NEurope
Harmonica

Pikmin or Pikmin 2?

Hi. I'm not a n00b as such cos I registered awhile ago under the same name Harmonica.. but I haven't logged on in some time and my account musthave got deleted or I just forgot the password.

Anyway, back to the point. Which game should I get? I've recently got back into playing my GC by buying cheap games that are no going around. I recently got Starfox Adventures and Splinter Cell both for a fiver. I plan on buying Pikmin next cos it's a great title I missed out on. However I hear Pikmin 2 is better, and has a much longer play time (Pikmin lasting around 10 hours whereas Pikmin 2 lasting 30hours.)

My question is whether I should bother skipping Pikmin which i can buy for around £6 and save that money and put it towards Pikmin 2 which i can pick up for around £20-£25?

Cheers in advance.

Definitely go for Pikmin 2 - it's much better, and worth the extra expense.

No,get both, play Pikmin love it then play Pikmin 2. YeahPikmin two is loads better but dont miss out on Pikmin, still an amazing game

It goes like this: Pikmin 2 is bigger, prettier, longer, has lots of stuff to get and multiplayer. So if you can only get one, get this one. But Pikmin still has that sense of urgency that's very rare in games and you can probably find it dirt cheap.

Both games are amazing, I recommend you get them both if you can. The second game is better if you want to take your time and play it at your own pace, however the first game has a time limit so you have to know what your doing. It may be best to play in reverse order.

I went for Pikmin 2 because the received wisdom seems to be that it's the better of the two.

Couldn't get into it. The camera/controls were just awful, it's a constant battle to just see what you want to see. In the end I put it down, unlocked the handcannon in Resident Evil 4 and played through that again - much more fun :)

If you have the time and the money, buy both and play the first then the second - you'll really appreciate how the series evolved and what a truly amazing game the second is (and what a moderately amazing game the first was). Otherwise, just get Pikmin 2. It's bigger, badder, and has tons of extra features and stuff.

I went for Pikmin 2 because the received wisdom seems to be that it's the better of the two.

Couldn't get into it. The camera/controls were just awful, it's a constant battle to just see what you want to see. In the end I put it down, unlocked the handcannon in Resident Evil 4 and played through that again - much more fun :)

I thought the camera and controls were perect. If you dont like the default view you can pan it out or close the camera in. It pretty much keeps everyone happy.....well almost :D

You fail. (character limit)

You fail. (character limit)

Fail? How? Cos I didn't like it?

I found I could never quite see what I wanted and never quite get hold of the Pikmin I wanted - all things that, if you care to read the review, are noted by IGN. Some people are OK with this but I'm dead fussy, I like intuitive controls - I don't like to have to fight the game in order to play it.

As a result I never got on the Pikmin bandwagon, that's all.

Don't worry man, I'm just kidding eh. Still, I found the controls and camera almost perfect, but hey, whatever tickles your fancy.

going off on a tangent imagine pikmin with the Rev FHC. it will be amazing.

going off on a tangent imagine pikmin with the Rev FHC. it will be amazing.

Yeah I have thought about that many times. The game is so suited to the controls for the Revo. Shigsy stated a while back about a third Pikmin game, heres hoping it for a launch title!

Im getting pikmin 2 coming through the post because I subscribed to ONM and Im getting it free! :santa: christmas is late :heh:

It's not diffeicult to get the Pikmin you want at all JetSetWilly...maybe you're playing it VERY clumsily :P

And I agree with Hero-of-Time, the camera is fine, there's really nothing wrong with it, especially if you play a lot of Zelda or Mario: L L L L

Anyway, yeah, get both, Pikmin 2 is impossible to get hold of cheap thoguh (unless you try ONM)

Does anyone know when we should get our ONM games?!!?

Hey surely the wise thing for me to do is subscribe to ONM for a tenner, get what about 4 issues of the mag and the game!

Can I cancel my subscription after the quater year? Or is there a sort of catch where you have to subscribe for a certain amount of time? Or will they automatically renew my subscription as has happened with Empire?

I don't want to subscribe to the magazine for longer really as money is an issue, plus I get all my gaming info off the net. But if all is well and i can cancel my subscription with no qualms then I'm all for this!

Hey surely the wise thing for me to do is subscribe to ONM for a tenner, get what about 4 issues of the mag and the game!

Yes, that's a good idea. If you subscribe to ONM via direct debit you can cancel after the first quarter. Direct debit comes out automatically though so you will have to write to them to cancel it. (I have heard you can cancel Future magazines via their website but not sure about this.)

According to my subscription email:

"Under the terms of the Direct Debit Guarantee (shown below), you are entitled to terminate your Direct Debit at any time."

"You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your Bank or Building Society. Please also send a copy of your letter to Future Publishing."

Pikmin 2 definetly. I found the time contstrain in the first one off putting, never really felt that I could go around and appreciate the places. Also, Pikmin 2 has new types + you can get it Free with a subscription to ONM. Now that's a deal.

get both. subscribe to nintendo mag and get it for tenner plus mags, and find a really cheap version of the original on Ebay. Should be fiver or less. £15 for both is not bad going is it?

get both. subscribe to nintendo mag and get it for tenner plus mags, and find a really cheap version of the original on Ebay. Should be fiver or less. £15 for both is not bad going is it?

Yup I expect that is what I will do. Gonna subscribe to ONM today. How long do they take to deliver the game does anyone know?

I've recently rebought the first one for £4 off ebay. I love Pikmin it's a quality game. I'm gonna rebuy the second one once I've finished the first.

You'll probably appreciate the second more if you play the first. But both are fantastic and worth everyones time.

I still prefer the origional Pikmin, rather than the technically better Pikmin 2. It had a bit more emotion to it :)

Both Pikmins have their merits. Pikmin 2 has a more meatier main mode and some cool additions like the Picklopedia and multiplayer. Pikmin is the one I always go back to though because I like the Challenge mode. The first is a bit more high score focused than the second and a time limit suits the game due to it's small size. I guess it was incentive for you to replay the game.

So yeah, I'd say get both, if you can.

As for the camera, it's pretty easy to get used to. Just remembering to press L to centre the camera and to use R to change the zoom is about all there is to it. Changing the Pikmin you want is simple in Pikmin 2; just grab hold of a Pikmin and scroll through the colours using left and right on the D-pad.

I'd rather say, get Pikmin 1, its alot different to the second one. I know everyone here is saying get the second one, because they think it is better. Well yes, it is good, but i got more enjoyment out of the first one. I think the main reason is that Pikmin 2's longness comes from the random tedious dungeons, that are annoying and dull to be honest. And the first one has outdoors only, which i prefered. I know that the second one has outdoors aswell, but i felt the quality of the first's outdoor world was soooo much better. I think if you buy the first one, you will definitely end up getting the second one anyway. And the multiplayer in the second one is just... legend.