NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
system_error

No World Wide Revolution!

Nintendo president Iwata confirmed to Bloomberg that he has no plans for a world wide launch of the Nintendo Revolution. Furthermore Iwata believes that this is not neccessary just because MS did and Sony plans to do it.

I just wonder because a few months back again Iwata (or Miyamoto) said that they want a very close launch - even closer than with the DS. For me this sounds like the ideal case would be a worldwide launch within a week or something. I guess time and opinions change ...

link to source?

I hope this isn't true, I'd hate having to wait an extra month or two.... unless we're getting it first :P doubtful though

I can't find the original article from Bloomberg - it is on the german site Gamefront.de.

Well I truly doubt that Europe gets the Revolution before EITHER Japan or USA.

It'd be painful having to wait long if Japan and America get the Rev a fair while before us!

The DS launch that hurt! haha, I wouldn't want to be waiting until March again until a Euro release! OUCH!

Nintendos credibility would seriously be damaged if the EU launch is indeed sometime 2007. They said it is 2006 everywhere so it shall be 2006.

Nintendos credibility would seriously be damaged if the EU launch is indeed sometime 2007. They said it is 2006 everywhere so it shall be 2006.

Well, I don't see a problem if it's true. Microsoft releasing the 360 worldwide took some serious cash, and I'd rather wait a little bit longer than see money wasted on an unneccessary venture. MS even stated at the time that they wish they'd not done it. As for Sony, it looks like the PS3 is going to be released in 2007 so what's the hey-ho? Plus, I've got 4 tonne of Gamecube stuff to play through yet! I've only just beaten Mario Sunshine with 120 stars ffs!!!

maybe they are planning on launching earlier in one territory.

or perhaps looking at the DS lite they have decided it would be a good idea to release in Japan, and once demand dips launch in America and Europe.

Totally 100% agree!

If Nintendo released the Revolution in 2007 in Europe then i will be VERY annoyed. They CANNOT repeat what they have done with the Gamecube in Europe! They can kiss victory away here as well!

They would be totally stupid to let the Xbox 360 have over a year of release and the PS3 have a good head-start as well.

This blog is aload of rubbish, 100% false. It wouldn't suprise me that we see the Revolution first in Europe or at least a couple of weeks after USA.

Definatelty September-December period.

Surely Nintendo wouldn't be stupid enough to make the same mistakes again?......:hmm:

It must be here worldwide before the end of the year. Japan and USA is guaranteed, but Europe had better not be left out.

2006 is guaranteed, Iwata, Reggie and Nintendo of Europe sent out a little marketing sheet to people in the press.

Worldwide launch by definition means all within a few days.. if not on the same working day.

Nintendo want to do it in 2 months, which I think is both feasible due to the simpler nature and cost of the hardware.. but also fair on consumers *points to Sony's 6 month PSP delay in Europe with no price reduction or good games*

2 month launch window doesn't technically count as a worldwide launch.. and I think this is just merely press dodging from an ass of a reporter who probably doesn't know what he or she is talking about.. Iwata simply dodged the qustion and it's been misinterpretted.

I have faith in Nintendo that they will not meet demand in any of the 3 major regions, but I am confident anyone with some vague motivation will be able to secure one on launch in 2006.

This thread is a whole lot of fuss over nothing..

well if it does turn out that europe gets left behind again i wouldn't be surprised. they could have released the DS lite on a worldwide launch to test out how it would do but they didn't. so i wont be expecting to see a rev in europe before 2007.

2 month launch window doesn't technically count as a worldwide launch..

I was thinking that too, besides Jim Merrick said something about Revo released within 14 weeks worldwide and Merrick talked quite a bit too much for Nintendo's liking, so I think it will be something like that.

Mike you have no idea how popular the DS lite is in Japan.. many stores only got 4 systems, the larger ones only got 40 (source: Kotaku's coverage Brian Ashcraft) people were queuing in excress of 20 hours to get one.

If they had done a worldwide DS launch they would have overworked staff, rushed them.. the quality of the systems would have suffered (remember that iPod nano scratch case) and they would have never met demand.

The DS in Japan is more popular than the xbox 360 launch was in both Europe and America put together.. there would have been riots if they didn't ship every DS lite to a Japanese retail store!

So if you are judging Nintendo's reputation on that one case I think you are strongly deluded.. they can't meet demands as it is, and probably wont for 4 months which is when we'll see the DS lite in America.. then probably in Europe a month or two after that.

