NEurope
Hellfire

IGN: Revolution Horsepower

Respected? not by me. lets face it this is un official, nintendo said that they might never reveal the specs. and lets face it Matt has had a few past indiscretions.

i am taking the side of the sceptic here and waiting for nintendo to officially reveal their specs.

I agree it's probaly best to wait untill we here from the big N, and they may never release it's specs. I can't rember them releasing info on the ds specs, but it didn't really matter, games like metroid and zelda look ace. Though I am not going to go completly egnore this, We all know the rev will be less powerfull.

I expect that the final specs will be 3 times more than the cubes, like ninty said themselfs, nintendo doesn't often lie about the consoles capabilities (unlike other companies do). Weather it will be 3 times better on paper, or 3 times better due to crafty overclocking and good programing.

Revolution Report: Is Hollywood based off Flipper, a current or upcoming PC architecture, or built from the ground up?

Swinimer: Hollywood is a specific design and is in no way reflective of PC technology. Even when the Flipper chips came out, people were asking that question: "Is this a spin-off of something done on the PC?", and the answer is no. It is designed the same as the Flipper was -- from the ground up for a specific console. Totally different sort of architecture from what you might find on the PC. Certainly, there are some underlying values?you know, how you get graphics on the screen?that's there. It's not, for example, like we took a PC design and said 'oh, you know what? If we tweak this and test this, it will work in a console.' [That's] not the case.

This quote is from Consumer Electronics Show 2006 where Revolution Europe interviewed John Swinimer, ATI's Public Relations Manager for Consumer Products.

http://www.revolutionreport.com/index.php?act=articles&code=read&id=254

The unfortunate thing is that the low-level of detail we're going into here will never be discussed by the overwhelming majority of people who will buy a next-gen console.

You go into GAME today, and there's an Xbox 360 hooked-up to a HDTV running Ghost Recon. And it looks incredible.

When Revolution comes out, if you go into GAME is that going to be hooked-up to a standard tv? Running stuff that does not look anywhere near as good as Ghost Recon or Oblivion? I would expect Nintendo sales-reps will want the Revolution to be situated as far away from the Xbox 360 as possible to avoid comparison of the most obvious detail - the visuals.

If people get the chance to use the controller maybe they'll buy into it. But if there's a demo pod it'll be at the back of the store and they will have to walk past the stunning looking 360 visuals to get there.

Sure graphics are an important aspect of buying a game but without a HD television set there will be no difference and you can nail me on that after E3 if you like!

Everyones said just about everything - I read a page or two. Ive nothing really to add apart from one question....

Is it too early for an April fools joke?

What in [insert your religious leader] name makes people read your posts and ignore mine... ::shrug:

He writes what he has to say twice in the same post. Maybe you should start doing that? :wink:

Everyones said just about everything - I read a page or two. Ive nothing really to add apart from one question....

Is it too early for an April fools joke?

Lol, maybe, but a better april fools joke would have been specs higher than that of the ps3, that would have caused a massive stir up.

But surly they could put the ram up to 512, how costly could that be?

The memory they are using is very very fast and thus rather expensive, so it could cost them very much. Then again, they might opt for some slower memory aswell.

A. Floorspace is not controller by Nintendo, it is completely at the manager's discretion.

B. As long as the price tag is on the Revolution and it can play new and old games it will sell better next to a 360 or PS3.

People will go.. hey look this is 5 consoles in one, Sonic.. Mario.. Zelda, this controller rocks. And look, it's half the price of an xbox 360.

Result? People wont care about graphics.. which is the aim of Nintendo's new system.

And if any honest sales rep would advise any potential 360 purchaser you'll need a HDTV to get the most out of it where as a Revolution you don't.

Stop being such graphics whores.. times have changed.

eredrend ni ramoec d3 rep phasicrp

Pre-rendered camera graphics in 3D?

I'm trying to work out what "phasicrp" is if it isn't a typo.

Big Tac Im sceptical about that anagram. can you please explain what it is supposed to mean and why you said that.

NINTENDO PLEASE RELEASE SOMETHING THE SPECULATION IS KILLING US

thats what I call a cryptic message

Whenever specs are talked about it always seems to split forums into 2 groups: those that value graphics over everything else and those value gameplay the most.

I'd have to say that the reason why they codenamed it Revolution is because it will be a revolution in gaming, not graphics. 2-3 times more powerful than the cube is fine for me. Looking at Twilight Princess, I don't see why games need to be any better looking than that because that's beautiful. Obviously if you can make something look better than that's a good thing but if it means making a console more expensive or spending less time on actual gameplay then I'd rather have a crap looking game that plays well than a beautiful game that plays like crap.

This article is the opinion of Greg Szemiot and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of CSE.

There was an announcement yesterday, the new Nintendo system is not up to par with the competitions. Everyone is yelling and people are getting pissed off, and I’m just relaxing by typing the some more storyline for a game I hope to make.

