NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jav_NE

XBox360 Media Center

Sorry for not using the official thread, thought it would clutter it up, plus im not sure if this had been answered within there as its so large so im asking here. I can delete the thread after if required.

Right... basically i just decided to move my 360 downstairs so it would be close enough to my computer to connect to XBox Live. Success! Im live. I connect with the ethernet cable provided with the system to an NTL cable modem.

That was pretty simple so i felt good when trying to set up the Media Center thing, linking to my Windows XP Media Center to play films, music, videos through the 360 etc.

However, Microsoft seem not to have learnt any lessons in interface or User Centered Design, i choose the icon on the 360, it gives me a number to note down so i do, onto the next screen im then informed to download some software from the internet and stay on that screen.

My question is, i have to disconnect from Live in order to connect to the internet (at least i believe, i dont have a router and am simple plugging the wires directly to the modem which has one port for the wire type). I went to the site (http://www.xbox.com/pcsetup) and ran the file but upon completion it says " .NET framework needed" or needs to be downloaded or something along those lines (im at Uni so i cant try it agin atm).

Im curious, is it supposed to do that? Where do i get this .NET framework? Is the problem that im having to disconnect Live in order to get on the internet? Thinking back to last night i dont think i tried running the .exe file actually downloaded to my computer instead of on the internet while the 360 was connected to the modem, but im not sure what the problem is.

Any help would be appreciated :)

The .NET Framework is a library of reusable classes created by microsoft to aid developers in creating windows and web applications. It needs to be installed on any machine that uses software created using the framework. The easiest way to get it would be to run windows update on the pc you're trying to get working. The framework should be one of the updates listed.

There are actually 2 supported versions of the framework that can co-exist on the same machine, version 1.1 and version 2.0, I imagine that the version you require is 1.1 if no specific version was mentioned as it is the most commonly used version at the moment. If you have no download limits i would recommend getting both anyway.

If you can't find it on windows update, search the microsoft site for the redistributable (not the SDK)

JonSt has it, you should have just been able to run Windows update and download it if you didn't previously own it...

Also, you're lucky to own a PC with XP MCE :( I'll have to wait till Vista till i can run MCE on my 360... Since the XBOX360 doesn't connect to Windows Media Connect x64 ¬__¬.

I have my xbox 360 connected to my MCE pc, it's great, however, if you want to watch format's not support my MCE (which is just about all of them) you'll need this little 3rd party app!

It basically automates this process.

As long as your PC can handle it, the program will convert your files 'on the fly' to a format that MCE will play. It is CPU intensive however. I don't need to use my PC whilst i'm watching any of my AVI's which is probably a good thing as it pretty much grinds to a halt.

Thanks for the framework :)

I now have the problem i anticipated, it now says the 360 isnt connected to the computer half way through instaling, but if i connect it to the computer (not the modem which i had been doing) then on the 360 media center option it obviously wont proceed as its not connected to the internet. Only solution i see, i need a router to actually make a network rather than playing around with wires here and there =/

I duno, its all too confusing for me.

Thanks for the framework :)

I now have the problem i anticipated, it now says the 360 isnt connected to the computer half way through instaling, but if i connect it to the computer (not the modem which i had been doing) then on the 360 media center option it obviously wont proceed as its not connected to the internet. Only solution i see, i need a router to actually make a network rather than playing around with wires here and there =/

I duno, its all too confusing for me.

As far as i know, the xbox doesn't have to be online for the media center stuff to work, just be part of a local network with the media center pc. As long as you can connect the pc to the xbox and they communicate ok, no internet connection should be needed

Sign in to follow this