NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Plus A Bug's Life has David Hyde Pierce who is awesome (shame he seems to have aged really quickly since Frasier).

But he doesn't have the Walken Factor, which simply pisses on Niles.

Wall-E is amazing, but i would rate other Pixar films higher than it because i find them more rewatchable than Wall-E. I've seen it twice and dont think i'll be watching it again anytime soon.

Wall-E is amazing, but i would rate other Pixar films higher than it because i find them more rewatchable than Wall-E. I've seen it twice and dont think i'll be watching it again anytime soon.

How comes?

How comes?

I just find the pace of the film too slow, and the first 40 mins or so is spent establishing things that i already know having watched it already. The mystery of Eve is lost, so that isnt as exciting, and there's little else to keep your mind engaged other than how great the animation is. I suppose its the lack of dialogue too, which although is testament to how brilliant it is, actually hurts its rewatchability factor.

I dunno, i just find that beside the cute moments when Wall-E is holding Eve's hand and all that, which is still nice, the film is quite boring once you know everything, right up until they get onto the ship where more is going on, but even then it loses some of the joy of the first watch.

Im the opposite. I've watched the first 30 minutes a few times by itself. Its a wonderful story in itself; the effect isolation has upon someone (and kinda reminds me of BSG; why do they carry on working with no benefits - because thats what they do. so ultimately you could argue it to be an anti-capitalist message but im going off on a tangent here).

Plus obviously the visuals. Its a treat. And being an animation fanboy I do love it :D

I kinda wish they'd made the

auto-pilot

more of a threat.

It was beaten really easily, which felt a bit shit...

I kinda wish they'd made the
auto-pilot

more of a threat.

It was beaten really easily, which felt a bit shit...

Not really.

Man had never had machines rise up against it before, and after 700 years of co-existing, they wouldn't have their finger poisoed on the button to destroy it if it ever rebelled.

So the fact it was easy, but took a while made sense.

The thing about Pixar and Disney is that they reek massively of monopolisation. Sure they're geniuses quite often, but I often feel that the job could be done even better by less family-wallet-orientated companies.

Or I just hate children, I'm undecided.

- On topic! I watched (most of) Dead Poet's Society last night, along with a few others on this forum. I knew from reputation alone that this would be my kind of movie. It felt very much like the movie adaptation of Secret History that I'd built up in my mind, and of course the high arts fancy-pants element is always going to guarentee the movie will succeed in earning high ratings. Robin Williams is a genius, who knows when to act like an idiot and when to just act cool, though I also believe he just plays himself in pretty much every movie, so it's just down to careful role-picking.

The dude from House didn't really need to die. In fact, I've just deleted a lot of sentances that unveil some new thought in me - the film isn't really all that good. It's rather contrived and it relies too much upon stereotypical, never-really-happen occasions in order to sum up an entire era's mentality and the subsequent generation's rebuttal.

The tone was similar to One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, except in an area I have a little more experience in... I don't know. I'm a bit drunk. I think my main point is that this is a movie that looks like it's supposed to be a really good movie. Sure, it probably moved people to tears but upon closer inspection the 'pay-off' was cheap and contrived. I like the film but critically I think it's not as good as I think it is. If you get me...

I'd say Pixar are far less money-oriented than Disney. If you research Pixar you'll see they're big kids really. Plus looking at their history they often strived to push the boundaries of 3D animation in spite of the very real possibility it may get them nowhere (although they did make smart business movies hooking up with Lucasarts (well keeping in contact as they used to work for them), Apple and Disney). They had to fight to get Toy Story made as it was a labour of love. Disney does influence them a bit of course but they do seem more of a company who make products out of love, not money. (Cars may be the exception with the new cartoon and stuff, but then Lassetter does love the film so it could still be love...) Part of their deal with Disney (when they re-negotiated after Toy Story) was that they had control over the merchandising. Toy Story 2 was Disney's idea (as is the 3rd) because Disney own the rights to the franchise, and thus the money its promotional materials make. Originally it was going to be a direct-to-video (and the 3rd was going to be made by Disney without Pixar before there was more re-negotiations). Probably also why Toy Story 1 and 2 are being re-released in 3D this year.

Anyway. Enough history of Pixar while I avoid assignments....

I thought Bugs life was waaay better than Antz, the characters were much more likeable and look better too. The grasshoppers were really cool too. When i was a kid I watched this movie so much. And thought antz was just a horrible rip off. I guess it stuck :)

a room for romeo brass

ok, woah. thats how you make a film. totaly threw me. how could such a rediculous man be so funny yet so frightening. i also liked the touchingness of the boys friendship.