Besides.. I don't remember Nintendo promising a DS lite worldwide launch, so I would trust Nintendo to make 2006 like they say.

Konfucius I think the extra few weeks Merrick spoke of was to account for the smaller territories like Australia too, that's a true 'worldwide' launch I guess, but I think they still plan to hit the big three in 2 months.

Worldwide launches never work, at least everyone is going to get a solid amount of units. Too bad we're undoubtedly going to have to wait fucking ages...

It could be this statement that confused some:

Furthermore, in regards to launch schedule, Iwata told the Taipei Times that he doesn't "think it's necessary to do the simultaneous worldwide launch [with Revolution] simply because others are doing this." His statement comes in response to both Sony and Microsoft who attempted - or in Sony's case, will be attempting - a simultaneous global launch with their respective next-generation consoles.

From http://www.revolutionreport.com

2006 is guaranteed, Iwata, Reggie and Nintendo of Europe sent out a little marketing sheet to people in the press.

Since when has any date given by Nintendo been 'guaranteed'? Just becuse they've said it'll come out everywhere in 2006, it doesn't mean it will. I certainly hope it will, though..

Since when has any date given by Nintendo been 'guaranteed'? Just becuse they've said it'll come out everywhere in 2006, it doesn't mean it will. I certainly hope it will, though..

Exactly. I remember Mario 128 for the Gamecube, Zelda: TP in fall 2006 and no I don't have either of those games. Miyamoto said he did not know ... of course he did not why should the lead designer and right hand of Iwata know if a game will be delayed...

MS launched world wide with a time frame of 1-2 months and Iwata said they don't want to do this even though as stated before that was their plan for the first time.

I never expected that Europe gets the Revolution before US/JAP and I also never thought that world wide means within a day every country has an ample supply of consoles but why fall back into the old model.

I predict it will be Japan - USA - Europe whereas the difference will be at least 2-4 months between every launch. Look how long it takes to "translate" a game for the EU market that doesn't show too much interest in Europe at all. I know that we got the Minish Cap early but thats about it. We (Europe) are not the stepchild of Nintendo we are merely a complete stranger as of now.

Furthermore, in regards to launch schedule, Iwata told the Taipei Times that he doesn't "think it's necessary to do the simultaneous worldwide launch [with Revolution] simply because others are doing this."

so rev will be launched worldwide but it wont be in response to MS or Sony.

that is the way i read it.

sounds like a blank check for a delay to me. I wouldnt be surpised if it launches a few days after the PS3.

I remember the GC was originally scheduled to release a few days before the Xbox, then at the last minute they decided to release it 3 days after the Xbox. Maybe they want it to be a few days 'newer' than the PS3. Hope im wrong though

Someone asked for a link?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15659

Anyway, he was very careful with his words. He did not say they wouldn't do a global. He said they wouldn't do it just because the others did.

All he's trying to do is show that Nintendo are they masters of their own destiny. If they launch globally it's because they choose to and not because the others have.

It's a testament really to how Microsoft have shaken things up. Microsoft have fore-shortened the current generation life-span, they've broken the "rules" on a staggered launch. They're calling the tune in the next generation. Sony's hasty announcements last week were their thinly disguised attempt at catch-up.

FWIW, it think anything other than a global launch is a mistake. It would make them look old-fashioned. They'd get away with it in Japan but nowhere else.

The Nintendo of Europe site says 2006 so until it changes Its coming this year. This arcticle means nothig there is a good chance that we will se Rev this year.

i think it has been blown out of proportion. we will see a revolution in june 06. if not the console then a political movement.

I saw this yesterday and was a tad worried, but they've said before the release would be nearly simultaneous with a difference of 14 weeks, so I'm not too worried.

There's several ways you can look at it:

1) Nintendo don't launch worldwide and Europe and Australia are pushed to 2007

2) Nintendo do launch worldwide but they only do it because they can and not because Sony and Microsofts plans made them do it.

3) They will launch closely after eachother though not on the exact same day

Because he says there's no plans for a 'worldwide launch' it makes me think it's option one though. In that case my series of Nintendo dissappointments is piling up to way above healthy.

I agree with mike-zim, if you read his exact words, it makes it sound as if he's saying - if they do launch worldwide it will be because they think its the right thing to do. I do agree that it needs to happen though, otherwise its just like turning up to a party too late and everyones asleep.

Sign in to follow this