N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

i watched 2 films yesterday... one was called caffeine & was set in a london cafe... all the characters developed over the course of this one afternoon - it was funny and a nice little story... but i felt really let down by the ending

one character turns out to be gay, something i'd assumed to be a fact from about 27 seconds into the movie. (he was wearing a sweatband halfway up his arm...of course nobody but gay novelists do that.)

:grin:

saying that, some of the directing was quite good - like when characters mind's wander and they start to imagine the person they're sat drinking coffee with doing strange things... i can't explain without ruining various character plots ~ it's fun, but has no doubt been done before...

the second film i watched was the ex which was OK - because i could oggle zach braff and all his 2 facial expressions~ but made me just wanna watch garden state again - over and over again until i couldnt remember i'd watched the ex at all...

caffeine - 7/10 <really good characters, script, only let down by the lame "revelation" at the end...

the ex - 4/10 <mind candy

I quite like the American Pie series (well actually just 1 and 2), but they are nowhere near as good as Superbad. Or if not, then I don't know how you could relate more to American Pie then Superbad. Who here is or knows someone who has stuck their cock in a pie? Who is or knows someone who tried to get served alcohol under age? I may be being a bit ignorant in just focusing on these parts but you get the idea :heh:then again i am asking this on a nintendo forum....=P

I feel the same. I have never entered a pact to get my end away in a certain time period. I have however had best friends, and I have tried to buy alcohol underage, and I have been jealous of my friend's friends, and I have lost friends when I went to university/moved house, and I have come to the realization that getting drunk is not the way to get girls.

Superbad is much more mature. American Pie says getting drunk *is* the best way to get girls.

I mean McLovin vs. The Sherminator. One is a real person that we all know and the other isn't, and Fogel is all the more funnier for it.

Actually, Robocop is a very insightfull manifesto against fascism. Much like Starship Troopers. :heh:

I'll give you STs but Robocop?! Naaaah... it's 80s action movie testicles that tries to put across something like a 3yr olds painting. Especially the BBC edit should be destroyed: "Once, I even called him airhead"

I'll give you STs but Robocop?! Naaaah... it's 80s action movie testicles that tries to put across something like a 3yr olds painting. Especially the BBC edit should be destroyed: "Once, I even called him airhead"

Hey, Robocop and ST were made under the same premise, even Verhoeven said so. Obviously none of them is masterfull, but they both have their point.

Make sure Oxygen agrees with your rating :p

Hey!! I'm not that uptight! :(

Hey, Robocop and ST were made under the same premise, even Verhoeven said so. Obviously none of them is masterfull, but they both have their point.

Well ST works for me but Robocop doesn't (but then again that's probably because it works off the back of most of what he did in Robocop).

Hey!! I'm not that uptight! :(

Haha! I'm kidding! But talking less in absolutes would be welcomed.

Robocop is an awesome film, as long as you arent watching any of the frankly dire TV edits. It's probably even more relevant now then it was in the 80's, its not like the meaning is particularly hard to get its practicaly rammed down your throat for the whole movie.

Short Cuts

Altman is a brilliant voyeur of the human behaviour. I don't necessarily agree with all of his takes on the Carver stories, but then that's kind of the point of his stories :)

One thing; in one of the extras on my super-awesome Criterion edition of the movie sees Tess Carver giving Altman some of Raymond's old clothes and ties; clothes ink stained, with some of Raymond's motherfucking cigerettes still in the motherfucking pockets, and the ties kept tied just as Raymond always kept them... and he just seemed to be above it.

I can understand that he behaves like nothing affects him because he's a genius, and I totally understand his life philosophy, and indeed agree -- even admire a lot of it... But I didn't like that.

Great film, mind. 9/10.

Does anyone here have any of the other Criterion Collection DVDs? Or even know what I'm talking about?

American Psycho, somewhat a favourite of mine. Although not amazing I still think it is rather good, with the film making a very good job from what I feel would be very difficult source material. I love Chrisitian Bales acting in this movie, although I can understand if he is at times a touch goofy for some people. The ending I felt was also admirably ambiguous, leaving the viewer to draw their own conclusion. I give it a 7/10 :)

A very fair review. I think we need to impose some rules for the scoring of films. A lot of people give everything 10/10 or 1/10 and don't use the spectrum of numbers inbetween (like Nintendo Official Magazine) whereas the rest of us seem to use all of the numbers and rate something that's good at 6 or more (like EDGE).

I propose that everyone use the EDGE standard of scoring from now on.

I started watching No Country For Old Men. And stopped watching after an hour.

I'll give it another chance when I'm in the mood for a really, really slow movie.

Like you say, you have to give it another try. If you don't then appreciate the awesomness of the movie, then there's something majorly wrong. Also, really, really slow my arse. :heh:

American Psycho, somewhat a favourite of mine. Although not amazing I still think it is rather good, with the film making a very good job from what I feel would be very difficult source material. I love Chrisitian Bales acting in this movie, although I can understand if he is at times a touch goofy for some people. The ending I felt was also admirably ambiguous, leaving the viewer to draw their own conclusion. I give it a 7/10 :)

if you like the movie - you should read the book... it's really good (and i dont tend to like that sort of thing...*) ir's very graphic though. at one point i had to put it face-down next to me on the bus seat cause i couldnt read that particular chapter and be in motion at the same time... O___o but the book gives you must more of an insight into bateman's character. veeeee good ^^

*saying that my favourite book of all time is "battle royale"... so i guess that's all true, true, true... except for the LIES. :grin:

Be Kind Rewind

Don't normally like Jack Black films but I have to say I really enjoyed this one. Would give the film itself a 6/10, but the remakes of the films had me pissing myself and I'd give those a 10/10 so overall, I'd give this...

8/10

It's worth watching for the remakes alone!

Waterworld

Kevin Costner stars, movie is set in a world where the ice-caps have melted and the world we know of no longer exists. A great movie, Coster plays the mariner who seems to be pissed off at all times. Good supporting actors/actresses throughout and humour in places is a little dry, but still good. 8/10