NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

I still haven't posted my full 2019 list, but Knives Out was the very last films I saw that year, and it was incredibly entertaining, definitely recommended.

That Donut talk. :laughing:

Jojo Rabbit - hilarious movie with some very powerful scenes.

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse - I'm not really into superhero movies but a friend insisted that I see this. Thank you, my man :D Such a cool film. The animation is insane.

• Like 1

Went to the cinema twice this weekend.  First up, saw Sonic the Hedgehog.  Not a bad game adaption of the blue hedgehog, personally i enjoyed the movie.  Jim Carrey made a good Robotnik (in my opinion).  If you do see it, stay for the credits.

Birds of Prey was next on Sunday.  Usually, DC don't make good movies as they feel rushed and a bit out of place.  But this wasn't too bad, dark and gritty with some light humour to it.

On 2/14/2020 at 7:18 PM, drahkon said:

Watched Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on Wednesday. Really enjoyed it.
Even though I know all the important plot twists and relationships between characters (of the entire series) it was still a great mistery and magic movie. A lot of fun and it's great to see the series become more and more "mature" with each film.
I've seen the next iteration of the series back when it first came out but can't wait to watch it again and keep going with Harry Potter :peace: 

And just now I've watched Knives Out. Bloody amazing. I don't follow movie news anymore but I really hope it's being talked about. Great performances all around and an incredible mystery film. It's silly, goofy, intriguing with twists and turns and a wonderful conclusion. Highly recommended if you like mystery films from the 70s.

You're about to see one of my top 3 favourites! Funnily enough, I've just traded my boxset for the 16-disc Ultimate Edition and I'm watching them all again as well as the extra discs. I've just finished Chamber of Secrets and I'm on Disc 2 of extras. It's all very interesting the way they've filmed everything. Seeing the interviews of all the films sewn together in segments to make an individual documentary is awesome. It also shows the amount of love and respect the cast and crew had for the stories and the characters. It's made me love it that much more and I honestly didn't think that that was even possible.

I saw Birds of Prey in the cinemas. I didn't know what to expect going in but I was pleasantly surprised with everything. It's not the greatest movie ever but it was a lot of fun. Also, I love Margot Robbie. The action was fantastic and the soundtrack was good too. I actually went and bought it and play it before going to the gym.

So in light of @drahkon's revelation of not seeing Harry Potter, I'm going to admit that I've only seen one Bond movie (Die Another Day...and it was dreadful), which has really surprised everybody. I've seen snippets of Bond on telly but not really focused on it. I listened to Billie Eilish's No Time To Die on repeat for the last few days and it has me excited for the movie so I'm watching them all. 

• Like 1

You're about to see one of my top 3 favourites! Funnily enough, I've just traded my boxset for the 16-disc Ultimate Edition and I'm watching them all again as well as the extra discs. I've just finished Chamber of Secrets and I'm on Disc 2 of extras. It's all very interesting the way they've filmed everything. Seeing the interviews of all the films sewn together in segments to make an individual documentary is awesome. It also shows the amount of love and respect the cast and crew had for the stories and the characters. It's made me love it that much more and I honestly didn't think that that was even possible.
I saw Birds of Prey in the cinemas. I didn't know what to expect going in but I was pleasantly surprised with everything. It's not the greatest movie ever but it was a lot of fun. Also, I love Margot Robbie. The action was fantastic and the soundtrack was good too. I actually went and bought it and play it before going to the gym.
So in light of@drahkon's revelation of not seeing Harry Potter, I'm going to admit that I've only seen one Bond movie (Die Another Day...and it was dreadful), which has really surprised everybody. I've seen snippets of Bond on telly but not really focused on it. I listened to Billie Eilish's No Time To Die on repeat for the last few days and it has me excited for the movie so I'm watching them all. 
I'm not going to say that Bond films are cinematic masterpieces, but Die Another Day is pretty much universally agreed to be one of the worst ones, so don't judge the series based on that.
  • Haha 1

Shaun the Sheep: Farmageddon - as charming as you could possibly hope from Ardman, witty and funny almost without fault. Watched it immediately after watching Arrival, which is an A+ double bill with more overlap beyond the obvious themes than you might think. 

I watched Sonic the Hedgehog last night. It was better than I expected, Jim Carrey and Sonic carried the movie though. 

As a video game based movie, I think it was quite good - I think they pretty much got Sonic right (yeah, he talked a lot and was like that hyperactive kid but it made sense in the movie given he had been alone for ten years), and there were some references to the games. I would have wanted some more of the music from the games hidden here and there, that would have been awesome.

