NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Ironman

This'll surely annoy ReZ but don't care. I didn't care much for the film. Probably didn't help that I left to shower an hour into it and missed some of it but in all honesty, I doubt I missed much. I just didn't find it entertaining enough given the source material which it's based on. I mean take Spiderman for instance. That got it right from the first film and this didn't. Hoepfully the sequel to this can follow Spiderman 2 and actually be great. The filler between the action bits seemed to drag the film along really. And the ending, well I don't think it should have ended as it did. Don't have him say he's Ironman. Give him this veil of mysterious-ness about him. They should have ended the film before he said it so when the sequel comes along, the suspense would have been greater, even though we already know he is Ironman but I'm sure anyone reading will get what I mean.

I find this in the same boat as Watchmen in that I'm not sure if I would or wouldn't watch it again. Perhaps in both of those cases, I should and perhaps it'll grow on me after a second viewing.

7 out of 10

And the ending, well I don't think it should have ended as it did. Don't have him say he's Ironman. Give him this veil of mysterious-ness about him. They should have ended the film before he said it so when the sequel comes along, the suspense would have been greater, even though we already know he is Ironman but I'm sure anyone reading will get what I mean.
I've not read any IronMan source material, but isn't the point that in his universe people do know who he is.

I've not read any IronMan source material, but isn't the point that in his universe people do know who he is.

No, for most of the time Iron Man was thought to be Tony Starks bodyguard, as they mention in the movie

Its only the past few years I think that he's becoming public knowledge as being Iron Man

I haven't read it either so I don't know. Perhaps that's how he is supposed to be in which case the film got it right. But I think there should be this mystery about who a superhero is within a film. ::shrug: Each to their own though but that's definitely how I would have preferred it.

ive_loved_you_so_long_ver3.jpg

Great film and although the ending is incredibly tragic it also feels slightly anticlimactic; it's very matter-of-fact. I recommend people check it out.

I've Loved You So Long/10

Far and Away

Watched this last Sunday evening on good old VHS! Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman star in this oldie that I've never seen before. It was a good watch, if not a wee bit on the long side. I wasn't fussed on the wishy-washy ending where

he died and came back to life,

but apart from that, surprisingly good!

7/ 10

The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3

Went to see this on Wednesday night with a lad I used to work with. He's a film/ media buff so cinema-ing with him is always good. The film was quality, you always knew how it would turn out but that didn't take anything away from it. The only thing I didn't like was the way it was edited together, twas meant to be "cool" or whatever, but I found it annoying. Maybe I'm a bit fuddy-duddy eh!

8/10

Orphan

Saw this bad boy late on on Friday night. I had no intention of seeing it, but the fella I went to Pelham 1 2 3 with recommended it but said the twist was a bit out there. I disagree actually and found it to be believable and to work well with the story. It had its moments and was really gripping. Gives you food for thought about would you ever adopt...? Hmm.

8/ 10

Ironman

This'll surely annoy ReZ but don't care. I didn't care much for the film. Probably didn't help that I left to shower an hour into it and missed some of it but in all honesty, I doubt I missed much. I just didn't find it entertaining enough given the source material which it's based on. I mean take Spiderman for instance. That got it right from the first film and this didn't. Hoepfully the sequel to this can follow Spiderman 2 and actually be great. The filler between the action bits seemed to drag the film along really. And the ending, well I don't think it should have ended as it did. Don't have him say he's Ironman. Give him this veil of mysterious-ness about him. They should have ended the film before he said it so when the sequel comes along, the suspense would have been greater, even though we already know he is Ironman but I'm sure anyone reading will get what I mean.

I find this in the same boat as Watchmen in that I'm not sure if I would or wouldn't watch it again. Perhaps in both of those cases, I should and perhaps it'll grow on me after a second viewing.

7 out of 10

Spider-Man really wasn't that good. In fact in comparison to Iron Man its a piece of shit. Sure they got the bare bones right, but for the most part the acting was fairly shit, extremely shit CGI in certain bits ruined it, Green Goblin sucked ass etc. Oh...and it feels super cheesy and it just has an air of cliched-ness about it.

Iron Man just feels better and more epic in every sense, and RDJ IS Tony Stark. The film is about him, his feelings and his changes and it just nails that, throws in fantastic effects, good action scenes and is only really let down by the final fight, but its just a brilliant film. Can't believe you didn't find it entertaining. I am gripped by the whole thing. And you took a shower and didn't pause it?

