NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Final Fantasy 12 gets a perfect score.

Final Fantasy XII is just one short week away from release in Japan, and today, the first review scores became public as early copies of this week's issue of Weekly Famitsu, Japan's most well-known gaming magazine, went on sale. The verdict? A perfect score of 40 out of 40.

Although Famitsu isn't especially known for its conservative scores, the multiple reviewer aspect of the cross reviews makes it difficult for games to score perfectly. Only five titles have attained such elite status before: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, for Nintendo 64, Soul Calibur, for Dreamcast, Vagrant Story, for PlayStation, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, for GameCube and Nintendogs, for Nintendo DS. Japanese forum-goers have observed that only one perfect review has been given out for each platform to date, and for the past couple of years, many have been predicting that Final Fantasy XII would be "the one."

Each of the four reviewers praised the graphics, scenario and game system extensively, in particular the freshness that the latest entry has brought to the Final Fantasy series. Interestingly enough, this is the second time a Yasumi Matsuno game received a perfect score from Famitsu; he was also the director of the critically-acclaimed PlayStation epic, Vagrant Story. Although he's no longer being credited as the man in charge of Final Fantasy XII, his influence is still very obviously prevalent throughout the game. [/Quote]

Source: 1-UP

Despite getting a perfect score Im still abit concerned with how FF12 looks and plays.

I played the demo that came with Dragon Quest VIII and the battle system was actually quite decent, it's kinda like parasite eve, but without the whole swirly battle effect when you go into battle. The battles still have a time bar, but you can run around freely while waiting for the time bar to go up.

How many playable characters are in the new game?

(Hopefully the main character isn't as bad as Tidus)

Grrrr PS2 game :nono:

Im not going to buy a PS2 even if this game is most likely going to be its best...

How many playable characters are in the new game?

(Hopefully the main character isn't as bad as Tidus)

Don't worry, "he" is actually way worse than Tidus. Picture a girl with flat chest and short blonde hair. OK, that's the main character. The thing is, it's a guy.

In all seriousness, I was happy that S-E decided to change FF, because they were getting damn boring and asides from the battles, it didn't feel like a game at all. But let's face it, Famitsu is a horrible magazine when it comes to scores, it's common knowledge (or it should be) that the japanese gaming press likes money hats and Famitsu is one of the worst. Join that with their blind love of RPGs and Square and you can bump scores up a notch or two. Still, it might be an amazing game.

20001023l0sn.jpg

The problem is now people will be even more excited and may be disappointed afterwards. Famitsu did the right thing even though it is nothing special when you look at the audience of it voting nearly every Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest game into the TOP10 games ever!

I personally like Dragon Quest better but FF12 will be a great game in my eyes.

40/40!

now i tempted to get the japanese version. will be so difficult to play though!!

Man, I really, honestly wish I had the european version in my hands right now. I need this game, its going to be so good.

concerning the demo, take away the awesome CG and there was nothing that really impressed me about it. The captain and battle system was disorienting. Running around a rather dull-looking beach and fighting a T-Rex boss (yep a t-rex, not even mutated or anything). Im sure the full game is better but im spoiled by DQ8 now, FF12 feels like a step down.

Is it just me or have they reccently started giving 40/40 more often, it used to be a very rare thing.

Ignore Famitsu people, they're just good for news and stuff.

Theyre pretty decent when they lavish some praise on a Nintendo game...

I knew someone was gonna say that, lol.

Famitsu is a good magazine, good reviewers and such. I trust this review, it will be a great game, just like OOT, Vagrant Story and Soul Calibur was.

Oh great, another FF game. Another 2 years of hell at anime conventions where every third cosplayer is going as the main female character (I've always been in favour of yuna cosplayer culling).

If you were minimally informed you would know that the japanese gaming press is highly untrustable because they're corrupt. Famitsu is also a case of corruption. I'm not saying it won't be a great game, but Famitsu is really not reliable.

If you don't know that, it's your problem, not mine, don't go saying I just think this because it's not a Nintendo game.

Jesus christ, you lot need to get a grip! If you dont like the look of a game, avoid it, stop bashing it so much it isnt even out yet!

Hmmmmmmmmm, a country dedicated to RPGs gives a RPG from the same country a perfect score?

Sorry if you don't see the irony.

By your reasoning then, shouldnt every Japanese RPG have a perfect score? That would mean rather a lot of 40/40s, considering that the vast majority of RPGs are of Japanese origin.

I have no interest in anything Famitsu have to say. Anyone that gives Nintendogs a perfect score deserves to be treated with suspicion. I also laughed out loud at the sudden change in attitude towards them shown in this thread; how many times have threads gloatingly promoting the fact that some Nintendo game have scored highly im Famitsu been brandished on these boards? Im on darksnowmans side here.

________

Toyota sera

Edited by Johelian

I gotta agree with Jo there, giving Nintendogs 40/40 is not only stupid but rediculous!