NEurope
Conor_NE

Revo-Europe Podcast - Hot Topic

hey all,

Being hip and modern and with the times, we're planning to host a regular RE podcast soon. That's amazing in itself - even more fabulous is that we want you guys to get involved. Every edition will have a 'Hot Topic' discussed by staffers involved, and we want to get your opinion on it beforehand. Read some forumers views out 'on air', give some comments, that sort of thing.

The first topic was inspired by the idea that we can have a podcast in the first place, while print-based games journalism like magazines cannot. We can do so much that they can't - it's the digital era now, print's on the way out...or is it? Comment away!

Q. Does the seemingly unstoppable rise of the internet, and the technology available to online games journalists, mean that games magazines will become a thing of the past? And would that be a good thing?

I think what will happen will be neither the one extreme of magazines carrying on in their current form or of them dissapearing. I think the internet can obviously provide information and news so much quicker than magazines that to compete in that field would be laughable (although NGC got the scoop on the Rev Zelda connection and Resi Evil DS first I believe). But what I think will happen is that magazines will become more proffesional and more insightful. Instead of pages of facts and reviews that as a young lad I used to absorb knowning this magazine was my sole resource for information, I see magazines now as giving a valued opinion and useful for intresting articles or views on gaming culture. EDGE for example creates a sort of gaming community talking about the significance of certian games and having debates on issues that are long term concerns of gamers so don't need to be instantly accessed.

So hopefully magazines will turn into more valued and culturally valued pieces of work rather than trying to compete against the internet. So no I think the internet could help curb certian magazines that don't change rather than eradicating them altogether (although the troubles of Games TM make the magazine market seem shaky). Hopefully though by putting more articles in and taking time to put considered reviews in their magazines people will still have justification to buy them.

You'll finally be able to hear the staff's voices! This is exciting..

I really like the podcast idea.

I think games magazines won't die out, in fact it's a good thing that they have to compete againt the internet, so they can't fill pages with stuff from press conferences and sell that as the newest of news, instead they need to get exclusive previews, get in personal contact with developers to gain some information that the internet won't provide and in the end that means more varied and better information for us, sure it can also lead to such extremes as the recent NOM "incident".

Magazines won't die out, like now, i visit the wbeb for enws, but i get ONM anyway because i like a good read and it's one more opinion to go by.

Magazines are still big, though i wouldnt buy magazines for new revolution and game details. They are good because they could contain exclusive interviews, insider information, reviews and the works. All in a nice colourful package. Theres still something lacking with the internet but its hard to put your finger on it.

Magazine reviews are usually funner to read as well, i loved CUBE's layout and captions with their clever comments and how they always dissed their team members . E.G 'this game is an absolute bitch, just like chandra'.

Good to see Revo-Europe is keeping up with the times.

Magazines are useless if you want news. If there's hot news, it'll be on the internet in minutes. Whereas with magazines you can wait for weeks. Also, magazines are quite pricy, but I guess that's the fault of people like me who prefer the 3 big W's. Another thing the web has over printed paper is that it's audiovisual. The only thing magazines are still good for are well written articles and maybe some freebies.

There will always, always be a place for games magazines until online distribution has such economic weight that it is viable to transfer those resources from print to hypertext. This megagulf of fan sites is ever growing, but the content is still the same tired, stale content that it was a decade ago. These 'online game journalists' are as fictional and elusive as the unicorn; such utter tripe do amateur game writers deliver.

Fan sites do little but to serve as news syndicators. There is no 'journalism' involved in reproducing press releases or the RSS feed of the professional games media. There is an opportunity to match the editorial weight of the games magazine independently but the talent simply isn't there - or if it is, it is not a nurtured talent at the age at which these kids are writing.

Blogs are the only viable model for this type of news aggregating 'citizen journalism', which is a concept incredibly difficult to level at a fairly timid and calculated media.

Some clever things said by a magazine man himself, Steve Jarratt from ONM.

