NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Probably not, most conversations about him just centre around the fact that he made Firefly, Buffy and such.

Also, the fact that he wrote a shit movie instead of a good movie makes the reaction even more funny.

I just watched Alien now.

It was...good.

It's better than good.

It's better than good.

Common! No massive talking robots? No OTT motion blur? A plot that makes sense?

"good" is a revelation from Rez. lol, I tease.

Yeah it was boring. Lol

But seriously I don't think I understand why it is so revered. What message does this film leave you with that you think about?

• Like 1

It's fucking briliant.

The fact it doesn't have a typical build-up, the characters feel realistic, as opposed to being steretypes, and the main character isn't even highlighted as such for half the film. (There's a lot to talk about RE: the fact Ripley is a female "action hero" without ever being defined as a woman specifically)

It's realistic in a lot of ways, and the idea of space not being a place of laser guns and damsels in distress on alien worlds etc, and rather just a terrifying, isolating place where "No one can hear you scream.".

It's brill and anyone who says it's boring is just a victim of shortened attention spans modern action/suspense films have granted us all. IMO.

I think it's one of those films that to get the full impact you need to know about its circumstances. Like the fact Ripley's part was actually written for a man and how the film created a lot of ideas/images/settings that are standard in films today.

Also, Giger's design of the Alien is just beautiful.

That's right, I'm bringing this thread back! We're gonna get the General section of NE back to it's former greatness!

Spoiler

Train to Busan

Korean zombie movie that I just finished watching on Amazon Prime. Good movie. Setting the majority of it on a train gave it a very cramped feeling which added to the tension of all the zombie moments. Some great characters as well. Definitely worth watching.

I did have to laugh though at seeing the kid open her present and disappointingly look down to see its a Wii :p 

• Like 1

I can't even remember the last film I watched...

It was probably a Studio Ghibli affair when I borrowed all of @Dcubed's DVDs and watched them.

That was a long time ago...

5 hours ago, Happenstance said:

That's right, I'm bringing this thread back! We're gonna get the General section of NE back to it's former greatness!

Trailer (Reveal hidden contents)

Train to Busan

Korean zombie movie that I just finished watching on Amazon Prime. Good movie. Setting the majority of it on a train gave it a very cramped feeling which added to the tension of all the zombie moments. Some great characters as well. Definitely worth watching.

I did have to laugh though at seeing the kid open her present and disappointingly look down to see its a Wii :p 

The first film Seoul Station (which is animated in case this matters) is even better.

Edited by Sméagol

Funny. I just saw Alita: Battle Angel yesterday, and now this thread comes back.

It's way better (and more violent) than I expected. Sci-fi world is well realized, the main characters are endearing, the fight choreography is excellent... It feels like a B-movie in parts, but always with the budget of a blockbuster film. Excellent action film all around, that I expect to become a cult classic (though they're clearly gunning for a sequel).

I ended up watching a film last night, one I picked up with a load of DVD's second hand the other day, it was still sealed too though the disc was loose in the case.

So I decided to open it up and watch it as intended and I guess I might as well write a short review about it seeing as I feel that I need to get back into practice... :D

Underground

Price: £1 (paid)
Publisher: Artificial Eye
Director: Emir Kusturica
Released: 1995
Format: DVD

I should preface this by saying that this film does have a war theme but I wouldn't let that put you off as it's unlike any film with a war in that I've ever seen, although it's constantly going on during the film as it's set against the backdrop of former Yugoslavia, I wouldn't say that it's the main focus even though thematically it's a huge part of the story, you can get the general idea just by watching and taking in the atmosphere.

The real interest is seeing how the story develops between the three main characters, as two of them are "loveable rogues" as you have Marko who manipulates everyone within his reach, Blacky who is foolish but likeable and an actress named Natalija who is the main love interest of the two crooks. Watching how they all become wrapped up in this world of conflict while spiralling into the realms of self-delusion, deceit and debauchery... you can't help but become entranced by it.

All the while there is plenty going on visually as there's a literal Zoo of animals which make appearances throughout the film including a very talanted chimp, (the Zoo scene in particular is perhaps not something you'd see in films these days for probably good reason, so forewarning there) then you have a brass band who make not only the very opening of the film memorable but through the entire performance keep popping up playing a similar theme while will likely get stuck in your head and much more besides which I can't even begin to explain, so I won't.

It's well worth picking up if you get the chance and I can pretty much say that it's likely you'll never see another film like it, although I will note that during certain parts it did remind me of a more modern film, the fantastic Micmacs by Jean-Pierre Jeunet (also a great film) which made me think that he must have taken at least a bit of inspiration from this film even though they are alsmost entirely different.

Verdict: An engaging ensemble containing everything that an unconventional war-themed film should with some genuinely beautiful moments and some great tragicomedy.

• Like 1

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

This just felt like a complete love letter to old school Godzilla fans and I loved it. Some amazing visuals and sound design as well. I can't wait to buy the soundtrack.

