NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fuzpoy

TV Tuner

I'm going to uni very soon and will take my comp but if i install a TV tuner card into my pc would i need to get a tv lience. As i would need a tv lience if i was taking a tv.

cheers

If you're having the PC in your own room then yes you will.

You're only covered by your parents TV licence if you have a TV that runs off it's own internal batteries.

I've done the same thing as you and I've needed one.

So in short - Yes.

Although surely it's much easier to hide it... ;)

Its impossible to hide anything that can receive analogue or digital TV.

These days the TV Licensing Authority has a list of everybody that DOES NOT have a up to date license. This is any maned premise. A Uni Dorm is one of the first things on the list. They then go and send out cars to key points within a few miles of known areas without TV licenses, these cars are fitted with transponders - which can detect Analogue and Digital tuners. They can then home closer and closer to the source - until they reach an estate. They can then find out exactly where the tuner is located. And seriously these people have heard every trick in the book. Nobody can get away without a license, and the penality is huge. We are talking thousands depending on your personal status, compared to a hundred for a license.

You will get caught, and its really not worth it.

I VERY much doubt they can detect a TV card.

They can Sir. My ol' man is a member of the Institution and he was invited to a seminer last Christmas and he took me along. They showed the audience the new snooper they use and Sir its technologically awesome. It doesnt detect anything on the Tube side - it actually detects the analogue tuner, the part thats present in anything picking up a signel on VHF or UHF between 200Mhz to 1Ghz. This also includes little handheld TV's.

The TV's aren't police- they can't just call in to your house. You can refuse entry. They can get a warrant but you could chuck your telly in someone else's room.

Not that I am advocating non-payment of licence fees, having paid for my licence every year I was at uni.

The van detector things can't be used in court and they can't get search warrants - all you have to do is keep televisions away from view at windows and don't let them into your home. They just try to intimidate people. Fight the power kids!

Or you could just have a tv card and a portable tv next to it. Would they not just confuse your TV card's signal with the portable tvs (which doesnt need a licence..)?

Some chap at my Uni said they are told when an inspection is going to take place three days in advance, so he adviced us to get it online the day we are warned. But still it's not worth the risk really.

Sign in to follow this