Rate the last film you saw

Slaggis
Chair

828-550x-80201_Holly_Valance_DOA_Movie_Promo_02_453lo.jpg

Loves it.

----

Hannah Montana: The Movie

For the second time.

Thankfully it was close to a year since the first time, but it doesn't get any better. Not my choice. Despite me being a bit of a Miley Cyrus enthusiast outwith Hannah Mont'.

A really really shit film.

How exactly are films with more than 10 million dollars budgets and wide distribution by huge companies like universal and paramount not mainstream?

Kieslowski or GTFO!

The titanic is inane and Hannah Montana is the greatest movie of all time.

My Opinion definitely counts. :grin:

I watched Killers.

936full-killers-poster.jpg

Not much happens.

Katherine Heigl does things.

it ends.

10. out of 37

Predators

It was..good. And in some ways I loved it. I loved that it was like a video game. There was

The main character heavy gun dude, the sniper, the knifer, the doctor, the mini gunner, the mexican (?) dual wielder, the black guy, the guy who steals the enemies technology, the samurai.

And I really liked the cool way it played out.

Quite enjoyed the twist too.

I didn't even know Topher Grace was in this so I massively massively shit myself because I love him. And I adored the

New uber Predator.

7.5/10

poster_8.jpg

It was dumb but I quite enjoyed it until the end. Hated Jamie Foxx's character. I wanted Butler to win. It was almost like an American version of Harry Brown, except not absolutely terrible and more honest.

Entertaining faff/10

Superman Returns

I don't think I've seen a film with so much bad acting, plot holes, contradictions, continuity errors and stupidity.

2/10

Fixed.....

Gigantic

I don't even....What?

Number/Larger Number

Hotel Rwanda

Thought this was a great film. Makes you wonder how people can be so cruel though. I covered my mouth in semi-shock at one point, and shed a tear too. Definitely worth a watch I think.

Gigantic

I don't even....What?

Number/Larger Number

Do expand. I thought it was charming, though can see that there's little to like about it

The A Team

I literally fell asleep, but then it was 2am and Id been awake forever. Seemed vaguely better than expected but wasn;t in the mood for a generic hollywood blockbuster

number

Right, so I'm a complete neohpyte when it comes to films, and I'm looking to clue myself up on the world of cinema this holiday, so could do with some assistance. I rarely go to the cinema and have only really watched the mainsteam 'classics', and the ghibli collection - figures. I'm hoping someone can suggest to me a place to start. I've got 'No Country For Old Men' on my shelf, courtesy of an impulse buy, as I'd heard great things about it. Cheers in advance.

Do expand. I thought it was charming, though can see that there's little to like about it

I enjoyed it, but...it just leaves you with a feeling of :wtf::hmm:.

Mainly just the purely wtf moments of the imaginary(?) guy stalking him, and the completely unresolved ending. Assuming the imaginary guy really was imaginary, where did the rifle shots and other injuries come from. If he was real, what did he have against Brian, and why did his body disappear after death (or was it just hidden by the camera angle)?

The lack of closure doesn't bug me terribly much, in fact I like it most times, this just isn't one of them.

Right, so I'm a complete neohpyte when it comes to films, and I'm looking to clue myself up on the world of cinema this holiday, so could do with some assistance. I rarely go to the cinema and have only really watched the mainsteam 'classics', and the ghibli collection - figures. I'm hoping someone can suggest to me a place to start. I've got 'No Country For Old Men' on my shelf, courtesy of an impulse buy, as I'd heard great things about it. Cheers in advance.

Oldboy

Brick

Trainspotting

Watch Adaptation. My favourite "good" film.

Spirited_Away; My genuine, best bit of advice is to start with the IMDB top-whatever list and work your way through them, keeping note of any particular film you really enjoyed and the reasons for it -- the directing/acting/cast/lighting/music/script, then expand your viewings to include other works by the person responsible for what you admired. I think it's important to get your own flavour of cinema rather than just following what other people think is good.

My favourite type of movie is the 'mind-fuck', which came from my typical mode of watching movies -- alone and high. From that I discovered Waking Life's intense dialogues of philosophy, combined with rotoscope animation, and spread my tastes towards Linklater's other directorial stuff (Before Sunrise and Before Sunset in particular), as well as leading me into the world of Phillip K. Dick novellas by way of A Scanner Darkly also using Rotoscope animation (and, of course, the trillion other PKD movie adaptations of win!).

Everyone will have their own advice for you :) Just don't force it.

the_road_poster02.jpg

Really quite boring. Better than the insipid source material but I'm undecided as to whether or not that's because it ended quicker.