For shame. Which bit did you miss? Like which bit did you leave at.

The Hangover

I was drunk and watching it with rowdy guys, but I was laughing alot! ''Hello'' was one of my favourite lines. That's not even a spoiler because you have no context. Ah, I need to go back to bed. Anyway, enjoyable film.

7/10

I mean take Spiderman for instance. That got it right from the first film and this didn't.

Spider-Man really wasn't that good. In fact in comparison to Iron Man its a piece of shit. Sure they got the bare bones right, but for the most part the acting was fairly shit, extremely shit CGI in certain bits ruined it, Green Goblin sucked ass etc. Oh...and it feels super cheesy and it just has an air of cliched-ness about it.

What I was going to say. Spider-Man on film is truly awful, considering the source material is SO GOOD. I mean, Spider-man being one your favourite super-heroes feels like it should be cliched, but he's a great, great character.

Tobey Maguire acted like a depressed camel throughout all 3 films, with perhaps the second one being the best the series got. (As Doc Ock was done nicely, and overall, it flowed well, IIRC)

Nothing like Peter Parker. As much as I like Kirsten Dunst, she didn't feel much like Mary Jane, one of the few superhero wives/girlfriends to actually have a personality.

But yeah, looking back, I really really don't like how Spider-Man was done. I do like the second one, might rewatch that to remind myself why, but no, Iron Man is miles above Spider-Man in terms of successful adaptation to film.

----

Hunchback Of Notre Dame

9/10

Always loved this, love how it's so fucking dark. Like...religious persecution, analysis of the evils within people who hide behind roles and so on.

Only things I don't like were the Gargoyles (though not as bad as I remembered), they were the token kids'll-be-entertained characters, but didn't really work. The music wasn't that memorable outside of that Out There song, but I don't think it was really the main focus.

Edited by Paj!

Was about to ask whether you were talking about the Disney version or the original until I read the last sentence :p

Original was quite good too, from what I remember.

manos the hands of fate or fantasticly orgasmic

a film made for $500 on a bet. its considered the worst movie ever made, and it is. its so bad, its unintentionaly hillarious. i was in tears at several moments.

watch iof you get a chance 1/10

batman (1966) or logic is missing.

the films logic is hillarious. why would batman need a labled watercooler in the bat cave? why would re hydrated henchmen vanish after a single punch? why is adam west alowed out in public? the bomb scene is classic. the joker hasnt bothered to shave his tach off, just make up'd it over.

holy lack of logic batman! 3/10

sex drive or predictable as can be

to be any more cliche, the film would have had to be a clipshow of the most standard teen comedy moments. it was funny and all, just brought very little of its own. it was almost just going through the motions.

the ending was actualy getting pretty funny, shame it ended. the chick fight bit was really funny.

the main girl was hot.

unremarkable 5/10

What have I seen recently...

John Tucker Must Die

John%20Tucker%20Must%20Die.jpg

I remember there being flashes of what could have been good moments, but otherwise throwaway as you'd expect. Seemed like a vehicle for Jesse Metcalfe than anything, who seems to be naked/topless in every other scene (and probably helped bolster Brittany Snow's career too).

Terms Of Endearment

terms_of_endearment.jpg

This film is actually pretty good. It really throws you, as IIRC, it spans 30 years, and skips out major things that normal films might include, but for the sake of the story. It doesn't fall into the traps of cliche, apart from on a basic framework level of Debra Winger's story. All 3 main actors give great performances, and Maclaine and Nicholson are funny. Winger is a believable character who we care about, and I think it's the first film in AGES to bring tears to my eyes. So yeah. Fucking sad. But funny in bits too. Surprised me. But then I read it won like a zillion oscars.

Iron Man just feels better and more epic in every sense, and RDJ IS Tony Stark. The film is about him, his feelings and his changes and it just nails that, throws in fantastic effects, good action scenes and is only really let down by the final fight, but its just a brilliant film. Can't believe you didn't find it entertaining. I am gripped by the whole thing. And you took a shower and didn't pause it?

THANK GOD! Another comic book fan who DOESN'T shoot his load every time Tobey Maguire is on screen!

Seriously, Spider-man is supposed to be a funny and intelligent guy who is comming to terms with himself. Tobey Maguire just can't do the one-liners. After I saw Transfromers 2 you know what I thought? "God that movie was too long and the robots didn't have enough screen time."

And then shortly before bed I thought "Shia LaBoeuf would make a much better sSpider Man."

manos the hands of fate or fantasticly orgasmic

a film made for $500 on a bet. its considered the worst movie ever made, and it is. its so bad, its unintentionaly hillarious. i was in tears at several moments.

watch iof you get a chance 1/10

It's not considered the worst film ever made. It's considered one of the worst, but the one which is considered the worst one is Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space. But yeah, Manos is fantastic too. :D

THANK GOD! Another comic book fan who DOESN'T shoot his load every time Tobey Maguire is on screen!

Seriously, Spider-man is supposed to be a funny and intelligent guy who is comming to terms with himself. Tobey Maguire just can't do the one-liners. After I saw Transfromers 2 you know what I thought? "God that movie was too long and the robots didn't have enough screen time."

And then shortly before bed I thought "Shia LaBoeuf would make a much better sSpider Man."

Agreed.

But not Shia.

Also:

Up

Was expecting it to be great and in some parts it delivered... but overall it was just ok.

6/10.

Sleepless in Seattle

I know it's a chick-flick n'all but frankly, it was dire. You've Got Mail was much better -at least the characters interacted before the end of the film. There was no real personality development or real story.

4/10

Secretary (2002)

secretary1.jpg

It was good. :) I was expecting more and it should have been darker but it was funny in a twisted way as well as being meaningful.

5 Bears out of 7. :D

Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder

Not sure why I've waited this long to watch it (and I don't think I've seen the third yet actually) but it was entertaining. Shame the cancellation, revival, cancellation and new revival has stalled the Fry and Leela relationship. But yeah, it was okay. Loved the cameo from Snoop Dogg.

Dogma

Funny, thought provoking, and very entertaining. Deserve's a rewatch very soon and I shall be checking out Kevin Smith/Silent Bob's other films aswell.

Rocky

I have a habbit of going into Boxing films thinking "This will just be a series of matches with boring sport related dialogue inbetween" but I'm always proven wrong (see Million Dollar Baby, Raging Bull, Rocky Balboa) Another classic.

Btw, I have no idea why it's taken me so long to watch the original after seeing Balboa almost two years ago! Will be watching 2 - 5 in the next few weeks.

Also, rewatched The Dirty Dozen and Where Eagles Dares , which are great fun, in preparation for Inglorious Basterds on Wednesday.

40260_3.jpg

matrix_revolutions_14.jpg

Just amazingly awful. There is very little to like about this. Even the special effects look dated. I can even tell the little bits they added in so it would link in with the equally dire video game.

How did it go so wrong? Seriously, it is an impressive fuck up.

If the Matrix was a disease, it would be AIDS.

Used Needle/10

Although the story seems to piss on itself. The films aren't that bad when it comes to just mindless action.

Although the story seems to piss on itself. The films aren't that bad when it comes to just mindless action.

But after about two minutes of Neo kicking the shit out of 5 million Agent Smith's you just get to thinking "what's the point? Why did I pay for this?"

Much like sex with a 55 year old hooker.

Edited by Iun

I might have agreed once but watching it again it's so stuck up its own anal cavity it's a joke.

You're wearing sunglasses indoors...at night. You are not cool.

Classic line just now,

'That's impossible. No one can navigate the maintenance tunnel.'

[long pause]

I might have agreed once but watching it again it's so stuck up its own anal cavity it's a joke.

Classic line just now,

'That's impossible. No one can navigate the maintenance tunnel.'

[long pause]

I've just come home from work and experienced that. The whole ending of "We'll let your shitty people live so you can die and save the Matrix" ia much empty.

I've just come home from work and experienced that. The whole ending of "We'll let your shitty people live so you can die and save the Matrix" ia much empty.

I do love the fact that the idea of peace just comes completely out of the blue.

Another classic line,

"Do it kid!"

[Long pause]

[Another pause.]

"Neo, I believe."

[Shoots chain that opens the gate. Long pause.]

[Pause.]

What I don't get is why don't the machines just drill into Zion and then just gas the place. That way no robots need get hurt.

Waking Life

I loved. Stunning animation, which looked like it was done on MS Paint, but so well. I was promised a mindfuck, but really, I just found it really engaging and interesting on a philosophical level, as effectively, it's just one long really appealling lecture about the concept of existance and time. But more stunning than that sounds.

The talkiness of it appealed to me.

Lovely/10