NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Eddage

Computer Is Seriously Messed Up!

I seriously need some help with my computer - it won't switch on!

About a week and a half ago I went to turn my computer on, however it never got going and just kept restarting every second or two! At first I thought it might have been to do with the power supply and so I bought a new one slapped it in but the same thing keeps happening! :cry:

I'm hoping that one of you guys may have some sort of idea as to what may be causing the never-ending restarts and that it'll be a simple case of replacing something (dunno, maybe the hd's corrupted or something?!) as I really can't afford to buy a new computer since I don't have a job, and spent £150 odd on a new graphics card just before Christmas!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Right A Couple Of things

1. Have you tried resarting the computer manually Over and Over again ? If not Try it

2. What Graphics Card you got?

3.your New Graphics Card Might of got to hot and Broke

4.Is you CPU what you have got Enough TO stay in line with your new graphics card E.G you cant have a Voodo 3 Graphics card with a AMD4800+ So they need to be evenally Mached

Reply Back

Ninendofan 64

I figured it might have been something to do with the graphics card being too powerfull or something at first and so I put my old one back in and the same thing happens so I've ruled that out of the equation, I've also tried rstarting it many a time but the same thing happens - it just restarts on it's own every second or two!

Try unplugging and reseating every component in your PC, from memory to graphics card... make sure you give everything a good push.

That happened to me aswell. First time, it booted fine the next day, but then the problem started again about a week after. It was still under insurance so I got it replaced. btw mine is a Shuttle XPC (micro-pc)

Does it get to the POST screen? Do you hear any beeps?

No, it literally restarts continuously, it doesn't get anywhere!

No, it literally restarts continuously, it doesn't get anywhere!

Either powersupply or fan. Simple as I rekon.

If i was you i would go out and buy one of these....

sledgehammer.jpg

Ok so i have a short fuse!

I second Colins comment that its most likely the powersupply or fan.

Leave for about a day and try it again - if your fan has failed, (which may happen occasionally) your processor could be pretty badly overheated, and you need to let it cool for several hours before trying again.

Either powersupply or fan. Simple as I rekon.

Well like I said, I've replaced the power supply and the fan still works when it is continuously restarting!

Is the CPU seated correctly? Heatsink attached properly? Fan spinning up? All power cables pushed in? If those are all okay, it may be a motherboard problem or something. I'm really running out of ideas..

When I turn it on everything that should spin does, everything is seated correctly all the power cables are pushed in properly, etc.

With the new power supply it sounds like it's going to do something and I don't think it's continuously restarting, although after a while it starts to make some clicking noises and then it just keeps doing that and nothing comes up on the monitor

I think I may know what the problem is, after looking in my motherboard manuel I came across SB_PWR LED description.

When lit, the green LED (SB_PWR) indicates the system in ON, in aleep mode, or in soft-off mode, a reminder that you should shut down the system and unplug the power cable before removing or plugging in any moterboard component.

The problem is, the buttons on the front of the computer (reset and power) no longer seem to be responding, as a result I don't seem to be able to turn it off properly or reset it (when I just take the power cord out and out it back in it goes straight into the low power mode). The LED lights on the front also don't seem to be lighting up any more.

I've looked at the motherboard manuel and checked the 'System panel connector (20-pin PANEL 1)' and that is all pluged in correctly, although the Power LED 3-1 connector is split (it still plugs in though).

The only thing I can think is that these cables have become damaged and are no longer working (perhaps at the other end - where I can't get to them!

Is there any other way I can restart the system, or get it out of this low power mode?

When PC is off but PSU on, try touching the two power button pins with a screwdriver or some other metal object, which acts the same was as an on button. Or when the PC is on try doing the same with the reset button's pins. The LED lights don't actually matter, they don't need to be connected for the PC to work.

I've got no idea then either if it's not the PSU or the fan.

And Andrew is right about the lights, they don't need to be on at all.........but I'd suppose they would help ya to know if your comps functioning properly.

I smacked my families computer the otherday and since then the lights haven't been working...........I'm in no rush to fix it though.

Well If the Graphics Card is Over Powering the CPU then i would advise getting a CPU Try Turning the fans up If its OVERCLOCKED Put the overclocks bk to the Orignal Settings If that doesnt work Smash it with anything u want Make sure It Suffers ;)

Nintendofan64

With the new power supply it sounds like it's going to do something and I don't think it's continuously restarting, although after a while it starts to make some clicking noises and then it just keeps doing that and nothing comes up on the monitor

Does the clicks come from the power supply? Or is it just your monitor that clicks on and then to sleep mode?

And post some more specifics about your system, name&model of the motherboard, amount of ram, the wattage of the psu, cpu, graphics card and any pci card that you have.

Is it possible the CPU may be damaged or something, say, due to overheating?

try it in a differant plug socket because the same thing happened to me and it turned out to be the plug socket which was broke. We got it fixed and its working fine now.

Sign in to follow this