NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

well im in a Western period...

Saw Shane as a start.. pretty dated and the "circus outfit" he wore had me i stiches.. i'll give it 6 out of 10

Followed it with the "remake" Pale Rider.. a very youg Chris Penn (r.i.p).. and the beautifull Sydney Penny.. phew.. I was so in love with her when I saw this the first time years ago.. but it was a bit more watchable than Shane I think..even though it was pretty corny at times.. 7 out of 10

Next up is "the Searchers"

I am not ashamed to say that that fim is probably one of my all-time favourites.

I love that movie:hehe: : peace: :o

More teen angst;

The Virgin Suicides

A very engrossing film that is unsuprisingly bleak, but good all the same. Whats kinda worrying is the hotness of Kirsten Dunst in it. She was 17 at the time, but playing a 14 year old :/

Nine.

Shaolin Soccer

I don't usually like either films that are not serious or sports films in general but this was damn funny, and cheered me up when I was in a miserable mood.

7/10

Traffic

Excellant movie. About four intertwining stories of those involved in the drug trade across the US and Mexico border, but they don't just vaugely intertwine like Pulp Fiction or Shortcuts, they meld together to create a complex plot which works on so many levels. The mexican drug cartel story I would consider the heart of the script and creates the complexicities of the plot which is a joy to follow, the Wakefield/addict daughter story brings out the film's emotional side and the witness protection story has a sort of cop thriller curb to it aswell. The other story with Zeta-Jones I can't really catagorise like the other three above, but then again, I suppose it could be considered part of the cop story. Highly recommended; especially if you like these kind of political dramas.

9/10

Narc

I won't drivel on about this like above. I'll just say that I really liked it, but the ending sort of turned me off a bit. I may just need to watch it again, but to me, it seemed, without spoiling anything, unconvincing. Still a good film, though.

7/10

Dawn of the Dead '04

Y'know, for a remake it isn't bad, albiet I have yet to see the original. The acting wasn't bad, it did genuinely create atmosphere and shocks, there was surprisingly some character and plot development (which I seriously wasn't expecting), and it was well shot. Shame it is somewhat responsible of these awful horror remakes being made today.

8/10

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Still one of the best films ever made. You know & I know it. I don't think I need to write out a review.

9/10

Ladder 49 - 10

A great portrayal of what it's really like to fight fire day in day out.

Severance

I really enjoyed this. A bit of a strange storyline in the end but had some funny moments and was very easy to get into and watch.

7/10

The Departed

Another amazing film by Marty, so utterly confusing yet fantastic in every sense.

10/10.

Its that good.

Blood Diamond - awesome.

4/5

You mean it's actually good? Were the trailers designed to make the film look awful on purpose?

You mean it's actually good? Were the trailers designed to make the film look awful on purpose?

Yup, I guess they did, ignore the trailer and take notice of the 5 Oscar nominations.

Go see it bruv.

Blood Diamond

I actually didnt think that much of Blood Diamond. I seen it on Saturday and came out of the Cinema with a feeling of meh. It was good in certain places but I thought it dragged on too long. I do give cerdit to Leonardos performance though. Over his past few films he has really developed into a good gritty actor especially in Aviator and The Departed.

7/10

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. As good as I remember, and I also got some more of the references. 11/10.

Shabba.

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. As good as I remember, and I also got some more of the references. 11/10.

Shabba.

Gotta watch that again. Go ninja, go ninja go!

Fearless

Awesome movie, Jet Li rules. Great actions scenes and nice story

Tokyo Drift

Already seen it before, but due to the crazy amount of really really hot japanese chicks, awesome cars and acceptable story I saw it again. It's really apart from the other fast and the furious.

The Fountain 9/10

I really loved it, and these sorts of open ended films in general. Darren Aronofsky is one of my favourite director, I though Pi and Requiem for a Dream was simply brilliant. This film has been pretty controversial. It was booed when it received its premiere at the Venice film festival but then received a 10-minute standing ovation at the public screening the following evening. This film shows that, suprising to some, Hugh Jackman can act. I'm convinced I will be in the minority who really like it. Its on general release but it is on at very few cinemas as far as I can tell. If you can I really recommend you see it because it is an experience I doubt you will forget. Not as good as Requiem but a beautiful film nonetheless.

Watched a few today, so:

Pans Labrynth:

Not bad....a little bizarre, but the story added up....confused as to where the Faun produced sticks of chalk from though. Nice effects and creatures in there.

7/10

Ecks Vs Sever: Ballistic:

Never got round to watching it (After playing the GBA version of the game it was a film I wanted to see). Storyline is a lot different from the game version, which was a let down. Pretty average affair really, although Lucy Liu was looking fine.

6/10

The Warriors.

Screw the directors cut.....Lost count of the amount of times I have watched this film, it never gets less interesting for me.

Far fetched, unreal and at times funny (Especially for Ajax's one liners).

Cannot recommend this classic enough. The remake is going to have a battle on its hands to even come near to beating this.

9/10

Taking Lives

A well thought out plot at first with the focus on a profiler which is unusual for these kind of thrillers. But at some point it became clear who the killer was and more annoying was the fact that at this point everything was thrown away that was previously carefully constructed and did even contradict earlier statements without further explanation.

I really liked the ending though - and Angelina Jolie :D

6/10

Mystic River

I can understand why it got so many Oscars: it serves lots of Hollywood Thriller clichés. The characters are well fleshed out and play their parts brilliantly but they relation to each other and their background are very Hollywood like. If I had to give you a formula of how to write a good thriller I'd say this and that's exactly the problem. I was not expecting something good but something different.

I won't rate it now though, as I feel that film has to grow on me a bit.

L'Age Dor

Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali's first feature film, released in 1930 it's a surrealist masterpiece. All about sexual repression and the Spainish civil war. Hilarious, shocking and most importantly visually stunning. A very important film.

8/10