Fast forward five years to today, and once again, yesterday, IGN uncovered new specs for the new Nintendo system, Revolution. Once again, I’m working on that game (albeit an extremely advanced phase compare to a simple storyline). It strikes me how every few years we need to be reminded about games, why they are our passion, why we stay up late playing the latest and the greatest ones.

I will say that I love a good peep show, I like good graphics, we all do, we like to see beautiful things, things that take our breath away. Those moments will still exist, but now we’re going to get new moments, where parts of our brain scream “That was amazing!†And you know what’s going to trigger that? It’s not going to be the graphics on your screen, it’s going to be your connection to the games characters and how you interact with them. It’s going to be swinging your sword from left to right to block an enemy weapon. It’s going to be shining the flashlight around like you are really there, and jumping when something lunges at you from the shadows. It’s going to be a fast paced action sequence that has you sitting on the edge of your seat, your hands clammy from the tension, and you pay attention to every little detail you see on the screen, and hear from the speakers, in an attempt to survive this battle. And it’s not going to come from moving a little stick on a hunk of plastic, that’s just one more thing between you and enjoying your games. It’s going to be realistic motions and deep gameplay.

One of the things we say at CSE is that normal is boring, it’s something everyone has done, something everyone has seen, and something everyone has experienced. If it has a new coat of glossy paint or not isn’t the point. What matters is that you feel connected to a game like you never have before. You can’t wait to get back to it, you have to play it, not because you want to see the next cutscene, not because you want to go blow heads off, you’re going to come back to it because you want that experience. You want to see and hear things like you never have before, you want to feel things like you never have before. Normal consoles aren’t going to do that, neither are normal developers.

However, the Revolution isn’t normal. Nintendo isn’t normal. CSE, Nibris, and Lifespark, they aren’t normal either, they exist to bring a passion to life. You guys, the ones who come here and read the news, waiting for the next hint of Zelda, the next chance to explore Hyrule, you’re not normal. Those of you who love Mario and Peach, who can say ‘yoshi!’ in perfect pitch and tempo, you’re not normal either. How about your family, some of them aren’t gamers, they aren’t normal to the industry, they are outsiders. Many of us are here because we’re sick of normality, and we dare to yell and pitch a fit when someone doesn’t follow the status quo. Go beyond normal, and see the world outside what you’ve known before. We don’t need the best graphics here, but it’ll be enough for me to say it will realize my dream with getting Orb to you guys the way I see it in my mind. The guys at Retro aren’t concerned, nor Pandemic, or Ubisoft. Gameplay is more than graphics and technology, it’s new experiences, new adventures, and new feelings, all combined with just enough familiarity to really let you know what’s missing from the normal games.

If developers like Retro,Square and Ubisoft aren't complaining and if the COD rumour is true then Im sure the Revolution will perform. im not going to pretend I know that much about clock speed and such. but

That PPC core in the Revolution definately overpowers an XBox P3. The comparision is not even close. As for the GPU, I am no expert there, but as a PPC developer, I know how powerful generic PPC cores are, and this is highly-optomised. Be prepared to be surprised when the Revolution comes out.

Going by what many of you has said this is true. Nintendo would never put out a underpowered machine and many have already said new techniques are being used for the Revolution. Remember there is still a mind blowing secret that we don't know yet.

I do thing that Nintendo need to release something soon. The silence has gone beyond extreme hype and into insanity.

I thought that the 360 was running 3 G5 PPC cores from IBM (not Pentium 3s), and part of the reason why Apple shifted from using the IBM processors is because their operation is relatively small.. obviously the consoles are using the processors and will sell more than macs. Remember at E3 they rendered stuff running on G5 PowerMacs?

Which means Apple will not have the supply from IBM that they can get from Intel who has a bigger operation than IBM and probably AMD too.. hence the switch for the moment.

The unfortunate thing is that the low-level of detail we're going into here will never be discussed by the overwhelming majority of people who will buy a next-gen console.

You go into GAME today, and there's an Xbox 360 hooked-up to a HDTV running Ghost Recon. And it looks incredible.

When Revolution comes out, if you go into GAME is that going to be hooked-up to a standard tv? Running stuff that does not look anywhere near as good as Ghost Recon or Oblivion? I would expect Nintendo sales-reps will want the Revolution to be situated as far away from the Xbox 360 as possible to avoid comparison of the most obvious detail - the visuals.

If people get the chance to use the controller maybe they'll buy into it. But if there's a demo pod it'll be at the back of the store and they will have to walk past the stunning looking 360 visuals to get there.

Conversely my Gamestaton has a 360 pod running on a normal TV playing PGR3, looks bland and drab and all the textures are blurry. Kameo and Call of Duty 2 both fair better but still look like last generation games.

Revolution games will look nicer and frankly I don't think the average consumer is going to go "OMFG the graphics are poo" if they get their hands on the controller - Imagine they pick up the 360 pad and play Call of Duty with the pad, standard dual analogue set-up, then they go over and pick up the Freehand controller and stand pointing the controller at what they want to shoot and getting really into it. I think then it will be the 360 version that seems under-par in comparison.

Consumers won't be put off having a go on the demo pod just because the graphics aren't as impressive, the way it works is that people see a games console in the shop and have a go regardless.

Stop being such graphics whores.. times have changed.

A Revolution with better graphics is a better Revolution, right?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still not doubting the Revolution but Nintendo keeps on dissappointing me AND putting itself in a bad position.

I was expecting some visual improvement over the GameCube, something totally doable for Nintendo. From these specs however, nothing seems like it that you can take a GameCube screenshot and a Revolution screenshot and then tell the difference. The specs are that bad. Power times one and a half does not mean graphics times one and a half. It means graphics + 20% if we're lucky.

who remembers stage debut

now what was this big secret??

no it ISNT big...

and plus who needs great graphics on the rev when u can play doom 3 on ultra settings at more than 60fps on a nice widescreen monitor

*goes to labour work

Aren't you overreacting DCK? First of all saying that this won't improve much over GC is ridiculous to say the least. Do you realise what GC achieved with those specs? With somewhat double the power they can reach SD graphics not too different from XBOX360. Besides, Nintendo stated over and over again: it's a cheap, quiet and affordable console, what the hell did you expect. Magic? The GC architecture is a VERY balanced and powerful one and it can do marvels, I have no doubts this can do the same.

Whenever specs are talked about it always seems to split forums into 2 groups: those that value graphics over everything else and those value gameplay the most.

I don't think that it is as black and white as that, certainly not for me at least. People may [wrongly] surmise from my posts in this thread that I am a graphics whore.

Let's take Resident Evil 4 on the GCN. The gameplay is astonishing and the visuals are breathtaking but I didn't appreciate quite how much those visuals contributed to the game experience till I played it on a mates PS2.

This was on a massive Sony Bravia HDTV. The first thing that was obvious (after I'd stopped laughing that the cut-scenes were ripped straight from the Cube version) was the lack of visual polish. Then add to that what I assume are limitations of an LCD tv - fuzzy image, blurring, poor contrast ratios and unbelieveable ghosting. And then for good measure there's the clumsy way the game plays on the PS2 controller. This was not the RE4 I had raved about and harangued him for months into buying. It was a mere shadow of its former self.

My concern, especially with ports from PS3/360, is that Revolution has a great deal of potential to produce the same results. Reading these specs, taking onboard everything people have said, it is still difficult not to be disappointed.

Graphics aren't everything, but they can make a good experience into an amazing one. Ideally you need graphics and gameplay - once you start to make sacrifices the whole experience suffers.

May 9th can't come soon enough.

Revolution Report: Is Hollywood based off Flipper, a current or upcoming PC architecture, or built from the ground up?

Swinimer: Hollywood is a specific design and is in no way reflective of PC technology. Even when the Flipper chips came out, people were asking that question: "Is this a spin-off of something done on the PC?", and the answer is no. It is designed the same as the Flipper was -- from the ground up for a specific console. Totally different sort of architecture from what you might find on the PC. Certainly, there are some underlying values?you know, how you get graphics on the screen?that's there. It's not, for example, like we took a PC design and said 'oh, you know what? If we tweak this and test this, it will work in a console.' [That's] not the case.

This quote is from Consumer Electronics Show 2006 where Revolution Europe interviewed John Swinimer, ATI's Public Relations Manager for Consumer Products.

http://www.revolutionreport.com/index.php?act=articles&code=read&id=254

Thankyou!!!! :D

It's about time somebody posted something sensible. Architecture is more important than specs by a long way. Both Sony and M$ have made machines which will never use all of their potential.

At Patch: Sorry mate, quoted the wrong person... I'll edit it.

Aren't you overreacting DCK? First of all saying that this won't improve much over GC is ridiculous to say the least. Do you realise what GC achieved with those specs? With somewhat double the power they can reach SD graphics not too different from XBOX360. Besides, Nintendo stated over and over again: it's a cheap, quiet and affordable console, what the hell did you expect. Magic? The GC architecture is a VERY balanced and powerful one and it can do marvels, I have no doubts this can do the same.

No - it appears some here expect some magic fairy to tremendously update the Revolution graphics. There is no double power - look at the specs, it's only a factor 1,5. A factor 1,5 in raw power means absolutely bullocks in what you see on screen - the Cube was supposed to be more than 1,5 more powerful than the PS2 and, though the difference is there, the games on the systems look alike.

I've been saying this for months, stupid IGN who called Revolution a souped up Xbox when in fact it outperforms it... I'll even say this one thing once again... double the CPU power from GC means it'll easily outperform a Xbox 360 CPU on single core, and all the games till now are only using that core...

Thus graphics on-par than Xbox 360's launch (and even better, since the console lacks HD support) are easy to be accomplished, it all depends from the GPU.

the games on the systems look alike.

:rolleyes: Schpickles is the most qualified person here to talk about this, if you don't believe him, it's useless to argue with you about this.

I'm saying that a difference PS2 <> Cube between Rev and Cube is not good enough for me, and that's what it's looking like. Double the power is out of the question with these numbers, even if they make the CPU a G5.

I just hope they will put extra shaders on the GPU. It needs them so badly.