The cgi was a bit of a mixed bag unfortunately. Godzilla and Ghidorah looked great but some of the other monsters or uses of cgi seemed a bit cheaper which was a shame.

The human sections were mostly ok, few iffy reasons for stuff but nothing that made me enjoy it less.

• Thanks 1

Baby Driver

Never really paid it much attention until I realised that it was Edgar Wright.

Loved it. Reminded me a bit of Drive, but without the 80s vibe. Little/no cgi, just awesome practical effects and a fairly decent storyline. The way the action synched with the music was also a nice touch.

The only downside for me was that Kevin Spacey has kind of soured it now. He's still a good actor, but just seeing him on screen is still a distraction.

Venom

I’d heard this was one of those movies there was a big disconnect between the opinions of the critics who panned it and the audience who quite enjoyed it. Kind of like Godzilla King of Monsters at the moment so I figured I would finally give it a watch. I didn’t like it at all. Boring movie filled with bad acting and a bland story. I thought Tom Hardy was terrible. I really hope those recent rumours that Sony want this Venom and Tom Holland’s Spider-Man to be in Spider-Man 3 aren’t true.

On 30/05/2019 at 9:06 AM, Goafer said:

Baby Driver

Never really paid it much attention until I realised that it was Edgar Wright.

Loved it. Reminded me a bit of Drive, but without the 80s vibe. Little/no cgi, just awesome practical effects and a fairly decent storyline. The way the action synched with the music was also a nice touch.

The only downside for me was that Kevin Spacey has kind of soured it now. He's still a good actor, but just seeing him on screen is still a distraction.

I really enjoyed this film, too. Saw it a few months ago and loved the style and soundtrack. Lovely film. Had a pretty satisfying ending too, I thought. I was worried that it would run out of steam towards the end, but actually, it was pretty well paced. Great film!

I get what you mean about Kevin Spacey. Not sure what's going to happen now when people rewatch films like The Usual Suspects or Seven. They're not slights on the films themselves...it's just jarring because the fourth wall has been broken. Instead of seeing the character on stage, we can't help but see the actor.

I actually watched Seven for the first time last October and felt it worked in the films favour really but I can't imagine watching something like American Beauty where he's supposed to be a somewhat relatable and redeemable character. 

It feels like there's a marked difference between the likes of Spacey and people like Woody Allen or Louis CK. I don't think I can ever watch anything by either of them again, it's impossible to separate them from the work because they're so tied to their personalities but when the person who has committed abuses of power or appalling crimes is an actor it's easier to look past it, at least when the actor is playing an evil or morally reprehensible character.

Aladdin (2019)

I saw the trailer and thought it was going to be mediocre because Jafar was too young and the CGI on the Genie looked horrible. However, the film was honestly the best live-action movie Disney have done (and although many people will count The Lion King, I won't as it's all CGI). I really, really enjoyed the film. It was light-hearted, funny and managed to stay faithful to the animated version as well as added a great twist to the story we know and love. I was also happy because they didn't try to make the film dark or gothic in any way. Critics were too harsh with this film.

Aladdin (2019)
I saw the trailer and thought it was going to be mediocre because Jafar was too young and the CGI on the Genie looked horrible. However, the film was honestly the best live-action movie Disney have done (and although many people will count The Lion King, I won't as it's all CGI). I really, really enjoyed the film. It was light-hearted, funny and managed to stay faithful to the animated version as well as added a great twist to the story we know and love. I was also happy because they didn't try to make the film dark or gothic in any way. Critics were too harsh with this film.
How out of place was Jasmine's new song though? I was so confused as to what was happening. Good song, but she should have sung the whole thing earlier, and then had a quick callback when she was being held by the guards.

I saw Aladdin last week and I must that it did relive my childhood memory is just that I feel like the cast looks more of an Indian than an Arab. The only thing that makes this film somehow standout is its soundtrack nonetheless I feel like they should have work more on the special effect. Also, I find Will Smith a good genie. 

Saw Zhang YiMou's new film Shadow last night - 4/5 - its got all his trademark visual design, this time leaning on a monochrome look to reflect the duality at the center of the story. But whereas Hero was a more somber tale laced with tragedy, this was just bonkers - to the point where there were multiple laughs in the small screening I was in. Though this was different to what I expected, it was no less enjoyable and worth it for the surprise elements alone (never seen umbrellas used like that before). Don't think it will have as much re-watch value as Hero, but still worth the entry fee.

I loved most of the look, but didn't like the some of the action or story. To be honest I've forgotten most of it already..

Just saw Yesterday. Knew nothing of it, had heard the title as seen a brief snippet, but was with a friend and they said they wanted to see it so I said why not. 

Surprisingly found it really good and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some great laughs in there and a great use of Beatles songs for the premise of the film. Definitely would recommend anyone to go see it. 

• Like 1

The Bye Bye Man on Netflix.

For a horror movie with kills there was no blood whatsoever. people getting hit by cars and trains, thrown down stairs, shot, stabbed. Absolutly no blood, really dissapointed me. Basicly it was half hour of setup and an hour or so of jump scares.