NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Independence day, the 'Henry V' speech makes me lol:

"We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!''

It's no classic but I enjoyed it last time I watched many moons ago.

Independence day should bring comfort to all of us. If a technologically superior alien race were to attack us all we'd need is a laptop (that conveniently interfaces with the aliens' systems) and a virus (knocked out in just a few minutes) and bang!!! we've won the war.

Independence day should bring comfort to all of us. If a technologically superior alien race were to attack us all we'd need is a laptop (that conveniently interfaces with the aliens' systems) and a virus (knocked out in just a few minutes) and bang!!! we've won the war.

I see no flaws in this plan. Obviously they're so far beyond us that they've lost immunity from such crude viruses and hacking attempts that they'd suffer from us. The password to the nukes is probably password.

Independence day, the 'Henry V' speech makes me lol:

"We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!''

It's no classic but I enjoyed it last time I watched many moons ago.

One of the best lines in the movie, agreed. It does have a feeling of hope and we ain't going to back down inside it as well

Yeah, and then we will need a cable guy to upload the virus to the mothership as well. I don't think any other person could do such a task.

Then we get our hands on a suicidal crop sprayer as well to vanquish such a craft.

The question on my lips is: Why re-watch these mediocre sci-fi films when you could easily watch Alien?

It's not a lie when I say its a proper 10/10 film.

Technically Alien is more suspense/horror than a strightfoward "sci-fi". The only one I'd class as plain sci-fi fun is Alien Ressurrection.

But yeah. I could watch that anyday, anytime.

Alien is a good movie, i have to agree with you on that one. But Paj Meen Ah has a point, it is more of a suspense/horror themed movie compared to Independence Day which is Sci-Fi themed. Both films can belong in the same category, but are 2 completely different movies.

I see no flaws in this plan. Obviously they're so far beyond us that they've lost immunity from such crude viruses and hacking attempts that they'd suffer from us. The password to the nukes is probably password.

That would be typical, such destructive missiles with a simple unlock code. Typical Americans.

Dakota Fanning was the only good thing about War Of The Worlds.

Dakota Fannings hideous overacting was the worst thing about war of the worlds, which on the whole was pretty terrible.

watched 2 films recently:

The Wrestler : Just awesome, mickey rourke for the Oscar plz 9.5/10

Revolutionary Road : Was an utterly depressing film (moreso than the wrestler imo, about how easy it is to go from having big ideas and getting stuck in the whole big house 2.4 children working a 9-5 job that you hate.) While I like this I felt it was missing something but I couldn't put my finger quite on what. 7/10

It's extremely meh.

You've seen The Dark Knight too? :o

The question on my lips is: Why re-watch these mediocre sci-fi films when you could easily watch Alien?

It's not a lie when I say its a proper 10/10 film.

I'd have to disagree, Alien is a... Eh film, but it's just not something I can watch again and again. Plus the fact that these "suspense" thriller/horrors bore me.

I can't remember if I bought that recently, as I did with a few doovdes. But it's been plaguing my mind recently. It is a top movie and one thing that pisses me off abotu it, is that my former housemate hasn't seen it all the way through.

Disgusting.

You've seen The Dark Knight too?

I'd have to disagree, Alien is a... Eh film, but it's just not something I can watch again and again. Plus the fact that these "suspense" thriller/horrors bore me.

If I were human, I'd cry.

Advice needed, going to the film on Sunday and the choice is currently between Slumdog Millionaire (my preference) and Seven Pounds.

Which one is better and more fun to watch? =P

Advice needed, going to the film on Sunday and the choice is currently between Slumdog Millionaire (my preference) and Seven Pounds.

Haven't seen Seven Pounds, Slumdog is a simply superb film though.

Slumdog is good, Seven Pounds is (from what I hear) not worth its own name :p

(lame joke doesn't quite work considering in your case it'll be Euros but whatever)

Slumdog, defo. (I've not seen Seven Pounds) but Slumdog has had universally better reviews.

Slumdog is being praised universally, while Seven Pounds is being the opposite! There's no two ways about it.

