NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Specify which genre you are classing them as...

General Teen Comedies (Filed under, but not exclusively "Girls")

However, as stated, they are different kinds of film.

Little Miss Sunshine

I love this movie so much.

10/10

also Tina Fey=Win

I wanted to watch The Wrestler this weekend, only problem was the cinema didn't have it showing over weekends, which is naff. So instead i watched

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans

Pretty good movie, wasn't what i was expecting (which was horror for some reason). Loved how

Lucian could control the wolves in both Wolf and human form, made for a great scene/battle in the Vampire castle against the vampires

. Very bloody movie, gore galore. 8/10

Then bought 3 Blu-rays, 2 of which reviewed now

Cliffhanger

Sly Stallone stars. Good movie with a good story to it. Quite liked how mountain climbers could climb minus a rope, made me think i'm not doing that anytime soon. 9/10

Iron Man

2nd viewing of this great movie, views are the same as before. Biggest difference is the explosions on Surround Sound, makes you jump. 9/10

C.R.A.Z.Y.

Another one of those great 'families screw you up' films but a lot of fun. Based on a true story apparently but its about a family of five brothers, specifically one who between the ages of 15-21 struggles with his sexuality and tries to repress it. Complete with a 70's soundtrack of fun. I love the way they revealed the meaning behind the film's name near the end.

Want to buy it now but the cheapest I can find it for is £9 :/

C.R.A.Z.Y.

Another one of those great 'families screw you up' films but a lot of fun. Based on a true story apparently but its about a family of five brothers, specifically one who between the ages of 15-21 struggles with his sexuality and tries to repress it. Complete with a 70's soundtrack of fun. I love the way they revealed the meaning behind the film's name near the end.

Want to buy it now but the cheapest I can find it for is £9 :/

All I've heard is consistent praise for this film.

I need to see it at some point.

Resident Evil: Degeneration

Somehow it felt more like a prologue story to the next RE game, which it probably essentially was. However, the story improved a bit throughout the 90 minutes. I think a stronger focus on the characters and a faster pacing would have improved the film a lot.

Still it seems it's exactly what it wants to be. Something for the fans in the style of the games and it does that very well but what works well in games apparently didn't work that well as a movie. Also I thought Leon was too hardened up. He only talked when necessary and lacked sarcasm.

4/10

All I've heard is consistent praise for this film.

I need to see it at some point.

You should do, t'is a great film. Plus the lead character has crazy anime hair for most of the film;

PDVD023.jpg

Always fun.

Independance Day

3rd Blu-ray i bought over the weekend, and 2nd seeing of this as well. Damn good movie. Always felt sorry for the people on the rooftops who got zapped (i also laughed as well, not sure if that was wrong or not). Loved Will Smiths greeting to the Aliens and the end sequence inside the Mothership.

10/10

no.

How dare you talk about Independance Day like that!... now go to your room!

How dare you talk about Independance Day like that!... now go to your room!

I assume you're being sarcastic, but in the horrifying case you aren't...it's not a very good film. It's...fine. But not 10/10 (in terms of quality).

Independance Day

3rd Blu-ray i bought over the weekend, and 2nd seeing of this as well. Damn good movie. Always felt sorry for the people on the rooftops who got zapped (i also laughed as well, not sure if that was wrong or not). Loved Will Smiths greeting to the Aliens and the end sequence inside the Mothership.

10/10

I can't remember if I bought that recently, as I did with a few doovdes. But it's been plaguing my mind recently. It is a top movie and one thing that pisses me off abotu it, is that my former housemate hasn't seen it all the way through.

Disgusting.

It's extremely meh.

That about sums it up. It's fun during the first watch, but after that it's utterly average.

Guys, lighten up. I'm with EEVIL on this, this film is heaps of fun, and it's good in it's own right.

Plus, it's a lot better than the floater known as "War of the Worlds."

Put it this way: I'd never choose to spend 2 hours of my life watching Independence Day again.

Like, I'd watch it and mildly enjoy it if it were on and everyone else was watching it and there was no other choice, but otherwise, no.

Put it this way: I'd never choose to spend 2 hours of my life watching Independence Day again.

Like, I'd watch it and mildly enjoy it if it were on and everyone else was watching it and there was no other choice, but otherwise, no.

Why? What is so awful about it?

There are far worse films out there.

I wasn't being sarcastic, it's an enjoyable fun film that I like to see every now and again.

And yes, it knocks War of the Worlds out of the park!

I like it too, although it's a odd to see Bill Pullman as the president....well only if you watch Ruthless People first.

I'm always suprised at how few people seem to like War Of The Worlds. I really enjoyed it, and would happily sit down and watch it again, given the chance.

I'm not saying it's amazing by any standards, but it's nowhere near as bad as people seem to say.

Dakota Fanning was the only good thing about War Of The Worlds.

The question on my lips is: Why re-watch these mediocre sci-fi films when you could easily watch Alien?

It's not a lie when I say its a proper 10/10 film.

The question on my lips is: Why re-watch these mediocre sci-fi films when you could easily watch Alien?

It's not a lie when I say its a proper 10/10 film.

Technically Alien is more suspense/horror than a strightfoward "sci-fi". The only one I'd class as plain sci-fi fun is Alien Ressurrection.

But yeah. I could watch that anyday, anytime.

Technically Alien is more suspense/horror than a strightfoward "sci-fi". The only one I'd class as plain sci-fi fun is Alien Ressurrection.

But yeah. I could watch that anyday, anytime.

Now, if you had said "anytime, anywhere", you would have won brownie points, as that would have been a direct quote from Aliens.

Haggis: War of the Worlds just felt half-baked, imo. It seemed to have all this potential, but didn't do much with it at all. Also, the film seemed to just...lose it, halfway through. It seemed ok up until the middle, and then just didn't really progress.

Independance Day takes a different look at things, and it probably becomes too "patriotic and American" during the last third, but it's still good at what it does/is. It's a film which doesn't take itself too seriously. Saying that, the first half of the film is pretty well done.

PajDriver: I'm a huge fan of Alien, but then that is a completely different thing altogether to both Independance Day and War of the Worlds. Alien is all about the claustrophobia, the seven crew members, and the one adversary (well, two if you count Ash). It's a masterpiece of Horror, but I would also argue it's more deserving of the Sci-Fi status than Alien: Resurrection. This film looks at the exploration of Space (something that fascinated many at the time of its release, ever since 2001: A Space Odyssey), the idea of beings from another world, and also the idea of artificial-human beings living amongst humans, without them ever realising. There's so much more, but now I'm waffling.

Naturally, all of these were evidenced in Resurrection, but they all stem from Alien. Everything good from that film is because of its predecessors. Everything bad comes from the awful script and directing.