9/10

Dead Mans Shoes

a good movie, enjoyed the first 3/4 alot, thought the tale of revenge was pretty bassic but exciting. i didnt like the ending of it though, thought it went in a direction that didnt really fit the film's tone. i understood it, but i wouldnt have gone like that. still, well directed, and very good performances all round.

7/10

Aaaaammggggzzzzz.

Sex Drive

Erm, awesome. Fucking qual. No beef on the gravy train. It was proper keewwwlll. It was a brilliant proper teen movie, and it didn't rely on gross out to get big laughs. It relied on quirky characters, loveable leads, crazy situations, and just blended together excellently with special sauce. Seth Green and James Marsden were hilarious. And omg....massive omg Amanda Crew...fucking hell. Officially the sexiest thang in the world. I urge anyone with the chance to see this film to see it.

9/10 (I'm undecided on decimal)

Amanda Crew - Made of sex.

Amanda0475_cropped2.jpg

The Forgotten

From the cover I assumed it was another "single mother" haunted by ghosts/unded song or something.

The actual story was therefore very odd. At first I thought, this is moving way too fast, we don't know the character enoguh to appreciate what she's going through, but then that's part of it..

Basically pretty crap. I'd bet my bottom dollar in it's original incarnation, it was an idea for a TV series. Veered into a shitty sci-fi, rather than taut anti-evil government, like it should have done.

Julianne Moore is better than this, and in other films. Best person in it is Alfre Woodard, who I only know as the black woman from season 2 of Desperate Housewives.

3.9/10

I can normally tolerate the internetalisation of the English language but...

Aaaaammggggzzzzz.

Sex Drive

Erm, awesome. Fucking qual. No beef on the gravy train. It was proper keewwwlll.

I think I just died a bit.

Seven Pounds

It took a while for me to have the faintest idea about what was going on, but overall it's a nice story with some great acting.

8/10

I can normally tolerate the internetalisation of the English language but...

I think I just died a bit.

Would it make it better or worse if I confirmed I actually speak like this in real life....? :heh:

Dan in Real Life

Really enjoyable. Moving and funny.

9.5/10

Predator (for first time)

dunno why ive never seen this. Very good film enjoyed it plenty of action. And arnie what more could you want.

8/10

Slumdog Millionaire

Yeah, it could have done without the Indian kid jumping into a pool of shit at the beginning, otherwise...

8/10

The Visitor

Doesn't put a foot wrong. I haven't been as affected by a film in a long time, really great performances from everyone involved and some fantastic drumming to boot.

10/10

Brother Bear

One of my favourite Disney movies.

8/10

Brother Bear 2

...it's aaiiight and the ending was sooo predictable

7/10

No man's land: The rise of the Reeker

It's a decent horror, nothing special

6/10

The Simpsons movie

CLASSIC!

8/10

Final Destination

So I'd never seen any before so thought I'd rent one. What a load of crock. I knew it was meant to be absurd but still. Shit.

And Ali Larter's character was actually called 'Clear Rivers' how stupid. I presumed they were saying Claire but apparently not.

Scary movie, i have the box set, but it was on tv so i felt i was compelled to watch it.

Anyway, like scream but pretty amusing (and i rather like scream too)

7/10

Final Destination

So I'd never seen any before so thought I'd rent one. What a load of crock. I knew it was meant to be absurd but still. Shit.

And Ali Larter's character was actually called 'Clear Rivers' how stupid. I presumed they were saying Claire but apparently not.

Try the third, it's a lot more fun. The first seems to take itself completely seriously, whereas with the third you can definitely tell they enjoyed making up some of the utterly crazy death scenes.

The Goonies

Don't care what anyone else says, this film is ace. Still funny now (Chunk and the car chase and Chunk being interrogated by the Fratellis are just two of the funny bits). Brings back many memories from being younger and I'm still in awe now at the fact that the cavern with One-eyed Willie's ship was full scale: everything you see is real. I would love to have gone to see that set. Wanna watch it again now. Such a good film. Love the bit where Chunk breaks the statue in the house. Couldn't stop laughing.

Anyways, 10 out of 10. My only hope is that noone decides to take up the task of doing a remake somewhere down the line as they'd just ruin it by doing blue-screen and CGI.