NEurope
Wolfhound

*GAME Phasing Out Gamecube Stock!*

Unfortunately GAME stores across the UK and Ireland will start phasing out Gamecube stock from 6th March 2006, which includes all games and accessories!

This will largely affect smaller stores, larger stores will however remain selling Gamecube a little while longer, still at FULL price, they will recieve extra stock from the countless smaller stores that have to discontinue the system.

Bad move I say. Shelf space is supposedly the decider.

well thats a lie on games behalf.... a brand new game store (big store) just opened up in york and they have no signs of gamecube at all. PS2 has a stupid amount of shelf space, they have probably over 25 copies of each recently released ps2 game spread out.. it takes up at least a third of the shop, madness imo. What are they going to do when zelda comes out? just not sell it??

Apparently Zelda will be released as normal (as a normal GC game) amongst a Revolution section.

As for the shelf space, Sony pay GAME huge amounts of money for it.

The GAME website will stock GC though.

I seen the GAME memo on the situation and it doesn't look good.

Game suck ass anyways. They always charge more than say Argos, Tesco or Asda etc.

and as for sony paying game huge amounts of money for shelf space... that should not be legal

My local stores don't sell GC games anymore I just order it from the internet

I dont really use shops now anyways due to them not stocking games and prices being sky high. I always use the net for my games now. It makes me laugh how retailers are complaining that sales are low due to online shopping but its decesions like this that force people to do it.

It was inevitable - All my local shops still have gamecube space but its cut down massively. On the plus side it means low prices as they try to get shut of the last few bits of stock - I remember picking up loads of cheap N64 games cos of that :D

So the point of me saving up those loyalty points over time was?

Better go and spend them on summin, like a case for DS cames(would be handy)

Well, from now on, if u want me, ill be buying from Play or Simply Games

i have no idea why people even buy from game and others such as hmv which charge full price for games, for a long time now i buy all my games from Gameplay. i got wind waker and prime 2 plus others 2 days before release and i never had to make a trip to the city center. I couldn't recommend them enough imo

You all seem surprised? In Europe, the gamecube has been dead for a very long time- this is only a buisness desicion. Sony isnt paying them to do this nor are they paying them for shelve space- it just happens that the European home console market is Sony's bitch.

The problem is, Cube owners arent stupid enough to buy from shops generally since you can get games online FAR cheaper. There are far more semi-gamers with XBox and PS2s, that's why Curry's phased out the Cube I think. It was actually seeling almost as well as the XBox altogether...

and as for sony paying game huge amounts of money for shelf space... that should not be legal

The headlines tonight - company in paying for promotion of products shock.

Game suck ass anyways. They always charge more than say Argos, Tesco or Asda etc.

Thats cause they sell them as a loss maker. Their main profits come from other things (eg food, tvs and all that) whereas the majority of Game's profits - unsurprisingly - come from games.

Anywho, not a surprise. A logical business decision.

Well i shall visit town less when it happens. It's not just Game as I could not find the Gamecube 'New' shelf anywhere in Gamestation today. Sure, they had a shelf of previously owned games, but there were no new ones. A bit surprised I was.

Oh well, last 2 games I think I'll be buying brand new are Zelda and Baten Kaitos 2

This doesnt bother me in the slightest, I NEVER buy games from Game anymore for the simple reason that whenever bought a game from there, they dont even bother giving you the manual or other things your SUPPOSED to get in the box. (mumbles about a lack of VIP card in Mario Sunshine).

So now I only get my games online so they're nicely wrapped in that fresh Nintendo seal, sure it costs a little more (on rare occations) but Id rather pay a little extra and get everything im supposed to be getting in the firstplace than paying a pound or two cheaper and missing the bloody manual! (numerous pc games and game and watch gallery 3).

And yes, each of the games were brand new.

Anyone else have this happen to them at a Game store? or is it just that the one in my home town really sucks?

"for a long time now i buy all my games from Gameplay"

Guess where Gameplay is now based (since the 31st Jan)? In the GAME HQ!. ;) In the GAME store here, Gamecube has been dumped from the main shelves totally and now has a little rack by the Gameboy and DS games... There are of course like 10 rows of Xbox and Playstation games on each side of the shop... The people who run the stores are right ****s and blackmail companies like EA for discounts otherwise they wipe all of their games off the shelves.

Thats cause they sell them as a loss maker. Their main profits come from other things (eg food, tvs and all that) whereas the majority of Game's profits - unsurprisingly - come from games.

Anywho, not a surprise. A logical business decision.

Why can gameplay charge less then?

At one GAME Store, I bought my mum Another Code, brand new, as a gift. However when it was turned on, there was already a save file on it. This leads me to believe that the employees were playing the game before selling it, which technically means the game wasn't even new anymore. Pathetic.

What kind of sane person buys games from GAME anyway?? I only buy stuff from there when I see something particularly cheap (which is about once a year). Usualy just budget PC games. You can go almost anywhere else and find games for cheaper than in GAME.

Why can gameplay charge less then?

Because they don't have to pay for the same amount of staff, the cost of bills for each shop and posting all kinds of stuff all over the place (otherwise known as store deliveries)

At one GAME Store, I bought my mum Another Code, brand new, as a gift. However when it was turned on, there was already a save file on it. This leads me to believe that the employees were playing the game before selling it, which technically means the game wasn't even new anymore. Pathetic.

Exactly the same for me on Advance Wars 1 for the GBA. I couldn't ever remove it and i was known as "Graham" forever.

And then people in Europe wonder why they get second class service? Let's face facts. Nintendo's main markets are America and Japan.

Here in the states, I have no problem purchasing GC games at the local videostores or rental places. The only problem here is dealing with acne infested clerks that know zero about games that aren't for PS2. No surprise there since most of them were in diapers or not born at the time Nintendo was #1. So they can't possibly understand the allure the said company has on some of us veterans. Nor do I want to waste time telling them about it either.

Other than that, it's pretty good. I do not know of any store that sells videogames that doesn't advertise Nintendo products. Be it Best Buy, Blockbuster, GameStop or whatever. They have some big N products in stock. Not as much as PS2 stuff, but they do have some.

And these days, with lik-sang.com and other online stores, there should be no problem for us Nintendophiles.

And those morons at GAMES forget that their GC games will be played on the Revolution! Just another example of their ignorance. GameCube games will have an after life on the Revolution so those games can still produce some profit.

Meh! me worry? :D