NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

District 13

Brilliant. Awesome. Amazing. Not all at once though.

10/10

10/10 is a bit steep! Was an ace film. Like shoot 'em Up meets Mirror's edge-- almost.

The Cat Returns

I liked the first 30 mins.

5.9/10

Secrets & Lies

A brilliant film by Mike Leigh, Palme D'Or winning, Oscar-nominated shiz...brilliant and heartening yet sad look into the family life one finds in a cross section of London, revolving around the story of a woman (Marianne Jean-Baptiste) searching out her birth mother.

A lot of focus and threads to do with circumstance and perception of how good and bad it truly is, and parental relationships.

Stand-out performance from both Jean-Baptiste and Brenda Blethyn, playing a "common" single mum. The dialogue was top-notch too...the way that Hortense' language and speech changes subtley from the scenes just in her life, to those in Cynthia's, etc.

9.7/10

District 13

Brilliant. Awesome. Amazing. Not all at once though.

10/10

Is that the new one? The original was amazing but this new one I thought kind of let the legend of District 13 down =/ Fishburne was pretty good though.

Laputa: Castle In The Sky

Been a few years since I first watched it and it's nice to see it again. Very nice film. A little underrated in terms of the Studio Ghibli lot and I don't really understand why. Would be interesting to have a movie that showed what life was like on Laputa prior to this film and prior to it falling into ruin. Don't think they'll do it but it'd be interesting.

Mongol

Didn't know what to expect when I bought this earlier in the week. Seen a few people say it was good so thought I'd take the plunge. And I have to say it was fantastic. A really good piece of cinematography. I thought we'd get to see more of the Genghis Khan side to Temudgin after he is pronounced King over all Mongolians but what we got was better. Showed you exactly how he changed due to being constantly pursued by enemies and how he created the laws for the country. Also, the look into his tactics was brilliantly done. Wasn't much in the way of goings on in the film but it left room for you to think about what was happening and I think it was better for it. They could have filled it full of battles but it would have lost the meaning to it. That pose of Temudgin in armor atop the horse in the thunderstorm standing over the enemy was very iconic. Other than that, it was beautifully shot (although I doubt it's done to Mongolia what LotR did to New Zealand which is a shame) and the acting was superbly done.

Will be watching Curse of the Golden Flower tonight so I'm really looking forward to that as it's something I've been wanting to watch for ages.

Is that the new one? The original was amazing but this new one I thought kind of let the legend of District 13 down =/ Fishburne was pretty good though.

Uuurrmmm....

598136193.jpg

not...

Resize%20of%20Assault_On_Precinct_13_2005_Uk-%5Bcdcovers_cc%5D-front.jpg

Which sucks. :wink:

10/10 is a bit steep! Was an ace film. Like shoot 'em Up meets Mirror's edge-- almost.

For what it did in 81 minutes. I'll happily give it a 10. Might buy it on BluRay. One of the few films where I want to see the special features.

Hahah! Epic.

(I actually liked Assault on Precinct 13 remake. I thought it was cool)

*looks incredibly stupid*

Sorry! I had no idea there was a new movie like this out. Didn't mean to sound assy or anything I honestly thought you watched the remake. It was early! *sews internet mouth up*

*looks incredibly stupid*

Sorry! I had no idea there was a new movie like this out. Didn't mean to sound assy or anything I honestly thought you watched the remake. It was early! *sews internet mouth up*

Haha! I had to check my rental list after my friend got confused just to check I got District 13. :heh:

The Bone Collector

IF YOU'RE READING THIS JAV_NE, This is not the one I purchased from you [2 months ago] I purchased another copy. ANOTHER I TELL J00.

Anyways, lovely film. But it won't recreate the feeling of watching it for the first time. Since I knew who the killer was and waiting to see him again sans disguise. Still a good film though.

Eight Shabba's

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

Consider me burned :(

It is a good film, very well paced and thought out. It deserves more praise than it got really.

Frost/Nixon

Interesting, but not really.

Good, but not enough to deserve any nominations for awards.

I dunno if you were supposed to feel sympathetic with Nixon, but by the end I was. The look on his face during the interview made me cry for him.

It felt like justice was served. The way the disappointment of a nation haunted him for the rest of his life. I'm glad he didn't get formally charged/sentenced, because that would have made his punishment seem material and quantifiable.

7/10

I see your 7... and raise you an 8. Pretty damn good film! One of the best I've seen from the whole year. Bravo!

