NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Bridge to Terabithia

I really liked this. Very original and not predictable. Only one film has ever made me cry but this actually got me close to tears. I've been feeling down for a while though so that might have helped.

8/10

The Wrestler

Fucking brilliant. Rourke perfects a character that who is complex but still very realistic and one that the audience can relate to, which, as well as a absorbing script, a fantastic ending and Bruce Springsteen during the end credits; makes Wrestler perhaps the best film of the year.

It would be a shame if didn't at least get a nomination for Best Picture at the Oscars, but Best Actor and Best Original Song are almost certain.

9.5/10

Joe Somebody

Stars Tim Allen as the "AV Guy" no-one notices or respects and life is going no-where until an event happens and then life changes for the better. Until he finds out the truth from a female colleague who helped him originally. Then he earns all the respect he always wanted.

This is one of my personal favorite movies, the story is great and it shows a serious side to Tim Allen after such movies as The Santa Clause and Big Trouble.

I rate this movie 9/10

Chumscrubber

For the most part a typical indie film; "hey look at all these oddball characters we've come up with. Aren't they kooky?" Although the way in which Charlie fought back was certainly...memorable.

But the thing is everyone watches the film knowing what it's about. It would be totally different if you had no idea, and if I ever lose my memory, please remind me to watch Elephant.

I never read blurbs on DVD's and try to avoid trailers to films, as I don't believe (good) films were intended to be watched by an audience tht knows everything that happens.

Hancock

I was hoping I would like this movie more than other people did, given that I absolutely love Superheroes but I can see what everyone talking about now when they said it starts off well but then just fades out.

Maybe if there is a sequel it would be better.

6.5/10

Yes Man

Was pretty great actually. Pretty cool cast. Is the main chick from Elf? Shes hot. She has an interesting voice....I like it, but yeah. Cool film. Very funny in places. Granny blow job was hilariously gross.

8/10

Yes Man

Was pretty great actually. Pretty cool cast. Is the main chick from Elf? Shes hot. She has an interesting voice....I like it, but yeah. Cool film. Very funny in places. Granny blow job was hilariously gross.

8/10

Zooey Deschannel, actually my ideal woman :heart:

Yes Man was alright, I liked that despite being based on a book, only the basic idea of the book was used in the film. None of the things he said yes to in the book where in the film as far as I can remember. The book was better, however.

ROLE MODELs

8/10

Just a great laugh.A nice movie I could see which was just pure lollage escapism

Looks meh. Then again I can't stand that kid who played whatshisface from Superbad. Although I do like the cocaine woman, just becasue of her nipple tweaking adventures on Arrested Development. (and I doubt that kid would even know who Miss Daisy is...)

The Fountain

Nice to look at, not very interesting to watch. All the stuff in the past was dull.

War of the Worlds

Bollocks. Utterly failed in what it was trying to do.

4/10

The Fountain

Nice to look at, not very interesting to watch. All the stuff in the past was dull.

Love this film to death. Hugh Jackman is amazing in it. He blew my socks off. Only thing I don't like about it is Rachel Weiss who can't do an American accent to save her life.

All the special effects are amazing. "Instead of using CGI, Aronofsky chose to do the special effects for the film by using micro-photography of chemical reactions on tiny petri dishes. He has said that CGI would take away from the timelessness of the film and that he wants the film to stand the test of time."

I've seen it about 6/7 times now. It's more an experience than a film.

The soundtrack is also brilliant. Almost minimalist like Philip Glass. Clint Mansell does a great job.

Mhm. It would be nice to have it projected in an art gallery or something. Definately very visual but as far as story goes...well it wasn't really there. Although Rachel Weisz looks better with short hair. I did decide that.

Mhm. It would be nice to have it projected in an art gallery or something. Definately very visual but as far as story goes...well it wasn't really there. Although Rachel Weisz looks better with short hair. I did decide that.

The story wasn't there? Are you sure you were watching with your eyes open?

Meh it was a tad samey. Not saying it was done badly but I've seen lots of people die. And as I said, all the stuff in the past bored me (never really been a fan of the past in general and yes im aware how absurd/stupid that sounds).

None of that really makes any sense.

I think you need to watch it again.

Meh I understood the story but I didn't really engage with it. I like Rachel Weisz's character but if a character is ready to die I don't know why I should invest much in them. (further proof TV is better as it can build stories over a long period of time :p) Hugh Jackman's character was kinda meh. He either looked like Aragon or Rufus Humphrie, and in addition to this I had Dr Cox's rants about Hugh Jackman in the back of my mind.

