NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Personally I'm not looking through rose tinted glasses at all when it comes to Toy Story.

Whenever I watch them (now or back then) they are just timeless classics!

Such great characters, that exude so much love and warmth, lovely stories, great humour and priceless moments!

Sure Toy Story 1 looks dated now visually, but it doesn't detract from the film at all, which shows how strong it is.

IMO they haven't come close to being beaten by any 3D animation.

The Lion King holds the 2D crown.

I'm not saying Toy Story 1 and 2 aren't great anymore, they rock! But I do think some of the more recent Pixar films are just as good, if not better. Though to be honest pretty much all Pixar films are fantastic, apart from maybe Cars heh.

And no, I don't think any other company producing 3D films comes close to the quality of Pixar. I think the only other 3D film I enjoyed and which I thought was quite good, was Kung Fu Panda.

Toy Story is made of awesomeness!

I've been told The Hunchback of Notre Dame is amazing yet have never seen it, what opinions do people have on it?

Personally, I love it. It's brilliant and it has such a dark tone for a Disney movie, I advise you to watch. The Hellfire scene still creeps me out a little.

Monsters Inc. better than Toy Story?

I quite like Monsters Inc., but I would place it below Toy Story personally. Also, you said somewhere up there Toy Story is better looking than The Incredibles... don't really get how you can say that. The Incredibles looks miiiiiiles better, has much better animation and physics and all that. Just compare the characters to Andy or Sid from Toy Story. Big difference I think.

I judge the films on the humour and story, and I guess how they make you feel. That's how I judged UP too, and probably why I think in a few years time I'll hold it up in the same regard as Toy Story. Just not sure if it's timeless, yet.

The Incredibles would have better physics and animation, as it was made a decade later. But, where I think Toy Story is better is where it's vibrant, and how the Toys actually look and move like I'd expect the toys to move. Some of the characters move rigidly, but you'd expect that...as they're made out of plastic, heh. I thought the animation did well to fit the purpose. I watch the film and I see the characters as "real toys" rather than a computer animation.

I just didn't like the way everything looked in The Incredibles. When I watch that, I somehow know that I'm watching an animation, rather than "toys who move when the owners are not looking." It feels very bland and empty, to me. I don't see the same warmth or vibrancy in the way the things look.

I agree though that the human characters are not that great looking. They do move and look a bit awkward now. Especially Sid, hehe.

Hunchback of Notre Dame is great for many reasons, but none more important than Frollo being voiced by Tony Jay. Tony Jay is also The Elder God from Legacy of Kain, and Chairface Chippendale in The Tick. His Voice is win on similar levels of Morgan Freeman.

Speaking of Voices, I strongly dislike The Incredibles because too many of the characters seem to have an odd lisp and it drives me nuts.

Hmm, it depends what you mean by "better"? Do you mean the stories are better, or that they're funnier? Or just that in general, when you put it all together, they're all better than Toy Story?

By "better" I mean the very definition of "better" in every instance it's written on the internet. As in "I simply prefer them".

Of course, that still means that Toy Story is a brilliant film.

My opinion on Pixar films is the same as my opinion on Ghibli films. They are all great, but they satisfy different demands. Spirited Away is great because its somewhere between serious and fun. Grave of the Fireflies is great because its so damn bleak. Totoro is great because its Totoro etc. Same with Pixar; Toy Story is great all around (as in for everyone). Wall-E is a great love story with dancing robots. Up is a great adventure story. Nemo is great because he touched the butt etc.

Stop listifying and start...testifying?

Agrees with the above. Though that my fave is probably Wall-E. Probz.

Kick Ass

Did what it said on the tin. Everything in it was a classic moment. But perhaps most of all was the soundtrack, which kicked so much ass it's insane. The best of the Sunshine soundtrack + 28 Days soundtrack FTW, plus Prodigy worked surprisingly well.

Also, random mancrushing on the 5th-wheeling friend. He was good in Invasion.

Alien 3.

I like this film. I can understand why it got slagged off, but i just like it anyway.

But yeah, the Alien chase at the end was a low point, and i also cringed when the Alien appeared at highly convenient moments, such as when the leader of the colony is in the middle of an impassioned rant about how ridiculous the idea of an alien on the planet is.

But LOVED Charles Dance as the medical officer, he was amazing. And so was Sigourney Weaver (again).

Did you watch the extended cut (where the Alien bursts out of an ox rather than a dog)?

I'm happy you liked it. Fantastic set design too, the actual creature design wasn't half bad either yet the computer generated bits were pretty terrible.

The first 15 or so minutes are amazing.

Did you watch the extended cut (where the Alien bursts out of an ox rather than a dog)?

I'm happy you liked it. Fantastic set design too, the actual creature design wasn't half bad either yet the computer generated bits were pretty terrible.

The first 15 or so minutes are amazing.

Woah, wut?? An ox?? *goes and puts extended cut on*.

The alien looked sublime in this one i thought, and i was very glad it was back to just the one alien again.

But yeah the CGI bits were a complete eyesore.

I liked 'How to Train Your Dragon' despite it having the same plot of all Dreamworks films... young outsider in a village soon becomes accepted by being their hero... love interest... "are they dead?" sequence at the end.

But it was really good... got my excited for Monster Hunter what with all the giant dragon battles. :P

I actually thought 'Kick Ass' was a bit "meh". Not really sure what kind of film it wanted to be, it wasn't particularly funny to be a comedy, wasn't particularly dramatic to be a drama. More style over substance to be honest. Hit Girl and Big Daddy were great though.

Edited by Hamishmash

I don't think films have to "be" anything.

Kick Ass is unique, because it's uncompromisingly violent and is chock-a-block full of dark humour, and humour that you will only understand if you're a comic book fan (for example, they were coming out of the cinema having seen The Spirit 3, which I actually lol'ed out loud at) - which really made the movie for me. [its the funniest movie I've ever seen at the cinema]

If a film sets out to be a "comedy", there is no doubt it will end out being a shitflick that will appeal to ReZ and Seth Rogen fans only. Similar situation for a drama.

Some of the best things in life just are.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Bizzare but wonderfully entertaining film, which has a unique style and fantastic soundtrack. A few too many, thus under-used charaters though.

8/10

The Royal Tenenbaums

Again, I loved the style and the soundtrack, but in this film from Wes Anderson I fell in love with all the characters, and the story was better in my opinion. I've watched it twice allready! A truly great comedy-drama.

10/10

Have you seen The Darjeeling limited? Another film by Wes Anderson and quite possibly his best one. An absolute charmer of a movie! Go seeee!

exit-through-the-gift-shop.jpg

Absolutely brilliant. Although I won't say why exactly.

10/10

is that the banksy film?

If a film sets out to be a "comedy", there is no doubt it will end out being a shitflick

Well thats obviously not true. Airplane! is a comedy and is probably widely regarded as the funniest film ever. Don't make such ridiculous statements!

One thing that particularly impressed me in Kick-Ass was that Aaron Johnson's American accent never slipped. And he was great in the lead role. Although why is it that characters who are blonde in books are so often dark-haired when they appear on screen?

His voice is fucking amazing, absolutely. Especially when you compare it to his real voice. Extremely good acting. I actually think pretty much all the roles were absolutely perfect.

Read an interesting quote just now, that I thought I'd chuck in here;

if the vast majority of humanity prefers landscapes unlayered with meaning, or simple stories of vengeance that include a lot of explosions, or love stories with the usual complications, this does not mean that those who prefer more complexity are poseurs ... it only means that there are not many of them, just as there are relatively few astrophysicists, cutting edge biologists, and accomplished mathematicians.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~iareview/mainpages/new/aug05/documents/goonan.pdf p.8

The quote insinuates that there is an issue with those 'at the top of the field' of appreciating art are unable to convey precisely why the experience of deeper meaning is worth even experiencing, and that in a sense it is something not learned at all.

Makes me feel good to be a poseur, tbfh.

I don't think films have to "be" anything.

Kick Ass is unique, because it's uncompromisingly violent and is chock-a-block full of dark humour, and humour that you will only understand if you're a comic book fan (for example, they were coming out of the cinema having seen The Spirit 3, which I actually lol'ed out loud at) - which really made the movie for me. [its the funniest movie I've ever seen at the cinema]

If a film sets out to be a "comedy", there is no doubt it will end out being a shitflick that will appeal to ReZ and Seth Rogen fans only. Similar situation for a drama.

Some of the best things in life just are.

No but I just thought most of the humour fell a little flat. I didn't really laugh. (And I am a comic book fan, I liked the nod to "Scott Pilgrim", a film that looks far better).

I don't think Kick Ass was bad by any means but was quite disappointed. It felt like Super Bad, a film hyped to insanity just cos it wasn't as bad as all the other crap in the cinema... but it doesn't really make this one a classic.

Also someone praised the soundtrack which I found really distracting. I think lifting music from other, better, films makes your film seem very, very cheap, almost like a Media Studies film. But then I am a bit of a soundtrack buff :P

Read an interesting quote just now, that I thought I'd chuck in here;

http://www.uiowa.edu/~iareview/mainpages/new/aug05/documents/goonan.pdf p.8

The quote insinuates that there is an issue with those 'at the top of the field' of appreciating art are unable to convey precisely why the experience of deeper meaning is worth even experiencing, and that in a sense it is something not learned at all.

Makes me feel good to be a poseur, tbfh.

I came in last night and my dad was watching 2012, and I knew he had seen it before. I asked, "Why are you watching this?"

"It's entertaining."

"But it's shite at the same time."

"The point of films is to be entertaining."

And it's just kinda like "..." please, watch a real good'un. I actually recommended Dark Knight and he still hasn't watched.

----

The Hours

You are the most beautiful one I've ever laid eyes upon.

9.1/10

Edited by chairdriver

The Hours

You are the most beautiful one I've ever laid eyes upon.

9.1/10

I saw this when I was about 14 (I think?) and it had a profound effect on me. It is such a beautiful film.

I mention The Hours in my emo-post on the Abstract Thoughts Thread.

I'm just blown by the whole affair. How everything tied together in a knot.

It's wrong, but the boy in it is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life. And he was just so knowing. He knew that his mother was suffocating in her suburban life. But then innocent at the same time. I thought to myself "this child has some significance" long before it's revealed

he's the Richard in 2001.

Of course he goes on to become a poet / gay.

I feel unable to combine everything I'm thinking together into a readable post, because there's just too many thoughts going on!

Genuinely astounded by Nicole Kidman's performance. She looks a different person! And Julianne Moore.

I need to read Mrs. Dalloway, and just generally read more. And get over my inability to spend time.

And I loved how everything in the film was left unexplained. Why did Julianne Moore just leave / try to commit suicide? Did she change her mind because she read Mrs. Dalloway? What happened to Richard after the father/sister died?

Edited by chairdriver

I liked how they never explained the

sister (apart from "she died".). I assumed she had an abortion.

But yeah, aren't you glad I made you watch it? :)

Back to the Future Part 2

Doc is a sexy oldman I give him an OMR of 8/10

The whole thing screams nostalgiiiiiiiiiia in my brain as I'd not seen it since I was a young chap but it all came screaming back to me.

Most enjoyable. :grin:

6 SPICY BEARS OUT OF 7.