, i found this...

929985_20051215_screen003.jpg

WTF?

Thats a karamuri (spelt wrong) game, there supposed to be really good.

I just watched a video of it on Gamespot, it looks really fun!

Katamari Damacy. I want it.

I love the wee men on it with log heads.

Reason? Because Sony are rolling out their DVD UMD bundles after much criticism (and rightly so) that we shouldn't have to pay more than a standard DVD just to watch it on the PSP.. it's called UMD and only plays on the PSP. How Universal is that? Not at all.

Besides the point.. the new DVD UMD bundles will contain the same film, the DVD may contain certain extras and they'll cost about as much as DVDs did when they first launched, £22 a pop.

Selection will be limited at first as Sony is the only main backer.. personally I think it's stupid because anyone with half a brain can plug the DVD into their mac or PC.. rip it to mpeg and play it back on the PSP via SD card. and conserve the battery life because the disc drive isn't running constantly.. but whatever.

I am totally happy with standard DVDs, they play in PCs, macs, games consoles.. laptops and they are good enough quality for any sized TV, even HDTVs.

We don't need UMD, and we don't need Blu-Ray/HD-DVD and I will not be welcoming any of these technologies into my house because it's just profiteering from the film industry.. lets change the standard after everyone gets settled with DVD players and VHS players get dropped from high street retailers.

Want to know why we haven't heard pricing structures for Bluray? because it's so expensive they can't even estimate yet. Fuck that for a lark.

PSP is becoming more and more unnattractive even with the new £150 price point with no accesories.

"It's awful. Sales are near zilch. It's another Sony bomb -- like Blu-ray."

This i found quite a "hard" statement. i am not a fan of sony but totally writing off blu ray before the PS3 has even been released.

I'd imagine it was a mistake, they meant something like MiniDiscs. I doubt they'd write off an un-released format.

I'd imagine it was a mistake, they meant something like MiniDiscs. I doubt they'd write off an un-released format.

Or maybe they were talking about betamax?

Sony really are the champion of failed formats.

As said before, I'm not really surprised about this news.

The PSP just does not appeal to me, even though it looks better than a DS (which I'm more attracted to).

Matter of time about the Movies,pretty pointless though watching UMDs while traveling.UMDS are like half the store space for PSP's in my local stores

About as successful as the 64DD or the VirtualBoy eh?

Different kettle of fish, they're hardware. We're talking about Sony's failed formats, such as BetaMax, MiniDisc, AATRAC (thats pretty unsuccessful), UMDs going down the pan. Plus their DRM (think thats the acronymn) was pretty much bashed.