All in all I would watch it again, but won't be happening soon as the film is due back tomorow.

The Kingdom

Thought it started a little slow, but actually it was pretty well structured and paced. Action really ramps up in the second half and it's great stuff. Great performances from all the cast, and a story that portrays this aspect of the war on terrorism well. There are some right basterds out there!!

7.5/10

The wrestler

yeah, well, owt i say is just repeating. you already know its a powerfull performance, and bassicly what the films about.

ending was either genious or annoying, im trying to decide which.

8/10

Meh I understood the story but I didn't really engage with it. I like Rachel Weisz's character but if a character is ready to die I don't know why I should invest much in them.

That was the point. There is nothing to invest. She's come to terms with the fact that she is going to die. It's about Tommy and his refusal to let go and death being a necessary part of creation. The whole film is about Izzie's gift to him; his realisation that death is natural and that you can only really live when you embrace this, as she had. This we finally see at the end of the film when for the first time he acknowledges what has happened when he plants the seed on her grave and says goodbye.

It's pretty Zen thinking, accepting death as being the only way to defeat it. In a reversal of so many ideas it puts forward the idea that fighting for something we love can be the thing that destroys it.

The are so many levels both visually and thematically I find it impossible to understand how it could not make some kind of connection.

The argument that TV is better than film is also absurd. Of course TV can build over more time. They are both different mediums. Film allows for personal vision, The Fountain being a perfect example of that, while TV is basically a production line.

Having gone through a pile of scripts recently it takes a phenomenal amount of talent to be able to write a competent film. On top of that, this film having it's budget of $75 million cut down to $35 million would have had massive effects and on reflection it doesn't show that much. I really hope one day we see a director's cut of some kind.

I never was able to catch The Fountain from the start so I never watched it.

Also, cocain eating, nipple tweaking woman, who was she on Arrested Development? I love that show, but just can't place her for some reason.

The Promotion

Finally a decent comedy from Seann William Scott. There are a few flaws and it's not that interesting, but it's entertaining and definately worth a watch.

5/10

Step Brothers

Much funnier than The Promotion and probably a better film. Maybe it's because I'm a Tim and Eric fan, but John C Reilly was far better in this than he was in The Promotion.

6/10

Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist

Just bland all over. The only thing of note is how attractive Kat Dennings is, otherwise it's just a flat, weak film with no punch to it whatsoever. Michael Cera is just plain dull, actually draining any life that there might have been from the film.

3/10

Waterworld

Great post-disaster movie starring Kevin Costner and Dennis Hopper. Everytime i watch it, i still find parts i didn't know about. 9.5/10

That was the point. There is nothing to invest. She's come to terms with the fact that she is going to die. It's about Tommy and his refusal to let go and death being a necessary part of creation. The whole film is about Izzie's gift to him; his realisation that death is natural and that you can only really live when you embrace this, as she had. This we finally see at the end of the film when for the first time he acknowledges what has happened when he plants the seed on her grave and says goodbye.

It's pretty Zen thinking, accepting death as being the only way to defeat it. In a reversal of so many ideas it puts forward the idea that fighting for something we love can be the thing that destroys it.

The are so many levels both visually and thematically I find it impossible to understand how it could not make some kind of connection.

The argument that TV is better than film is also absurd. Of course TV can build over more time. They are both different mediums. Film allows for personal vision, The Fountain being a perfect example of that, while TV is basically a production line.

Having gone through a pile of scripts recently it takes a phenomenal amount of talent to be able to write a competent film. On top of that, this film having it's budget of $75 million cut down to $35 million would have had massive effects and on reflection it doesn't show that much. I really hope one day we see a director's cut of some kind.

0_0 I did like it, and I definately connected on it at a more visual level. Call it cold hearted (and im aware its how anyone would act in a given situation) but to constantly be trying to fight death when she had given up. Its honourable and sweet but I dunno....I obviously can't judge as I've never been in that situation.

And the TV comment was an offhanded sarcastic remark. Im aware that each medium has its own benefits, and certain stories suit certain mediums better (which is kinda annoying as every cancelled tv show is heading to comic books and they just don't fit).

And yes considering its limited budget it was certainly a feat. I shall certainly watch it again. Maybe it is better second time round. Knowing how it ends may force me to look at the nuances, the moments of Jackman's character in which he battles with these issues and such.

Waterworld

Great post-disaster movie starring Kevin Costner and Dennis Hopper. Everytime i watch it, i still find parts i didn't know about. 9.5/10

Wow. :blank: