NEurope
dabookerman

The famous image archive (56k blah)

Really awesome thread; great to see some of these pictures. However, if possible, I think it would be nice if the pictures posted could at least have a comment with them to say what's happening in the pic or something. Cause not everyone (with that I mean myself) always knows what happened or who is who, you know? Yeah.

And right now I can't think of any pics to post. The one with the girl on the National Geographic cover though, she was a girl living in a refugee camp in some country (I'm thinking Afghanistan but I'm probably wrong). Saw a documentary about how they went looking for her again after years and they found her, but she had completely changed, even her eye color. Great pic though.

Laika_first_living_being_in_space.jpg

Laika, the first living creature to enter the orbit. Launched into space on Sputnik 2 on November 3,1957. Died only a few hours after launch from stress and overheating, though this was not made public until decades after the flight.

The forgotten war- Korea 1950-1953.

2.jpg

1.jpg

6.jpg

That last picture is the signing of the truce in 1953, both the Allies and N. Korean & Chinese fearing a perlonged war with each other.

Who went on a post deleting spree?

Tut tut Mod's and Min's.

Me.

This thread was created for the iconic pictures - not for some petty bullshit football arguements. Keep it for the pictures, please.

Jesus Christ that photo made my stomach heave. That pretty much epitomises how the world is so fucked...suicide...:sad:

9.jpg

Pink Floyd reunite after over 2 decades of running dispute to try and help with the sorting out of what's so fucked with the world.

1101041227_400.jpg

Hmmm...I'm not sure everyone will agree.

mikebite.jpg

Someone get this man away from Wayne Rooney! (That's as he tears that guy's ear off).

Hmmm...all rather negative so far.

tsunami-4.jpg

Tsunami from end of 2004 :( :shock:

o and the WTC has been posted a few times now

miners.jpeg

1980's miners strike: a full force of police standing triumphly behind the abadoned pit.

^ what is that picture?

heres the grand canyon:

20010520-122-srb_large.jpg

and ellen macarthur

bandqboat.jpg

oh and a decent band called iron maiden (250,000 crowd)

Iron-Maiden-1_450x300.gif

you call Iron Maiden historical?

most people call them a travesty.

Yes...and Ellen Mcarther...however you spell it...what an untrue reason for a title..

Really cool thread.

Bamiyan getting destroyed..

bam.8.jpg

bamiyan4_thumb.jpg

Sorry for raping the 56kers!

Brilliant idea for a thread!

I'm suprised that no one's posted The Hindenburg Airship Disaster yet. Well here it is....

hind1.jpg

Pretty grim tbh. :/

So on a lighter note - here's some music related events:

P1010396.sized.jpg

Green Day play Milton Keynes bowl over 1 weekend playing to 130,000 people in total (I was there on the Saturday! :D)

live_aid.jpg

Live Aid.... 'nuff said.

An%20aerial%20view%20shows%20the%20crowd%20attending%20the%20Live%208%20concert%20in%20Hyde%20Park%20in%20London,%20July%202,%202005.jpg

and the followup to that - Live8 at Hyde Park.

Faz, where is that place in the world? And why was it destroyed?

somewhere near the middle east, muslims destroyed it because it was deemed unislamic, even tho it was 2,500 years old, older than islam itself...

That's a crime if ever I heard of one.

Anyway, this is a photo of one of the Nazca Line depictions. I think they're in South America somehere.

spider.gif

Faz, where is that place in the world? And why was it destroyed?

somewhere near the middle east, muslims destroyed it because it was deemed unislamic, even tho it was 2,500 years old, older than islam itself...

Tha Taliban destroyed it to "cleanse" Afganistan, so it was in Afganistan. It happened in March 2001, and it was mainly statues of or related to Buddha, which the Taliban seen as "Hindu heresy".

Ok ok, im just taking it off about.com hehe.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/heritagemanagement/a/buddha.htm

I did know where it was tho! And i knew who did it. But everything else is new to me. It still should never have happened.. It looked amazing before it was destroyed.

Now Another. Shuttle Challenger.

10062384.jpg