NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Windows Explorer Errors

I keep getting random errors when I try and look in particular folders. I can't think of a common reason why they occur, but when I do I can't open that folder, or its contents through other means (eg if its images I can't open them in Photoshop) without it crashing and then getting a "Windows Explorer Error" report or don't report box. Any ideas?

the first port of call for these problems is usually to check the disk for errors and then defragment as one possibility could be a faulty/fragmented hard drive. If you have multiple (physical) hard drives, try and keep and eye out to see if the problem only occurs on one of them.

Yes , Click Start - All programs-Accessories And run Some Defragmenters Followed By some Disk Cleanup Maybe even a Quick Freeware - Spyware Scan

If that doesnt do it Try Re-installing The Programs

:)

Its not programs, its folders. Its just if the folder contains vids I've been trying to open them through Windows Media Player, rather than through the folder but still no joy.

Anyway I'll try the other suggestions. Ta.

Have you Tried Useing another program to run them in other than windows media Player ?

That could work Or Re install Windows media player Or even Update it if needs be

:)

Yeah I have, and its not just videos. A few image folders are like it (which is a bitch as I was planing on photoshopping). Opened that in Photoshop. Both Photoshop and WMP I've been using for the last few hours, im sure its related to the folders.

Ran a spybot checker and removed some stuff but still wonky. Will try the other things.

I've had some weird folder stuff happening recently and think it may be connected to file thumbnails. I've not been able to delete folders after I've been inside them exploring. Maybe something similar for you.

Seems to definatly be a folder thing because I was just ripping an episode of Scrubs. For some reason each vob file has the end of one episode for a few minutes, then most of the next episode. Anyway I ripped the start of the ep I wanted which was one file, saved it and went to test it and it buggered up. So I thought I'd at least convert the other file for the rest of the episode. Clicked the "save to" icon and it closed the program I was using. Annoying to say the least, I want to rip this episode!

I assume you are getting rid of the dvd protection? Tried dvd decrypter? Or you could use DVDFab Decrypter and then some program to rip the required episode from the decrypted dvd.

Im using the same method I used just over a year ago for a media project. That worked fine before. Unless you mean iPod like says "NO its protected" or something which sucks cause I own the DVDs, I just want to watch JD & Elliot get it on while im on the go.

Finally got round to defragging, virus scanning, spybot scanning and all that and still the same problems. Would a system restore be a useful thing?

Change the view mode on the windows that crash to anything but Thumbnail or Filmstrip view.

Some images seem to make the thumbnailing engine shit itself from time to time.

Problem is I can't get into the folders, I click on them and it crashes.

Right click the folder, properties, customise, choose "Documents" under "Use this folder type as a template".

Kudos, but still buggy. Can view the folder, but when I click on something it plays up again.

That's because it's drawing a preview in the sidebar.

Maybe you need to disable the preview functionality altogether.

Now I'm sure it's some dll you have to unregister but from the top of my head I can't remember..

I think it's done using start>run> regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

Or that may just be media files. (Are pics media?)

You need to restart your comp after you've done the unregistering.

Seems to be any DVD ripping software now too. Whichever one I try I click "open DVD" (or the equivilant) and it crashes.

If all else fails you could freshly install windows (without formatting)

put in the win xp disk, reboot, boot from cd, hit enter to go into setup (not r for repair) have it detect your windows installation, then follow instructions to repair. A restored windows will be installed (will look like a complete reinstallation) but your files (games, music, accounts) won't be lost - you'll need to install all windows updates again though.

Sign in to follow this