Q: The world of videogaming media has changed drastically over the years, with the Internet medium becoming the primary source for the latest news and views nowadays. Does this necessarily put extra pressure on the staff, or is the issue moot due to the ultimate difference in quality and professionalism?

A: This is a constant point of discussion on the mags, and we’re continually evolving the products to reflect this. We’ve ditched news in favour of news analysis, as we’re so late compared to RSS feeds and so on. Likewise, we need to make sure our features and reviews are as sharp as possible, and we try to keep thinking of new ways to present the information. Fortunately, magazines are a much more visual medium and I think we can still do lots with the combination of words and pictures that websites are a long way from emulating.

The gap in ‘professionalism’ isn’t as great as it used to be, since websites are raising their game and can now afford to pay for full-time staff. But I think the reader experiences websites in a different way to magazines: websites are much more news-based, with bite-sized snippets of information or opinion. Magazines still have the edge when it comes to longer features, and also in forming a real bond between the team and its audience. Hopefully the recent ABC increases for Edge (it’s highest ever) and GamesMaster prove that there’s still keen interest in titles that have a clearly-defined character or sense of humour.

Taken from the interview on Cubed3.com. Full artice here: http://www.cubed3.com/news/4757

Personally I visit IGN and such on a regular basis, and I enjoy what they do- especially stuff like Video Rreviews.

However, EDGE magazine still ranks as my choice medium for games media as they provide a real opinnion on events and news and a strong degree of real professionalism- something the internet news sites sorely lack alot of the time

You'll finally be able to hear the staff's voices! This is exciting..

is that a good thing...

yeah! tim and connor all the way! well done on the site so far guys

Actually is was Connor, Wildo and myself who did the podcast.

We've already recorded it, just waiting for the editing department to get finished with it not sure if connor has set a set dat that it should be on the site but my guess is it should be up within the next week.

Q. Does the seemingly unstoppable rise of the internet, and the technology available to online games journalists, mean that games magazines will become a thing of the past? And would that be a good thing?

I'm a big fan of magazines, I grew up on them and they've been a key source of information for me. In saying that though, its unbelievable how easy it is to find information on the internet. Its faster, sometimes a better read and free. For magazines to hold their ground they need to concentrate on exclusivity, official magazines need to get top information first, they need exclusive interviews etc.

I honestly don't think we'll see the end of magazines just yet. There is something about having something to hold which is more appealing. Just like buying a CD, it feels better owning it than buying it off the web and seeing that it occupies so much space on your hard drive.

I've never turned a page in a magazine and been told that the page was unavailable. thats got to be one advantage for a start.

most sites I use have had varying levels of reliability, magazines (once you have purchased them) are pretty reliable, unless they have a close encounter with a match/bucket of water.

I can say I wouldn't listen to it.. not to be rude but I've already got enough to listen to.. if I had an iPod i probably would stock up on them on there for rainy days but sorry.. my schedule as it were is full.

There's only so much games news you can take in a week.. I prefer to get it by reading instead of having it read to me.. plus I think 4cr, 1up, revolution report, IGN and many other sites do a great job already. Personally I only listen to 4cr because they cover the week of Nintendo news in about 5 minutes.

but good luck with it.. just thought it would be best for you to get a balanced responce of forum viewers so you know how many listeners you can expect statistically.

I've never turned a page in a magazine and been told that the page was unavailable. thats got to be one advantage for a start.

most sites I use have had varying levels of reliability, magazines (once you have purchased them) are pretty reliable, unless they have a close encounter with a match/bucket of water.

thats a good point, but a computer would go insane if you poured water into the hard drive as well... magasines tend to be more user-friendly and just look cleaner on the page. Also, adverts in magasines stay away from the articles on a seperate page so it doesnt distract you. Finally when looking at NGC its nice to have a look at their favourite GC games in order, from the ones they review. Its a nice touch

Magazine reviews are usually funner to read as well, i loved CUBE's layout and captions with their clever comments and how they always dissed their team members . E.G 'this game is an absolute bitch, just like chandra'.

In the words of fps doug, It(cube) owns. IT OWNS!!!

I loved cube :love: pity its gone...