NEurope
Colin

Laptop processor/HD temperatures

Right, I've got a Pentium 4 based laptop, so it's quite prone to being very hot. But yesterday I cleaned out the fans/vents with compressed air, and now it seems like the laptops big fan isn't working.

Current average temperatures are sitting at 74' for the processor, and 44' for the HD. Are these temps far too hot, or am I just worrying?

It's also shut itself down twice since I cleaned the fans/vents by overheating I believe.

Any ideas of how I can check if the laptops cooling fan isn't buggered, as the fan underneath hasn't turned on once since I did the clean out?

For an old amd athlon XP with a crappy fan, that cpu temp would be tolerable. But for a laptop P4? You're right there's something wrong with the fan. Maybe the air pressure got some of the cables off the connectors? Can you open the laptop and see?

The HDD is not too warm, but that CPU temperature is far too toasty ^_^

Typical P4 huh! And that's the temp of it when its clocked to level2 out of 4.

Maybe the air pressure got some of the cables off the connectors? Can you open the laptop and see?

That's what I'm thinking has happened. But with my laptop, I'll have to undo the whole thing and put it into bits.

Anyone got any idea how long typically it would take to put a laptop in bits, as I may attempt this evening?

Cheers for the replies aswell

If it's easy to open up (usually aren't...) I'd say 30 min. But do take some 2 or so hours just in case.

For an old amd athlon XP with a crappy fan, that cpu temp would be tolerable. But for a laptop P4? You're right there's something wrong with the fan. Maybe the air pressure got some of the cables off the connectors? Can you open the laptop and see?

Tolerable? 74°c is too hot. :(

Tolerable? 74°c is too hot. :(

Yes but I remember reading about the athlon xp to be rated for max 80'C. I could be wrong though...

Athlons can handle high temps quite well tbh, but unlike P4's they don't cut out if the temp gets too high (e.g. if the heatsink fell off an athlon would fry).

As for HDD temps, below 40c is good for desktops, but they should run fine at around 44c. Laptop HDD's are low rpm though, so theoretically they should run cooler. Best thing to do might be to get a notebook cooler, as it'll keep your knees from being toasted too. ;-)

Yes but I remember reading about the athlon xp to be rated for max 80'C. I could be wrong though...

I actually think it's higher than that, but that doesn't mean jack shit. You don't want to be getting anywhere near the rated limits of a processor.

This is such a mission.......

I've just found out that one of the LCD metal hinges was broke aswell (unless I broke it while opening it.

I'm taking some images on my phone while doing it, so I'll upload at somepoint.

Not totally finished yet, as having trouble removing a few things.

This is the guide I'm following

Edit - Just got to the intake fan/main fan, and its clogged with dust. I'm guessing I clogged it up before by moving the dust with the compressed air.

----------------------------------

Next Post

DSC00260.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

Final image shows what actually came out of that single fan, and that was what was clogging the fan and not letting it rotate and move.

cpu_temp.gif

And there's my cpu and HD temperatures now.

Well impressed that I managed to do this myself without fucking my laptop. Everything was in pieces, and there were times that I thought I'd screwed something up.

I fixed the metal hinge with super glue aswell, so it should now hold. I also fired up CS Source and played that for a while, and temp didn't even go above 50'.

Just saved myself alot of money, as I was going to send it off to get repaired as my warrenty ended a few months back.................

PS........keep your fans clean, and never use your laptop on your bed! :wink:

My brothers laptop got so hot that it actually started melting the plastic, there was something wrong with the harddrive because when we put in another one it worked fine. He bought a cheap USB cooler that sits underneath it from eBay.

Average/good temps?

CPU below 65°c..

HDD below 50°c..

Mostly you want to be looking at around 35-50°c for CPU and 30-45°c for the HDD.

For reference, mine currently:

CPU: 41°c

Northbridge: 33°c

PWM (Power regulation): 43°c

HDD: 41°c

Bear in mind the room temperature of course has a direct effect (har, har, no shit!) so really you want to measure the temperatures in difference from ambient.

My room temperature is currently 28.6°c which most people would find uncomfortably hot :v: