NEurope
monkeyDluffy

copying the revmote?

is it just me or is at a bit strange that sony are holding back on revealing their new ps3 controller! If its just a normal controller why the wait till e3? Could it be that the revmote is being copied? I thought nintendo were just being a bit paranoid about it being copied but this makes me think they were right!

Having said that the revmote is a little too strange for sony I would have thought, who knows?!:hmm:

I thought Sony confirmed that that banana thing was its final controller?

Depending on the success of the Revolution this was bound to happen anyway, both Sony and Microsoft now have patents for a FHC of their own.

But this always happens, i think Nintendo would have been much better if they didnt reveal the Revolutions controller last year, they should have gone for a total E3 2006 blowout.

The PS3 remote will be a boomerang shape but specific details of it are unknown I willing to bet my left nut that there could be some kind of motion sensoring thing in it.

http://news.spong.com/article/9806

Good news for anyone wanting to buy a PlayStation 3 when it debuts this winter today as SCE confirms that the massively unpopular boomerang controller shown at last year's E3 is not the final design that will launch alongside the console.

The change was confirmed today at the Game Developers Conference in San Jose, with keynote man Phil Harrison commenting to us that the design has, thankfully, been scrapped. A new, unspecified design is underway, with PlayStation executives slated to unveil the new pad at E3 in May of this year.

Nintendos FHC cant be copied now, they simply dont have time to produce it. And even if they did do it in the future, the Revolution has been designed especially for it meaning it will always be the leader.

from an anti copy p.o.v, I think Nintendo released info too quickly.

from a "make people actually buy it" p.o.v, I think they released info at just about the right time.

I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of the FHC now, so in my head I am prepped for a early adopter attitude. initial price point, and the life span of my GC (which is currently slightly disabled) will be the decider for me.

First game I'll play on my revolution? if I were buying one today, it would be viewtiful joe.

Just a quickie, Nintendo brought the analogue stick to consoles, the rumble pack and various other innovations, so does that mean Nintendo gets royalties when other companies use their patents?

No. They don't because sony edited the technology to do the same thing.

With the Revmote I'm sure that the nintendo have made the technology Proprietary but it does not stop sony from copying the cencept and using different technology to achive similer functionality. Sony have had enough time to edit the PS3 controller.

My opinion is that some kind of motion sesoring technology will be in the PS3 controller but it will not be free hand there for not as good as rev.

You can't patent the concept itself just the technology used to make it with. The rumble used in the DualShock is quite different to the one used in GCN pad for instance. But as you can see in Sony's case they kinda ignore patents and copyright, just like most of their customers!

I dont think the PS3 will have sensoring, i really dont think they've had time to make such a change. Who knows, it sucks if they have.

Is anyone else getting annoyed by the fact that lotsof developers are totally discounting the possibility of porting their games to the Rev solely due to the pad. Have these folk never heard of the controller shell?

Is anyone else getting annoyed by the fact that lotsof developers are totally discounting the possibility of porting their games to the Rev solely due to the pad. Have these folk never heard of the controller shell?

I think that's mainly due to the hardware. Even though we haven't been given any solid numbers, the word on the street is that the revolution will, apparantly, be 2-3 times the power of the gamecube.

Quite frankly, i didn't expect the next nintendo console to be solely about graphics. I expected innovation, and it looks like i'm going to get that. The DS and Revolution are a seperate society to the other consoles out there.

We may not get (for example) Resident Evil5. However, we may get an entirely new resident evil that utilises the Revo's features. Can't ask for fairer than that!

I don't think it'll be copied this generation. It's not even proven to be successful yet. Sure they're probably looking into it but they'll probably watch how it works for Nintendo first.

The problem is that the shell has not been unveiled yet and neither has the specification, in fact not mnay third party games have been announced.

Reason? Nintendo and third parties are waiting until E3 to tell all.

Have hope most developers have not discounted the possibilitie of ports to Rev, They just have not announced them.

I've actually read more than one developer discounting ports totally because of the controller though. Not hardware, just the controller. Nintendo need to make them aware that the shell exists, not to mention a few people on this forum as I remember :)

if sony copy the revmote i will personally go into every game store and torch em. i will be so pissed off.

EDIT:

also i think it is too late for a copy. developers are so far into development for release titles it would be impossible to have these games modified in time for a november release.

Or maybe the excuse about the controller not being compatible with their game is just a diplomatic alternative to saying 'We don't think it will sell well on Revolution'.

Weird to see how many expect Sony to copy the FHC out of sheer evilness <_<

Seriously, the FHC doesn't fit in Sony's strategy, Sony's audience or Sony's ideas at all. They won't copy it because they don't think it works well and will only get their mind changed by good Revolution sales.

Weird to see how many expect Sony to copy the FHC out of sheer evilness <_<

Seriously, the FHC doesn't fit in Sony's strategy, Sony's audience or Sony's ideas at all. They won't copy it because they don't think it works well and will only get their mind changed by good Revolution sales.

I was thinking that as well. Sony would probably see it as more of a novelty thing, rather than innovation.

was just thinking and if they did copy it wouldn't it sort of kill the need for the eyetoy, which sony have said will be used alot on PS3.

Nintendo said in this GDC that the revmote is rather expensive to produce. PS3 should ALREADY have problems of keeping the cost down.

There are 2 scenarios - One, Sony copies the rev stick and make it too expensive for average world population. Two, Sony copies the rev stick and makes the package cheap, resulting in a massive financial hit.

Or, sony won't copy it just yet. All lose-lose situation at any rate.

The delay for the PS3 might not be because of blu ray at all,could be them editing the pad and a problem has occured with blu ray,easy to lie

Yeah, that's a possibility. Or just changing the infrastructure a bit to accomodate for the future addition of PS3-stick. If PS3 itself is "ready" for such extension, sony can wait a year or so before releasing such add-on.