Consider me burned :(

It is a good film, very well paced and thought out. It deserves more praise than it got really.

It got none. So yeah, I guess it should've got some more. But not enough to elevate it past "mediocre", really.

Seven Pounds

A tad predictable but I thought it was Really good. A solid film with very good acting from Will Smith I felt and the rest of the cast. (I didn't realise he was 40! :o) It got me thinking and I thought the story was well thought out! It is quite sad as well.

Much better than is suggested. One of the best I've seen this far but then I've not really watched any others. :p

Sin City

Slick yes, corny yes, predictable yes, fucking epic? YES, the yellow guy threw off the film for me, but i loved the whole old town story, along with that guy who killed rouke possibly played by mickey rouke i have no idea.

how to lose friends and alienate people with long winded titles

It was classic pegg really, he started off hating and became the thing he hated, it was a nice piece, and having an anti hero as the star is something i love.

Eden Lake

A very good horror movie that didn't rely too heavily on blood and guts flying all over the place.

8/10

The tale of Desperaux

It got a little boring too fast but overall it wasn't a bad animation

6/10

Beverly Hills Chiuauhua (I dunno how to spell it)

Crap

3/10

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

There seems too much going on in this film all at once. Tis entertaining but somethings sadly don't make sense, even if it set in an "alternate" reality.

Eight Shabba's

Double Jeopardy

I very much likes this film. Although checkings ImDb, the law technically doesn't work in the way which the film implies. Tommy Lee Jones gives it the extra pr0 factor as he does in so many of his films.

Nine Shabba's

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

Starship Troopers

This film has it all. Guns. Aliens. And Tits. Not big ones, but they tease you by having Denise Richards covering hers us. And for those How I Met Your Mother fans, you can knock one out over NPH. It keeps inspiring me to make a Games Workshop diorama with Tyranids and Imperial Guard, which I know I'll end up doing someday.

Nine Shabba's

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

A Knight's Tale

The addition of old rock music confuses me. Plus The Boys In Back In Town has always annoyed me [rhyming crazy with crazy, it's almost as bad as Robbie Williams], but an entertaining experience. Sadly it's also dragged down by Jocelyn having a plain face, wank acting and no rack.

Eight Shabba's

Why the hell do you rate everything so high, EEVIL? :heh:?

*sigh*, one day I'll find someone who likes Starship Troopers for the right reasons, I hope...

Why the hell do you rate everything so high, EEVIL? :heh:?

*sigh*, one day I'll find someone who likes Starship Troopers for the right reasons, I hope...

I don't know. I do consider a seven/and a half but I always restrain myself.

The right reasons!? They are the right reasons. Take the tits out then, since as mentioned the one's shown aren't that impressive. Could the guns and aliens be enough? :blank:

The right reasons!? They are the right reasons. Take the tits out then, since as mentioned the one's shown aren't that impressive. Could the guns and aliens be enough? :blank:

OH, come on... it's a film adapation by Paul Verhoeven (a liberal quasi-anarchist) of a book by Robert A. Heinlein (a right Wing exteremist). It's a fascist allegory, damn it!! Can't you even notice the subplot? :cry:

OH, come on... it's a film adapation by Paul Verhoeven (a liberal quasi-anarchist) of a book by Robert A. Heinlein (a right Wing exteremist). It's a fascist allegory, damn it!! Can't you even notice the subplot? :cry:

I'm not sure, tell me the subplot and I'll tell if that's what I suspected.

Curse of the Golden Flower

Ok, it wasn't an amazingly good film but it was slightly better than average. The whole dysfunctional family thing is cliched as was their relationship and desires to see certain members removed from the family, but it was interesting, especially the Emperor giving his wife medicine to make her go insane when, ironically, she was already insane. It is a little stagnant until the last sort of 30 minutes when it picks up big time. The filming is great and the colours used are very vibrant and reflect the rich nature of an Emperor. Don't see colour like this in normal western release movies unless it's an animation. Chow Yun Fat was alright as the Emperor although there was something about the performance he put in that just wasn't right. He was capable in the role although I think they probably cuold have done better. And this is true of some of the sons. Jai, for example, is acted pretty poorly and the guy playing him didn't really look the part for some reason (something about his face/head just seemed off). I think the only character that was acted well was the Empress but that's not to say the rest were extremely poor. Just, as I've said, they could have done better.

7 out of 10

Watching The Girl Who Leapt Through Time tonight, so continuing my voyage into the asian cinematography.