Pick a number/Now pick a much larger number

The Last Airbender

Saw this at my mate's house. WHAT....THE....FUCK! It's probably one of THE worst movies I have ever seen in my entire life and I'm not exaggerating. It's boring, it's crap and totally uninteresting. Even my mate, who's a massive fan of the series, said they messed up the story. However, some of the CGI was good.

1/10

Jay's advice about IMBD was good...everyone has tastes, but sometimes no one can deny the greatness of certain films.

Adaptation and Waking Life (mentioned above) both make you think, though Waking Life is very out of the box, in terms of it doesn't really feel like a traditional film per se, more like a really interesting, confuddling, mind-expanding experience.

IMDB, good advice.

I would also recomend not being shy about watching non-english speaking films.

Not that they are better for it, but because they tend to go unnoticed outside of the it was originally released in.

Let the right one in (which actually has grown more "mainstream" since it came out.) The girl with the dragon tattoo and I understand that the Arn films are pretty good epic films.

Daft; The Road was a kinky man-date between me and Dan Dare. He offered me the book before we even knew the film was in production, and we were eager to see it.

The first thing I have to say about the movie was that it was one of the most faithful adaptations I'd seen since (perhaps ironically!) Fight Club, with only two or so moments of possible alternative inferences. The second thing is that I find it near-impossible to analyse a film based on a book I have read, because I'm spending the whole time comparing one visualisation to another. Hence why I struggle either to agree or disagree with your comment on it being 'boring'. Then again, I don't think the post-apocalyptical world is meant to be all that fanciful, or in anyway enviable whatsoever. It's a film for the empaths.

Plus you failed to mention the Omar cameo.

39steps.jpg

The 39 Steps

Pretty entertaining. I've never read the book, but I imagine it is far superior to the film. Of course, the film, being in black & white, will always feel dated but the way this was directed and acted feels particularly Golden Age. In the context of a spy story of this sort this isn't a good thing. For example, everyone delivers their lines too quickly, as though the director feels the film will be less dramatic if there are more realistic pauses, which really really annoys me.

Maybe I'm spoiled by modern film, but there were many instances where this felt a bit "...". Great story, but a story does not necessarily a film make. I definitely wouldn't class this as the "20th best British film ever" or whatever accolades it receives.

7.8/10

Okay, I'm sure some people on here have seen The Human Centipede but I can't find their reviews, only Wesley's but I thought more people had seen it. Anyway, if you have, what did you think of it because I thought about watching it but I'm not sure about it...

I watched the trailer for it the other day while eating lunch...

...big mistake.

If films don't make me think/react, I generally don't like them. S'why I have no interest in buying/watching comedies of my own accord...I know some are good, but I usually prefer TV comedy to film comedy.

---

Invictus

I liked it. Not as "BowDownGetONYOURknees" as some of Clint Eastwood's other films, and the ways he gets across the message of Rugby/the team/Mandela uniting the country is about as subtle as a brick through a window.

However, my family is like semi-entrenched in/kinda from/lived in South Africa, so I had some vague interest in the story from the start.

I also prefer watching Rugby a million times to Football, and a centerpoint of a film, it's so much more compelling for me, Power, aggression, exhaustion etc. I hated it when I had to play it as a child, but still.

Both Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon were good...nothing to cry home about, but both fitted I felt. However loads of the accents were awful. My mum was like screaming at the fact Francois Prenoir or whatever his name was didn't speak like that.

But very inspiring* and some gorgeous directing and cinematography.

*even if the film seemed to imply that this story united South Africa happily ever after, when in fact, it really did very little of the sort.

Have you checked out some of JG-L's other films? For a child sitcom actor he's done a surprising range of films (Manic, Brick, Mysterious Skin) and I really like him personally because he tends to pick cool and different films (I think 500 is actually the most mainstream film he's done in a long time).

And of course 10 Things I Hate About You!!

But anyway, he is a really good actor. Saw him in some little film called Uncertainty recently which was fairly watchable. Plus I am in the 500DoS love camp so ya know.

In other news, I'm quitting this thread till I get round to seeing Inception for fear of spoilers.

Also, @Dan Dare, just noticed your sig. Haha.. proud

Secrets & Lies

Interesting, considering it's about something I've never properly considering. Emotional, in a non-pretentious way.

Some of the dialogue was a bit shit, and some of the acting was a bit "...". However, the actress who played the main character Cynthia was absolutely fantastic; perhaps one of the best performances in a film I've seen?

7.8/10