NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dabookerman

3rd Year Uni work placement?

Right im doing multimedia tech and apps, and on the first year. I need to start looking for work placement, but dont know where to look, the idea of working for a games company is nice but unlikely. maybe something on a film set perhaps. i have no idea, can u guys help me?

Sounds like you need to define abit more on what you want to get into first, as you seem unsure.

Once you've done that, get a list of as many companies as possible (be prepared for most being rejections than offers), and post out CV's with accompaning letters.

well thats the thing, anything involved in design, film or games would be nice. im just unsure of where to start, and also wondering if anyone else has done any work placements, its a whole year, so i dont wanna go to a crap place serving coffee

I'm on a placement right now. Have been here since last may and will be staying until September. It's not 100% related to my course. My course is Computing and IT and I am doing IT support here, but its pretty close. Loving it on placement, earning money and having something regular, no coursework and all that stuff, its great.

Not looking forward to having to give it all up and head back to the student life :(

can't you get some ideas from your univserity? I mean, they're the ones telling you to go on a placement so surely they can help you out, or at least give you some advice.

can't you get some ideas from your univserity? I mean, they're the ones telling you to go on a placement so surely they can help you out, or at least give you some advice.

That's what I would have thought aswell. Usually the university itself would have industry contacts to outsource any students who want to take that work placement option in the third year. Maybe it depends on the uni, but it's a known fact they should be helping in someway or another.

If you're qualified (nearly, anyway) talk to the many games recruitment companies.. they'll take you seriously if you have a proper degree.

There is one based in Cowdray Avenue Colchester, check them out.. they have good contacts.

Most stuff is in London I found though.

Might be worth giving Schpickles a PM, or Er-No (he works at the BBC I think), no harm in asking.

im at loughborough uni studying maths in my first year and im doing a placement too in my 3rd year, and i dont want to end up in a bank :P but probobly will. my department has a huge list of contacts though so im not too worried :)

I've now done two work placements for my university, both were around 9 weeks.

It seems a long way off that you will be starting your placement. I would assume your uni will have some office to help arrange placement. At my uni it's the E.P.O (Employer Partnership Office). You can see what your uni has to offer, try get some advise from them. If that's no use you're probably lucking at personal contacts or luck.

Have you thought about where you want to go, before you decide on what you want to do?

I mean, if you want to go abroad, you'll be looking at different companies to if you want to stay in this country...

Sign in to follow this