Ehhh, another question, is it all in English? Or are there other languages in Slumdog Millionaire? >.>;

*very important question*

Ehhh, another question, is it all in English? Or are there other languages in Slumdog Millionaire? >.>;

*very important question*

It has Indian portions with subtitles....they aren't massively important though. They're also few and far between.

Which reminds me...I like the style of the subtitles, its like...non standard, like not just plain white text. Thats a bit irrelevant though.

It has Indian portions with subtitles....they aren't massively important though. They're also few and far between.

Yeah well problem is, the subtitles will be in Dutch... and Flinky can't read Dutch. =P

Yeah well problem is, the subtitles will be in Dutch... and Flinky can't read Dutch. =P

Oh I see. :)

Yeah, I can only think of one scene where they are of any real importance, and in that scene it becomes very apparent very quickly of what they might have said. :)

Plus its Flinky....he'll put up or shut up, if he knows whats good for him. Lol. ;)

Oh I see. :)

Yeah, I can only think of one scene where they are of any real importance, and in that scene it becomes very apparent very quickly of what they might have said. :)

Plus its Flinky....he'll put up or shut up, if he knows whats good for him. Lol. ;)

Hahah yeah, I guess I'll be his personal translator if the scene really needs to be explained or something. =P

Whoooooo, film! =D

*excited*

Two movies were watched by myself today, here are my thoughts on both

Dragons Forever

Stars Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao and Benny Urquidez. Outstanding movie, the last one to feature Chan, Hung and Biao in the same movie (Chan has been in movies with both Hung and Biao individually afterwards). Good fight scenes throughout, best part of the movie really is the whole end fight with Chan and Urquidez. Marvelous. 9.5/10

The Wrestler

What can i say that hasn't been said already. Mickey Rourke for an Oscar. 10/10

2001: A Space Odyssey

Someone has just had sex with my brain.

10/10

Daaaaaiiissy

Daaaiiiiiisssssy

Giiiive Meee Yoooour Annnnsweeeer Doooooo

Quality film, and I watched this pretty recently.

It is recommended to read the novel it is based on, which I'm going to track down at some point. :)

The Wave

An interesting socio-political film which was a real treat to watch. Because im too lazy to type my own heres IMDB's description for anyone interest; A high school teacher's unusual experiment to demonstrate to his students what life is like under a dictatorship spins horribly out of control when he forms a social unit with a life of its own.

Although there was one kid which was basically all the bad aspects of the humour of ReZ, Murray and Moogle all rolled into one.

If I were human, I'd cry.

The thing about action films is that alot of is predictable, yet you enjoy it because it's mindless fun. Yet with a suspense thriller once you know something has happened the effect wears off and it moves to the next "suspense" moment, which is no longer suspenseful because you know what's coming and how long you're waiting for. It's like... say, Mario 64 is the action genre. You know what's coming but you have fun. Suspense thrillers, I've got Professor Layton in my head, once you've done a puzzle, you know it. Simple as. If you decide to replay it, you know what's coming.

I know it's not this clear cut in every respect.

The thing about action films is that alot of is predictable, yet you enjoy it because it's mindless fun. Yet with a suspense thriller once you know something has happened the effect wears off and it moves to the next "suspense" moment, which is no longer suspenseful because you know what's coming and how long you're waiting for. It's like... say, Mario 64 is the action genre. You know what's coming but you have fun. Suspense thrillers, I've got Professor Layton in my head, once you've done a puzzle, you know it. Simple as. If you decide to replay it, you know what's coming.

I know it's not this clear cut in every respect.

Yeah, but Alien isn't amazing just for the suspense elements...:blank:

(I otherwise generally agree)

Frost/Nixon

Interesting, but not really.

Good, but not enough to deserve any nominations for awards.

I dunno if you were supposed to feel sympathetic with Nixon, but by the end I was. The look on his face during the interview made me cry for him.

It felt like justice was served. The way the disappointment of a nation haunted him for the rest of his life. I'm glad he didn't get formally charged/sentenced, because that would have made his punishment seem material and quantifiable.

7/10