NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Why 10?

Mr. Bears has it right, number ratings are arbitrary scales.

10 is just an even number, and it leaves a lot of room for sub-categories, such as:

1 - 2 = This film will physically make you feel sick

2 - 3 = A seriously poor film

3 - 4 = Poor film, below average.

4 - 5 = Below average

5 - 6 = Average to decent film

6 - 7 = Not particularly amazing, but a good look-in.

7 - 8 = pretty good, worth watching.

8 - 9 = Great, and definitely worth watching

9 - 10 = OH EM GEE!

Its rough, but you get the idea.

With 7, whats the average? 3 bears? or 4? Or 3.5?! Can you have .5 of a bear?!

10 is just an even number, and it leaves a lot of room for sub-categories, such as:

1 - 2 = This film will physically make you feel sick

2 - 3 = A seriously poor film

3 - 4 = Poor film, below average.

4 - 5 = Below average

5 - 6 = Average to decent film

6 - 7 = Not particularly amazing, but a good look-in.

7 - 8 = pretty good, worth watching.

8 - 9 = Great, and definitely worth watching

9 - 10 = OH EM GEE!

Its rough, but you get the idea.

With 7, whats the average? 3 bears? or 4? Or 3.5?! Can you have .5 of a bear?!

But that's your system. Seeing as you can't guarantee that others are adhering to the same categorisation it limits the numbers transferability of meaning.

I guess I see numbers as disingenuously specific. If Film A is an animated comedy and I gave it a 8/10 and Film B is a harrowing documentary piece that I label as 7/10, that doesn't mean that Film A is definitively better. There's too many factors involved, but if you attach numbers to things people automatically get mathematical, sorting them into charts and databases. I figure it's better to stick with Hit, Miss, Maybe and let the words do the talking.

Anyway...

Yes exactly words! Numericals to no translate to what you liked/hated about the movie they just simplify it too Good - Average - Bad for people who don´t feel like reading why you liked/hated about the movie.

At least that´s what I think...

But that's your system. Seeing as you can't guarantee that others are adhering to the same categorisation it limits the numbers transferability of meaning.

I guess I see numbers as disingenuously specific. If Film A is an animated comedy and I gave it a 8/10 and Film B is a harrowing documentary piece that I label as 7/10, that doesn't mean that Film A is definitively better. There's too many factors involved, but if you attach numbers to things people automatically get mathematical, sorting them into charts and databases. I figure it's better to stick with Hit, Miss, Maybe and let the words do the talking.

Anyway...

Its far too late, and I need to pee! But I do have a response to that. Might post it tomorrow.

Saw 4

What a pile of shit!! Too much story line and not enough gore.

The autopsy at the beginning was the best part, and that wasn't even that good!!

4/10

well, im prepaired for a shit storm for this but: the dark knight 8/10

heath leder was fatnastic but him asside the film wasnt that good, id actualy say batman was hardly featured, opening asside, the first 45 mins were boring. ok, the second half of the film was fantastic, but i fear the film is reciving to much fan wank. yeah, its a great film but its nothing special.

On some points I agree, Christian Bale certainly didn't feature as much as expected, it was more a film about the city and morality than a film about Batman.

I disagree that the first 45 minutes were boring, the first hour or so was brilliant, it has one of the finest opening sequences I've seen in a while. And for being such a highly marketed, big studio picture it's incredibly audacious, which is one reason that many critics are going batshit for it.

It has hugely lowered my opinion of Batman Begins which, although in places fantastic, still had a terribly unrealistic side plot and for just a simple vigilante, Batman seemed to be pretty super. The Dark Knight corrects that, gets rid of all the fluff and unrealistic bullshit and grounds the story in a stark, anarchic reality.

The more I write about it and the more I think about it, the better that The Dark Knight seems, so I'll have to see it again.

dont get me wrong, the bank job intro was great, but that asside, the first 45 mins wasnt exactly riviting. the wole do i need to do thid thing was tiered, spiderman 2 had done it, and arguably done it better. still, when the propper story got going, there were few flaws, but people are acting like the film was perfect, which sadly isnt true. its a great film, but if it wasnt for leger, it would have been averge as fuck.

The Godfather: Part II

Not quite as good as the first, contrary to what others say, but still an absolute masterpiece. Still gets a

10/10

Don't care for Batman, but I saw Wall-E on Friday. It was awesome! One of my favourite movies ever. It was so cuuuuuuuuuute!

I saw the first Nolan Batman last night after renting it from Lovefilm because I am too cheap to buy. It was on Blu Ray which was nice, but like all high definition media you forget you're watching something in super resolution after like 10 minutes.

It was cool. Cool is a rating.

Why 10?

Because we work in decimals so our numerical system has a base of 10. It makes sense for everyone as that's how they work things out. If somebody saw for example 6/10 they can work out easily what that number means wheras 4/7 is a little harder to understand.

Because we work in decimals so our numerical system has a base of 10. It makes sense for everyone as that's how they work things out. If somebody saw for example 6/10 they can work out easily what that number means wheras 4/7 is a little harder to understand.

I was being facetious. It often happens in the early hours.

Also, 7 is a prime number.

I hate primes, because I can't manipulate them as well as I can composite numbers.

1/6 is easy to calculate, you just divide 1 by 3, then by 2. 1/7 is much harder to calculate.

I agree that using the decimal system seems arbitary, but it makes more sense than using a prime number as your base unit.

But... how can you prefer non-primes to primes? Primes are all primey and indivisible and nice colours.

im signing off from this thread until ive seen the new batman movie :(

But... how can you prefer non-primes to primes? Primes are all primey and indivisible and nice colours.

While primes are cool numbers, they are hard to work with.

I'd think of an analogy now, but I've just been outside playing tennis and I'm too hot and sweaty to use my brain right now.

Hairspray

I grudgingly watched it, thinking I was in for a truly terrible experience. I was wrong. It was no where near awesome, but it wasn't half bad either. A couple of good numbers, and Amanda whats her faces character was awesome as was her mother. Her reaction to seeing her daughter kissing the black guy on screen was brilliant.

7/10

Project A Part 2

Second movie in the Project A series starring Jackie Chan. Story follows on directly from the first movie at the end. Story is pretty good, some great action sequences and some great acting from all. 9/10

Bruce Almighty

Oh God, what a classic. Jim Carey never fails to amuse me with his witty lines and crazy flailing...

Thats the way the cookie crumbles!

B-E-A-uuuutiful/10

Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Not bad, not as good as the first. Ending was a bit gay.

6/10

Hairspray

I grudgingly watched it, thinking I was in for a truly terrible experience. I was wrong. It was no where near awesome, but it wasn't half bad either. A couple of good numbers, and Amanda whats her faces character was awesome as was her mother. Her reacter to seeing her daughter kissing the black guy on screen was brilliant.

7/10

High School Musical 2

Good, clean fun.

7.3/10

Sorry, that makes no sense. :wtf:

-----

The Dark Knight

Better the second time, or at least it filled in some blanks I missed out on first viewing.

Better than 10/10

Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Not bad, not as good as the first. Ending was a bit gay.

6/10

I need to see it still. :(

Numero 3 just got announced however! :bowdown: :bowdown: