NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
4stringdj

Why Windows Vista wont suck....

Extreme Tech has an interesting slideshow up called Why Vista Won’t Suck. The images show cool features like the operating system’s automatic defragmenter, the sidebar and, yes, the sweet games explorer.

Source: ExtremeTech

looks cool!

Nice find, lots of info I didn't know.

Vista looks really interesting now.

Actually, all that's shown here is a bunch of bundled apps and useless eye-candy. Games explorer, wow really breakthrough technology. :D

At least, for me this slideshow is exactly why Vista WILL suck!

Scheduled defragmenter is nice, but Unix based operating systems don't need to defragment - EVER!

And what about new File Sytem? What about Java support? What about piss poor memory management? What about integrating some apps that are actually useful, like Office for example... or Visual Studio. But no, we'll still have to pay more and more for them.

Actually, all that's shown here is a bunch of bundled apps and useless eye-candy. Games explorer, wow really breakthrough technology. :D

[...]

yeah, reminds me of mac os x (>_<)

gonna stick with my xp, at least until i have some new wondermachine-mega-computer.

though i have to agree it doesn't look bad. but i like my xp better. right now.

Isn't this already released? I think it's called OS X : peace:. Defragmentation? I haven't done that for a year and a half because I don't need such thing.

But I must say as a Linux user I would like to have a few of those things on Linux too.

yeah, reminds me of mac os x (>_<)

When was the last time you used a Mac properly?

When was the last time you used a Mac properly?

lol you just can't stop it, hu? Using a mac properly right now. But i think, the difference between you and me is that i'm able to use linux and windows too. you just could stop doing this, could you? : peace:

I havent looked too much into Vista as of the moment but i cant see any reason why i would want to get it.As far as i candecern it is just a nicer looking xp with minor ajustments.But it is demanding on resources,lowering games preformance.And because of drm ( i am going by a very old account of this so i could be wrong) you will need to buy a liscence when you copying a cd onto the computer and then another license when copying it onto an mp3 player.not to mention practically stopping people from "Aquiring" music from different sources.

if all the above is true then i'm going against getting vista.

None of those things make vista seem any better than i thought it was anyway.

I honestly can't say the idea of complex power options keeps me awake. To be honest, I'm glad to hear there will be a totally Aero-free Basic version. I don't need or want most of the extra features that Vista will try to whore. The "Game browser" for example. I mean... why? All I want is some 32/64 bit fuctionality. Are you listening Microsoft? Cut the crap.

Thankfully, Vista seems to have alot of new stuff under the surface. Finally security seems to be the main point of this OS... coupled with incredibly fast search functions, great new activesync tools, accessable Media Center for anyone who wants it and of course the uber pretty Aero Glass-ness. Personally, i can't wait... we've had XP far too long.

I'll be moving on to Vista Ultimate Edition x64 when Release Candidate 2 hits the end of this summer and the moving onto the RTM when it ships!

EDIT: Actually, whilst you guys are talking about iTunes... the original version had WMP6 ground work. WMP11 has really good sorting and listings for music that no doubt Apple will want to get their hands on.

The major thing about Vista is Direct X 10 (or whatever its called now...), i don't think XP will even support it... so if you're a gamer you'll be forced to upgrade one way or another. Besides Windows > OSX... simply because i can play more than about 20 games on it. ::shrug:

We can´t just judge vista, because noone knows it´s performance and/or usibility...

We can just list what we know until now:

1. Filesystem: the first HD-benchmarks will show the difference or not...

2. Istallation: You can just install a very basic version without mediaplayer, codecs, internetconnection, drivers etc. That´s very cool I think, you can install the needed parts later, so you can make a perfect system with a little practice. (For perfectXP use xp-iso-builder and n-lite!)

3. DX10: Benchmarks will show...

4. Graphicsinterface: It´s 3D! This is so cool! Now you can have several windows up and totally overlook the content. Just turn the window, so that you have a way-out-view on the windows...if really good implemented you can perhaps store the windows-graphics-interface in the Videocard-ram!!! and use direct3d to perform it!!! In XP it´s totally done by your host-cpu, slowdowns and buggy windows anyone?

5. Over-hardcored-drm-like-sanctions: too bad but perhaps lockable by later availeble tweaks and tweak-progs..

6. A major step and xp-emulation: :( but in reality needed cause...everybody knows only upgrading again like 2000 > XP won´t do it anymore...xp is too complicated in its structure and strangly tied together, hopefully this will change with vista, everythings seems so...

please continue the list if you know anything...

What ??????? Microsoft are going to force me to shell out more money to them so that i will be able to play games that come out in the future?????this has to be against some kind of law????is there a good reason that DirectX 10 will not work with XP?

What ??????? Microsoft are going to force me to shell out more money to them so that i will be able to play games that come out in the future?????this has to be against some kind of law????is there a good reason that DirectX 10 will not work with XP?

If it was against the law nobody would make a game with good graphics, as everyone who had an old graphics card would sue them because they couldn't play it.

So the reason direct x 10 is only for vista is a hardware reason,or else a software reason that is inoperable?Sorry,in all honesty i thought it was just microsoft bringing yet another product prematurely to its end.

Microsoft are responsable for my monthly wage so I have to keep up to date with the latest technologies issued by them. Unfortunately, they occupy a position that some people would say "damned if they do, damned if they don't". Microsoft listen carefully to customer feedback and suggestions to new functionalities and many of these change requests are based on existing functionalities used by one of their competitors. If they choose to implement these technologies then people will say "M$ are just copying apple" or whoever. If they choose to ignore the requested changes then people will say "why don't they do something like apple did, it would be so much better".

A case in point is the new tabbed browsing in IE7, everyone is saying they copied the firefox browser... which they did in response to customer request. If they decided to not implement tabbed browsing, there would have been all sorts of protestations demanding it to be put in.

just a question does XP have its own spyware & adware remover program type thing, id like to run one and delete them if any?? it looks like vista does so im wondering if XP does

Yeah, XP does.

Go to the MS site, then downloads page its called Windows Defender but you'll need a legal serial code.

I wouldn't tell you where to get it, but there is a cracked version out ;). I don't have to use it as i actually have 2 legal copies of Windows XP (32bit and x64)

EDIT:

Feb CTP Review part 1 and screenies from my fave site!

Review Part 1

Product Versions Guide

Screenies

From www.winsupersite.com! Awesome site.

Sign in to follow this