As a movie in itself, it wasn't good. The acting apart from Jim Carrey was rather poor and the plot had giant holes in it. But the humour was good (though it catered to the pre-teens a lot sometimes) and the overall feel of the movie was good enough for me.

6/10 - enjoyable for what it is and it's great to see Sonic "in real life". 

On 18/02/2020 at 1:25 PM, Animal said:

I've only seen one Bond movie (Die Another Day...and it was dreadful), which has really surprised everybody. I've seen snippets of Bond on telly but not really focused on it. I listened to Billie Eilish's No Time To Die on repeat for the last few days and it has me excited for the movie so I'm watching them all. 

Did you only watch that one because Madonna did the theme?  O_O (which blew as well)

I saw Last Vegas last night. I'm sad I didn't go to see it at the cinema as it one of those ones where I went "I'm definitely going to watch this", but never did. Some nice heartwarming-ish moments with old people tearing the young 'uns a new one with just the right amount of swearing. Will most certainly watch this again.

6 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Did you only watch that one because Madonna did the theme?  O_O (which blew as well)

I saw Last Vegas last night. I'm sad I didn't go to see it at the cinema as it one of those ones where I went "I'm definitely going to watch this", but never did. Some nice heartwarming-ish moments with old people tearing the young 'uns a new one with just the right amount of swearing. Will most certainly watch this again.

It was actually because of Halle Berry but just like Catwoman, even she couldn't save that film. Fit in both but the films were awful! 

Just got round to watching Terminator: Dark Fate

Spoiler

Listen, and understand...that Terminator is out there. It can’t be bargained with, it can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop...EVER...until you are dead...

...and after that, it will find a wife and kid, settle down and start a business selling drapes and curtains.

Who the fuck wrote this shit? Completely dumps on everything the first two films did, and for what? Just to make more money from flogging this dead horse yet again. Killing John off just made the previous films null and void. Skynet never existed, but pretty much the same thing happened with another computer system? Huh?

Having said that, I enjoyed Mackenzie Davis, but I loved her in Halt and Catch Fire, so maybe that’s why.

3/10

• Like 1

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - kind of a slow movie. Still entertaining, though.
Can I just say: Alan Rickman was incredible as Snape. His voice is something else. 

Next week it's time for the 6th Harry Potter movie. Now come the movies that I haven't seen anything from. I know about what happens to some of the major characters which will probably reduce the impact of some scenes but I don't know anything about how the main plot will unfold/resolve. Can't wait :peace: 

On 29.2.2020 at 11:33 AM, drahkon said:

I know about what happens to some of the major characters which will probably reduce the impact of some scenes

Lol...

Spoiler

I knew that Snape kills Dumbledore. But man...that scene where the entire school stands around his body and everyone raises their wands... :( 

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Awesome. So far my favourite of the series. More mysteries are in play, especially regarding Snape and Voldemord. Can't wait to see how it'll all resolve :) 
Oh and why was one of the main themes of the movie being inebriated/drugged? :laughing: 

Have to wait two weeks for the next film, though, as my best friend is going on vacation. DAMN YOU :D 

By the way, I may be 30 years old and supposed to be an adult but whenever I hear someone say something akin to "Harry, take out your wand" I have to giggle... :p 

Edited by drahkon

Uncut Gems

What a ride. Adam Sandler is astounding in this. He is such a great actor when he wants to be.
Cinematography was awesome, too. A thrilling ride right up to the very last second.

Sonic the Hedgehog was something I wasn't sure about but it turned out to be so much fun. I really, really enjoyed it. I also loved the mid-credits scene! 

The Invisible Man was absolutely brilliant. I loved everything about it from the feel of it to the characters. Definitely a must on blu-ray when it's released.

Edited by Animal

Watched Knives Out on the plane. Probably would have gotten more out of it if I was more awake, in a better frame of mind and wasn't watching on a small screen at an awkward angle (jerkass person in front of me was fully reclined for the whole flight) with crappy headphones but it was good. Will give it another go at some point, both to have a better viewing experience but also to see hints/clues earlier on knowing the ending now.

Also watched part of Frozen II but was starting to get tired. I know its a musical but it seemed to be non-stop. Although I do like how they were fleshing out the lore more and weirdly it reminded me of Zelda.

Watched the Child’s Play remake with @Goafer and was not particularly impressed. It seemed to start off ok and I was thinking I could like it as it’s own thing, distancing it from the main series but it just didn’t seem to know what it wanted to be with weird humour moments and then a load of character choices/reactions that didn’t make sense. I also think it lost a lot by making it AI gone wrong rather than a possessed doll. It’s a lot more creepy when it’s something pretending to be a doll compared to something always walking and talking.